Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding - how often? And when to go up a size?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  18:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have a 3 year old corn snake, and wanted some advice about his feeding - everywhere I look there seems to be conflicting information!
He's 3.5 feet (105cm) long and 3cm in diameter at his widest point. At the moment he's getting one small mouse per meal (they're 8cm long and 2.5-3cm wide.) We feed him this every 7-10 days - we were told to wait until he went to the toilet before feeding him again, and it takes him this long to go. Is this too long a gap between meals? Do we need to wait for him to go to the loo, or should we just feed him anyway at a set time interval? And is this enough food per meal, or should he be getting more? He looks healthy, he's active, and sheds regularly. Sorry for all the questions, we're just very confused!

Thanks so much, Gemma.

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  19:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gemma you don't need to wait till he poops this is the first time I've heard this to be honest...also your corn can take a meal 1 and a half times the fattest part on his body but if you feel the next size up is to big then feed him 2 small mice i do that with some of mine i also feed mine every 7 days and its done them no harm...hope this helps and don't worry about asking questions that's what were all here for

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja

Edited by - princessbroxy on 15/11/2010 19:24:17
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  19:49:23  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Gemma
Welcome to the forum.
I'll second what princessbroxy says, no need to wait for him to go to the loo first. Must admit that's a new one on me, not heard it before.
I'd give him 2 of the size you feed him next time and if he takes them ok then go up a size. He's about the same size as one of mine who is on medium mice and has one a week.
There is a lot of conflicting advice out there but I found this was (IS) by far the best and most informative forum when I started out. Everyone if very friendly and will always try to help you. Just remember there's no such thing as a daft question.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 15/11/2010 19:50:01
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  20:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard the feed after a poo advice before either and I've heard lots of different things. I too feed every 7 days (Sunday) it just makes timing it easier. I wouldn't be concerned about the time it takes to poo either, as long as your temperatures are correct and you have a hot end and cold end then it isn't a problem. To get a good idea of the right size mouse to use, use the thickest part of your snake, they can eat 1.5 times the thickness of their own body. Doesn't have to be exact, but a bit smaller is always better than too big.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000