Wattage restriction on Exo terra canopy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  15:46:02  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YO!

I have recently bought an Exo terra terrarium for my BRB and the canopy that fits on top for lighting has a bulb wattage restriction of 26W. Does this mean i can use a 20W energy bulb that = 60w?

The reason i ask, is that the genuine exo terra bulb, or any other bulb especially for vivs, are well expensive. I only use it for light and not for heat. I just paid a quid for 5 bulbs!!!

Let me know

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  16:07:38  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No idea on the answer but I do know those tops melt and warp very easily!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  16:21:07  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ahh, when you say tops, do you mean the mesh viv lid?

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  18:00:22  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I mean the canopy top that houses the lights!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  20:37:44  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just checked now, and the 60 w bulb I originally just tried for 5 mins has melted it!!!.
I just need to know the answer to my question!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  20:40:48  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats quite a design flaw if they warp!!! Certainly will make me think twice about getting one in the future if I get a reptile that needs a heatlamp.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  07:20:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve

I have recently bought an Exo terra terrarium for my BRB and the canopy that fits on top for lighting has a bulb wattage restriction of 26W. Does this mean i can use a 20W energy bulb that = 60w?

as far as i'm aware..............the energy saving bulb you want to use is 20W so should be fine to use in the canopy with a 26W limit. the 60W rating the energy saving bulb quotes means it gives out the same light as a normal 60W bulb.

quote:
Originally posted by drchino

Thats quite a design flaw if they warp!!! Certainly will make me think twice about getting one in the future if I get a reptile that needs a heatlamp.

they're NOT designed for a heatlamp!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 03/11/2010 07:22:07
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  11:05:37  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drchino

they're NOT designed for a heatlamp!

Oh ok, I thought they were! Could have sworn I'd seen them with a heat lamps in but I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to them cos I don't have a need for one...yet

Thanks for clearing that up though, maybe I still will consider one for my cresties UVB light then!

Edited by - drchino on 03/11/2010 11:05:51
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  14:36:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i've got one for my Maddies' UV.....i do like them but i must admit i was disappointed to learn they weren't suitable for a heatsource too

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  16:17:29  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is quite dissapointing. I'm in two minds about exo terra stuff, they always look great but I always hear bad things about them! I guess it's a love hate relationship!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  17:45:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i kinda like the look of some of the hides but they're a complete bu***r to clean.......dislike-hate relationship for me in reality lol

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  15:16:34  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't bothered with any of the hides, I was looking at them but my snake always hides under her plants or in toilet roll tubes rather than the hides I spent money on. I'm not buying her anymore now the ungrateful little bugger! She'll get some new plants and vines at some point though cos she does love them.

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2010 :  16:17:24  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of a how to sort out a ceramic heat source in these types of vivs? As the canopy cant deal with warm, never mind heat!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  16:37:31  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
??

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  11:17:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
either a heat mat secured to the underside of the viv or on the viv floor, or a heat lamp in an aluminium 'shade' thingy (can't think of what they're called!!!) resting on the mesh lid

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2010 :  11:28:30  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i would rather do the latter, however the mesh is fixed in, in four seperate sections divided by the rubbish plastic that melts easy. Thats my problem. i currently use a mat (with stat obviously) but when she gets larger, i would like to use a ceramic bulb. Would it be possible to put the ceramic bulb on the floor and somehow guard it?

Ta!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000