Hi !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  22:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, literally just joined here just to get some information and research a little bit more!
I'm hoping to get a corn this month, but have two worries. Maybe someone can give me some advice?
It's not a definite decision yet, I'm still mulling. Obviously I definitely want my own little snake to keep me company, but as I live with my mother's boyfriend it's a little difficult.

We live in a flat and there's not a huge amount of space in my room, which is the only place I would be able to keep my corn. I'd definitely be willing to move some things around but just want to make sure of the space I'll need - is around 70cm width about right?

Also, I'm off to uni in a year. I'm going to look into lancaster/warwick and see what their snakey policies are... but otherwise, is it really awful of me to just have my guy or girl for a year? Has anyone else had this issue?

I think that's all for now. Thanks all. Loving all your corns! They're so damn beautiful, I'm jealous. (:

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  02:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Astrid, it is really good that you have joined us, especially as you have done so before you have got your corn so you can do some research and decide whether it is the right pet for you! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is Care Sheet helpful. Also have a look at Your 1st snake. I assume it is hatchling you are thinking of getting so Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 is definitely a good place to start.

To answer your questions, you are right that you need about 70cm for the width of a viv. One of my adult's viv's is approx 75cm long by 38cm wide and the other is bigger. Obviously, for a hatchling you would start with something much smaller, about 45cm x 30cm.

Now for your next question. I can only answer this from how I feel personally, and if it turns out that you cant take your snake with you to uni so you would only have it for a year then I dont think it is fair on the snake or you to get one. The snake would have to go through getting settled in with you and used to being handled by you....and then when you went to uni it would have to go through the stress of a move and the whole process again (and you have the risk of it going to someone who might not care for it properly). But I am also worried about you. You will be surprised how attached you get to your snake and it will be so difficult for you to abandon it after a year. We all joke about corn snakes being addictive....but they are. They are such lovely pets that once you have one you enjoy it so much you soon want another....so to get rid of yours after only a year of having it, I couldnt imagine doing it . I am so pleased that you have thought ahead to when you go to uni ....too many people dont and just buy their snake and then dont know what to do when that time comes. In the end no-one can say that you are awful for getting the snake and only having it for that time, there is no right or wrong answer to your question....it is for you to decide as to whether you do get a snake and only have it for that year.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . Like the fact that so many shops will sell a snake with a starter set up, but not let you know that you need a thermostat to control the heatmat and a digital thermometer to monitor the heat - 2 vital pieces of equipment. I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I hope I have been of some help. I can totally understand why you are so tempted to get a corn, they are so beautiful ....but well done for thinking the way you are, for your sake and for your snake's sake.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  11:39:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

85 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  17:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! Yes I have to go with KELLOG on this one. They are awesome pets, but if the policy at Uni won't allow them it may be in you and the snakes best interst not to start that relationship. I got severely attached to mine, quickly. It went missing for 12 hours and I was freaking out, so I could imagine owning it for a year and not being able to take it with me. I really hope they will allow you to take it with you .

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  19:14:56  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had the same uni problem last year.
I was meant to go to uni, and live in halls and all that but no snakeys were allowed. I was willing to travel almost 2 hours to get to uni so I could stay at home with my snake, I couldnt bare to leave him or send him away. I decided not to go to uni anyway after all, so I still have him :)

If you really have to move to halls i'd suggest not getting one right now, maybe wait until you live in a flat and can beg your landlord and flat mates to let you have one :)

P.s welcome!! :D

Edited by - rachiepotatoe on 04/10/2010 19:15:16
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  21:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. I too have to second Kellogs opinion,I've had Loki for 7 weeks now and I can't imagine not having him.....totally smitten with the little guy
You'd be surprised how quickly you become attached to them.
Really hope you get the answer you want snake policy wise from uni

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  22:09:35  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
easy solution - get 1 dont tell any 1 and get a lock on ya door!! simples!! :]
But otherwise a cornsnake can be a 20 year commitment

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  22:13:33  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Like everyone is saying you need to think ahead if you plan on going to uni.
Who will look after your snake when you go if you can't take it with you?
They are super pets to keep but they are a responsibility like any other.
If you go to Cambridge uni you could always ask me to snake sit...I'm not far from Cambridge!!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000