Heat Mat - how long to get hot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  22:05:21  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Can you give me advice? I am picking up snakey tomorrow and so have set my faunarium up and just popped on the heat mat (with stat) to get it warm and ready. I have taped the mat to the underside of the tank as its plastic and I assumed would heat quickly and sufficiently. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to the required heat - have set at 30 for now? I have thermometer but dial type so will get a digital one shortly as I read dial ones arent too brill. However I have the stat and thus I hope that should be enough for now. My heat mat is 7W and a third of the tank so I assume ok. Just worried Tiko wont be warm enough. All I need is for someone to say it will be plenty warm in a few hours!
Thanks guys in advance
Lucy

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  22:22:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a small mat should get up to temp and stabilize well within an hour, i'd still use the dial thermometer till you get a decent digi one, just place it on top of the substrate above the mat

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  22:27:01  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thankyou, i have just moved it to above the substrate and it has gone up to about 28 already.

Thanks for the help

Lucy
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  09:28:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you can pick up digital thermometers for about a fiver, i like the slightly more expensive twin probe thermometers that are about £8 and you only need one

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000