Eating problems for 2 of my snakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  06:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my snakes would not eat at all, we were feeding with frozen pinkies and then we switched to live pinkies, he showed a lot of interest in the live pinkies and would attempt to eat one. He would grab it by the stomach (thought they went for the head?) and work his way to the head and then let the pinkie go as it was squirming around. Now he wont even show any signs of interest in the pinkies at all. I've tried splitting the head open for brain matter and "assist feeding" as well as dipping the pinkie in tuna juice (heard it some where) but nothing.

My other corn wouldn't eat at all and i tried the "assist feeding" and he scarfed it down after that, but now will not eat again.

We took one corn back to the pet store due to it not eating and they keep us updated about the snake, he's going on 3 months now without eating. I'd like to get him back but not if he isn't going to eat. this is not one of the other two i just mentioned.

What people have identified my corns as.

0.1.0 - Rosie - Caramel or Hypo Motley
1.0.0 - Houdini - Amber or Caramel
1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  06:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for double post but it kept giving me a runtime error when hitting the edit button.
Just wanted to add that i took the first snake and put him in his own viv and left two live pinkies in the viv as well. i try to take care of the pinkies so they wont die, so hopefully he will just eat one at one point.

A guy at a reptile shop told me to drop the snake in a small paper bag with a live pinkie and close the bag and guaranteed meal.....he was wrong.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  12:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes leaving a pinkie overnight will work, as it means the snake feels more secure and it's quiet and dark so they don't feel threatened at all. I'm assuming the snakes all have their own tanks?

Are your snakes pooing and drinking regularly? Are they active still? How old are they?

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  12:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heating with a hairdryer so the scent wafts over their housing often works,
boiling in water and then offering the pinkie still warm but not boiling can work,
someone suggested putting a small bit of marmite on the pinkies head but it didnt work for me..

have you tried offering a chopped up mouse tail? because of its shape its often easier for them to swallow and can encourage them to feed for themselves - my littlest one Aura showed signs of trying to swallow them for herself after 2feeds.. it took her a while to take a whole pinkie on her own but a year after getting her and assist feeding for about 8 months she finally ate on her own

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  16:01:05  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I heard that force feed then let it do more and more for itself until it is completely swallowing and you are just putting it in its mouth if you understand what I mean? :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

31 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  17:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really to comfortable force feeding my snakes. I'd rather just assist feed or try other techniques.

1.0.0 - Dorky - Ghost
1.0.0 - Casper - Snow
0.1.0 - Candy - Amel
1.0.0 - Bandit - Anery
1.0.0 - Albie - Butter
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  13:59:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what are your set-ups like?
if there's a problem there it could have a knock-on effect on feeding

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000