Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  03:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok.. I am a total snake lover :D I know i've left to too late to actually own one but I live with mum and she is total opposite me... she is toooo scared of them. I've finally made up my mind that I will go and get one very soon. (Corn Snake)

This is where the problem starts... mum travels between UK and Cyprus alot so when she's gone, I could keep my snake at home but when she's back... I need another location for it. All I can think of is my shed.

Now, I know temperature is very important for it and Londons weather is poo and cold :/ How can I make it liveable environment for my snake to stay?
Is it possible? :/

Help would be appreciated :)

P.S. I actually think its evil to keep it in shed but I run out of options.. its either no snake or snake in shed :(

***edited for language, OP please taked note.***

Edited by - gingerpony on 25/10/2010 08:35:58

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  09:42:28  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd say the weather is far too cold to keep a snake outside at the moment. Your cold end should be around the 20 degrees area and my thermometer outside is saying that its currently 2 degrees! You could have 2 heat mats; one for the hot end set to the higher setting and the other in the cold end set to 20 degrees. Or another option would be to have a heater on in the shed at all times. So I guess technically it's possible but in the winter you would want to make sure that you're equipment is working and accurate otherwise you might end up with a frozen snake. Oh and you would want an escape proof viv cos you'd most likely never find it if it escaped.

A better option would be to take your mum to see some cute little hatchling corns, that usually gets people over their fear! My mum has admitted that my snake is actually really cute

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  09:47:40  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Is the shed heated and insulated? It would be possible if it is.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  11:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does she really go in to your bedroom that often? Im sure you could get away with it in there somewhere!

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  11:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with drchino,take your mum to see some hatchlings.
My mum was always wary of snakes and was nervous of coming round my house when I first got Loki.
She watched me with him,I asked her if she wanted to stroke him and after a few minutes more she held him. She's now gone from being afraid to thinking he's a beautiful gentle animal. Its worth a whirl

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  11:39:52  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I take it ur shed has electric running it in?

also when u say ur mum goes there ALOT how often? as if your contantly moving the snake back and forth it could stress it out.

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  14:34:58  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think you're better off trying to convince her to let you have one in your room
Tell her all the good things about snakes!
They dont make a mess, they teach you lots of responsibility (dunno how old you are)
They are unlikely to bite if you tame them, plus she wouldnt be holding it anyway!
They don't chew up the furniture, etc etc :)
Let her know you've done alot of research and know what your doing with the snake, this did it for my mom.

The only other option is to insulate your shed very well and get electric running through it, which I guess would be very expensive...
just beg! and do lots of nice things for her ;D !!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  17:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx for the replies.. here is the senario, Shed is not insulated :/ yes I could run electric in there BUT no matter what I use to keep it warm, it will be in the back of my mind that its really cold outside lol I was thinking of a proper vivarium, proper heating with temp control but shed is the last option for me.

coming to convincing mum, how can I convince someone that cant even talk about snakes? :/ I mention it to her and she has a nightmare the same night :/ however, I am 22 (Rachiepotatoe), and I do have the power of ignoring how she feels and buy my snake regardless BUT i rather not choose that path :/ (still deciding lol)

Aint there no equipment for temperature control that would provide heat at balance at all times? so when it gets colder, it heats up, and when its hot that cools down :/
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  17:24:12  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could always buy one of those convection heater things that you plug in but depending on the size of your shed you may need a couple and im not too sure how warm it would actually make your shed. It would be worth a try but obviously would be costly and a waste of money if the temperature is not sufficient. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  17:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was thinking of a equipment for the vivarium... I could spend around £200 - £300max for viv, temp, decorations etc I really need a snake, in that way mum would leave house and i wont have any problems hehe :(
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  17:42:20  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can get a full set up for about 100-150 quid. So the rest you could spend on looking for a good heating source. Obviously it is your decision but thats what I would do. I hope you arrange something soon. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  18:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would something like this work?
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bearded-Dragon-Starter-Kit-36-3ft-Vivarium-/110586597560?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item19bf7990b8#ht_1715wt_905)
or would it be better if I bought a vivarium and got the equipment seperately? :S
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  19:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sand and UV lighting is pretty much useless for corn snakes, and i've heard bad things about those heat rocks.
It'd probably work out cheaper buying things separately - then you could make sure that you only get what you need
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  20:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
true... I just hope I can make it possible for my snake to live in shed without any problems :/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  20:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, i've been doing some research, I found this Reptile Vivarium Ceramic Heat Emitter - Heater 150W http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Reptile-Vivarium-Ceramic-Heat-Emitter-Heater-150W-/120522352996?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item1c0fb12964#ht_3102wt_1139.... I am thinking, what if I was to get 3 or 4 of these with temperature controller and set up the vivarium like this... wouldnt this make it possible for me to keep my snake in shed?
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  20:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Talk to your mum, keeping the snake in the shed would just be so much hassle and expense. Explain to her that it'll be your responsibility and she never even has to see it if it's in your bedroom. Ask her to trust you, snakes aren't as bad as people believe they are. It's the stupid owners who portray the danger that the snakes get stuck with, they just wanna be left alone most of the time.

Just try talking to her first, tell her you won't even use the word snake just call it "That thing I want to buy" if it helps her lol.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  21:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol I already have :) She is going abroad in a month time and she has a month to accept it... until then, I am saving money for the set of of vivarium weather it is in shed or in my room. IF she don't accept it... I will buy it anyway and keep it in my room until she's back :D
I know, alot of people judge snakes because they are simply snakes. They dont try and see they are as much pets as they are as other pets you get from a Pet Shop :/ I can understand, people fear it but they shouldn't judge a book by its cover :D
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  22:09:45  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLB0ywx-X00 show your mum this vid, worked for me :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  22:31:17  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Keeping the snake in your room is a much better idea than in the shed. Without proper heating and insulation it would be a nightmare to keep the temps correct in the shed and far too costly.
Get a tiny freezer for the shed to keep your mice in instead. I've got a feeling your mum would go bananas if she went to the normal household freezer and found a load of mice!!
Please think carefully tho'..... what happens when your mum gets back and freaks out because you have a snake? Will she force you to "get rid of it" and how would you feel then, not to mention the poor snake? What a dilema.....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

Edited by - herriotfan on 25/10/2010 22:32:15
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  00:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not doubting your love for snakes, I too (along witheveryone on here) love snakes, I have for 1 reason or another waited about 8 years to get a snake and it really was worth the wait but unless you can house and provide everything the snake needs especially heat then you should hold off a little longer, until you have discussed it properly with your mum (ie she agrees) or you have your own place and then keeping the snake in a shed wont be an issue. Cornsnakes are tough but not that tough.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2010 :  01:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stotty01, vid was good... seen few more of those after that video aswell! good advice hehe will definately keep it in mind in the process of changing mums opinions on snakes. coming too keeping the snake in shed, unless I can perfect the shed and the vivarium for snake... i wont be buying one! even if it does mean a long wait :/ Plus, I would want my snake to be around me so I know everything is fine and I can check it when ever I want so it all comes down to mum unfortunately.
We'll see what happens
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000