Heating Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larkspeed
Snake Mite

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  08:16:59  Show Profile  Click to see Larkspeed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I purchased a 1 meter long corn snake complete with an all glass Terrarium for 75 Euro.

The terrarium is 40cm Deep, 50cm Tall and 80cm wide.

For light and heating it has a 50w halogen heat spot in the middle and an 8w heat mat under the left side.

I am wondering if that is sufficient heating for a Terrarium of that size as according to the thermometer, which I have about 3 cm from the floor on the hot side, it is only getting to about 24c on the hot side.

I was thinking of changing the heat mat to a 28cm x 28cm 14watt unit is this necessary or even in fact a good idea?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  09:17:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd ditch the light and get the bigger heat mat

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  11:02:43  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
do you have a thermostat? you need to be measuring the floor temp with a digital thermometer as the dial ones are rubbish,it that is what you are using

Go to Top of Page

Larkspeed
Snake Mite

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  18:19:46  Show Profile  Click to see Larkspeed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's not a dial one it's a small standard thermometer with red fluid in it mounted just above the floor.

And i don't have a thermostat yet but trying to find one that is not stupidly overpriced here.

Edited by - Larkspeed on 22/10/2010 18:28:13
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  19:24:37  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
your main priority is to get a stat then or you will have no way of controling the temps.

Go to Top of Page

Larkspeed
Snake Mite

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  20:26:23  Show Profile  Click to see Larkspeed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok well i'll be ordering a stat in a few mins

what I am a bit confused about though is sensor placement on a digital thermometer.

I have sources digital thermometers here for 7 euro each but where exactly do i place the sensor?

I'm getting the impression that the sensor should actualy be stuck to the floor under the substrate?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  20:29:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my thermometer probes are on the substrate above the heatmats in the warm end, pinned down with viv decor - hides, rocks etc - and rubber banded to the thermostat probes

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  22:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 thermometers, I have 1 attached to the stat probe by rubber band in the hot end just on the surface (where the snake would be) next to a hide so its not obviously visible but has line of sight to the heating bulb, the second is in the cold end inside the other hide again just on the surface out of view.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000