hypo hogg island boas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  23:14:52  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sooo... having recently getting a hogg island boa (which was top of my wishlist since getting my 1st corn!) I was wondering if sum 1 could explain to me how do you get a hypo hogg island boa? (sunset?) as i thought they were already a naturally occuring hypomelanistic boa? so would it then be a hypo hypo? if so how and why? confused.com!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  10:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hogg islands are a naturally occuring hypo, however, the hypo is not the same as the hypo trait you find in bci's, such as salmon hypo and g-line hypos. A hypo hogg island is not a sunset boa, its called (technically wrongly) het sunset.
Because the Hypo trait is co dominant, if you put 2 together you get a super hypo, and the superhypo hogg is the sunset boa.
the thing with the hypo hoggs, they are not true 100% hoggs, they cant be.
For example, this year, i have hypo hoggs and normal hoggs babies, the mother is a true Hogg, the father was a hypo hogg, his parents would have been a normal hypo bci and a hogg island. So as a result, the babies are 75% hogg island.
For the most part, they look like hoggs, but the fact that they are also 50% het albino shows the bci influence.
Boa genetics are surprisingly easy, and very similar to corns, its understanding how recessive, dominant and co dominant genes work.
Albino, and anery are recessive, hypo is CO-dominant, jungle is co-dominant, t+ is recessive (both traits, blonde and nic)
there are others, but its quite limited at the mo.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  22:58:48  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
that makes more sense thanks mike!
arent they awsum snakes? so docile! yet fantastic colours and the feeding response i got from my guy WOW!
EDIT - I will have 2 check with the OH but have you got any female true hoggs for sale??

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!

Edited by - mikeyd_26 on 06/11/2010 23:01:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic