Page: of 2

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  03:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Well, Ive actually been on here for like 3 months or maybe more and I have been researching for about 6 months. I feel I know everything I need to know, I just want to make sure Im making the right decision so Im gonna choose my snake when Im completely certain about it. But as I said Im not so fussed about morphs I just want to find my snake, and I know I will, hopefully very soon. All I have to do now is decide where its living (mums or dads), and then just buy the stuff then once I have everything together Ill get my snake. Or at least thats my plan! :P
Tiffany-x

You know something Tiffany....I think you are great !!

The dedication you have put into preparing to get your snake really does go against what people think about most teenagers, you are showing how much you care and how much you want your snake and, more importantly, that you want whats best for your snake.

I love your attitude to not caring what morph it is and instead just wanting to get 'your' snake....too many people get so hung up on 'special/exotic' morphs and miss out on such beauties lies aneries, carolinas, amels, ghosts, to name just a few. Just go in to a few reptiles shops, handle their hatchlings and see which one you 'click' with....no matter what morph it is.

It must be tough choosing between your mum and your dad's place. I guess it comes down to where you spend the most of your time....although whichever parent you choose will have to be happy with looking after it when you are not there, maybe even feeding it, so that may have to influence your choice.

Well done Tiffany....and keep asking the questions .

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 03/10/2010 04:06:02
Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  03:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tiffany

The loo roll hides idea works great, firstly there free(sort off)although kitchen roll ones are longer. which means no cleaning required if they get dirty, just replace with a new clean one, and if you get through half as much as my family there is always new ones around!
Also Marge seems to like them as she spends loads of time in hers.
I recently changed her bedding to aspen and she seems to like borrowing in that as well.

Kellog is right about one of your parents feeding the snake, if you decide on your mum how is she with snakes, and will she be ok with dead mice in the freezer, my wife took quite a bit of talking around in this area before i got marge, this might sound a bit sexist but maybe your dad might be more relaxed about thr whole reptile thing.

Good luck with buying your new snake

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  10:00:10  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Well, Ive actually been on here for like 3 months or maybe more and I have been researching for about 6 months. I feel I know everything I need to know, I just want to make sure Im making the right decision so Im gonna choose my snake when Im completely certain about it. But as I said Im not so fussed about morphs I just want to find my snake, and I know I will, hopefully very soon. All I have to do now is decide where its living (mums or dads), and then just buy the stuff then once I have everything together Ill get my snake. Or at least thats my plan! :P
Tiffany-x

You know something Tiffany....I think you are great !!

The dedication you have put into preparing to get your snake really does go against what people think about most teenagers, you are showing how much you care and how much you want your snake and, more importantly, that you want whats best for your snake.

I love your attitude to not caring what morph it is and instead just wanting to get 'your' snake....too many people get so hung up on 'special/exotic' morphs and miss out on such beauties lies aneries, carolinas, amels, ghosts, to name just a few. Just go in to a few reptiles shops, handle their hatchlings and see which one you 'click' with....no matter what morph it is.

It must be tough choosing between your mum and your dad's place. I guess it comes down to where you spend the most of your time....although whichever parent you choose will have to be happy with looking after it when you are not there, maybe even feeding it, so that may have to influence your choice.

Well done Tiffany....and keep asking the questions .

xxx

I should totally get my parents to read this! :P Maybe it would speed up the process. xD Thanks, I really appreciate it. I know what most people think of teenagers and to be honest it truly is a shame because its only really the minority that are actually like that. I think we had similair discussions on the thread about the legal age to buy snakes. To me stuff like legal ages for things irritates me cause I know Im mature and it is the minority that arent, no offence boys but I think they tend to make up the majority of the minority. Ive always been quite mature for my age and people have commented on it all through my life. I really hope that my snake can benefit from my months of preperation, Im just concerned that I will miss something or something will happen like not feeding or something and I wouldnt know what to do. I think from doing research I have learnt heaps and a majority of it through my time on here. I think this forum is amazing. A lot of animals need some kind of special care whether it be temperatures or humidity or whatever as it is with snakes, and unfortunately most people arent given good information but forums such as this give any keeper a life line, seeing as if there is a problem there is a high chance that someone here will of had the same thing or at least know what to do. It just makes amazing the fact that you guys are so amazing and willing to help. Its weird because now I dunno how Id manage to feel comfortable buying a snake without you guys cause if anything weird happened I might not know what to do.

Anyway, enough of the compliments, dont want your heads getting too big! :P I think as far as choosing where it is depends on if my dad can keep it because he is in an apartment so he needs to ask his landlord. I already have someone to feed when Im not around, turns out one of my dads friends has a few snakes (he only remembered to tell me like 2 days ago), and he has said he will happily feed etc when we go away so thats that sorted, and my mum is fine with me having mice in the freezer, we have discussed it. Although I live more with my mum it would be better at my dads because my mum is scared that our dog might eat it or be eaten despite the fact that I have told her that he cant get in and snakey cant get out, and even if it did get out it wouldnt eat charlie cause charlie is a dog and they dont eat much bigger than mice/rats and Ill keep my bedroom door open as often as possible. :P I think shes heard too many stories about peoples dogs and people in fact being eaten alive by snakes and she cant accept that corns are far too tiny to do this. Silly woman! xD I will be making sure Im at my dads every day if snakey lives there so that I can keep an eye on him, that isnt difficult seeing as its like a 20 minute walk between the two of them.

Im definitely using loo roll tubes etc for hides, but I think because of this Ill probably put a few more in just because its cheap so I can! :P

Anyway, I will shut up now cause Ive talked a lot, as always.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  10:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done to you on all your research,hopefully you'll have pics on here of your new addition soon I too was like you as a teenager,wanted a lizard or a snake since being tiny. Finally got a pair of bearded dragons at the age of 25 and now at the age of 36 I have my first snake,well he's my kids snake (have to keep reminding myself!)
It was on here that I read about the toilet rolls,and I have to say Loki loves his. Some brill ideas aren't there.

Anyway good luck,hope you get sorted with a snakey soon

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  10:56:16  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I am seriously so excited! I just spoke to my mum about it and she said to me providing I get a job before christmas she will pay for everything, so maybe I can spend my money on some nice little bits for my snake, like a water bowl but I think Ill stick to cheap hides. I also worked oout getting an RUB works out more expensive after P&P than a faun, cause I have all my other stuff so it wont mean any extra P&P so its easier to just get a proper one from the rep place. Thanks for all of your positive comments and help guys. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  11:57:40  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tiff

I don't know what size water bowl you were planning on getting but I've got a small Exo-Terra water bowl that you can have. Its not massive but your welcome to it if you would like it. Let me know if your interested.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  12:45:48  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is a small one the kinda size to have in a faun? :) If so that would be great, thanks so much.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  14:04:25  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it is the small one, its brand new and has never used it but I took the labels off ages ago. It measures 3" long x 3.5" wide x 1.25" deep and it has the little steps on the inside. Here are some pics I've just taken of it for you to look at:-

Top of the dish

Side of the dish

Bottom of the dish

If you want it, just email me your details and I will post it next week for you.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  18:15:07  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww, your such a sweetheart. Thanks a lot, Ill email you in a second.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

BHAFC72
Egg

61 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  18:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't dismiss normals as i think they are great looking snakes.If i was to get another snake this is what i would go for.You can pick them up for a tenner.
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  18:51:38  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do love normals, but as I said, Im buying my snake, I found one about a month ago that felt amazing to me which was a snow, even though I dont even like snows so much, its a shame they sold her so quick. Anyway, yeah, which ever snake feels good to me. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  04:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tiff....are you sure you are a teenager or a grown-up trapped in a teenage body ??!! Your attitude is fantastic and very mature....but I think one of the things that has impressed me so much is how well you express yourself. Your post in response to mine was a pleasure to read .

I am glad that wherever you decide that your snake lives you will be able to see it every day. My worry was that you were in the situation of only seeing one parent a couple of times a week and the other the rest of the time....like so many other kids. But it sounds like you have a much better set up and parents who are supporting what you are doing....but making you work for it - which, as a parent of teenagers, I totally agree with !

Your attitude to your mum's attitude did make me smile ....I was just trying to imagine your little snake eating Charlie (whatever size dog he is!) ! But sometimes people do have these irrational fears and although deep inside they know they are irrational that doesnt stop them worrying....so it does sound as though your dad's is the best bet as a home for your snake. Lets hope his landlord says yes.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  07:59:36  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hahahaha! Yeah well my Charlie is only a toy poodle so he is a very tiny litte thing, something a little bigger certainly would be able to eat him, so she isnt so crazy. :P But we spoke last night when she got home from work and she did say that she is fine with it and esp for whilst it is small she is just concerned about Charlie getting hold of it and trying to play with it because he tries to play with everything, (even cats!), so shes concerned he will hurt my little snake and that if it was to happen that he might also get hurt. But as I said before Ive told her my door will stay shut all of the time no Charlie in, no snake out and it should be fine and I explained to her how slender they are and despite them getting long they are actually quite small, she is a lot more relaxed now and she isnt bothered about mice or anything so I think I could keep it at mums now. I do see my dad usually 3 or 4 times a week at least (pretty much when I want), but because they live so close if I was to keep my snake there, which is still my preferance, then I could go every day easily because they live close so I could go on my way home from school and spend and hour or two there getting my little snakey straight and having a play, all before mum finishes work. :P So either way it would now easily work.

You make me feel so proud! xD Hehe, aww. Im cool right? Im glad I dont bore you because I can talk forever and ever and ever! I do like to think Im mature. ;) Your making my head too big! :P But thanks, Im really appreciative of your positivity. :)

So you guys this week I am job hunting, and I refuse to give in until I have one! :P Then I get a snakey! WOOHOOOOO! :D
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  19:26:36  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, I now have ANOTHERRR question, as for substrate, I know some people use kitchen roll or newspaper for hatchlings but the downsides are that they cant burrow. Im just wondering, would shredded paper work? Cause we have stacks of it, mum has an obsession with shredding so its easily accessible, cheap and Im imagining ok for burrowing. Dont worry if its a no no Ill just have to stop being so blooming tight! xD Thank youuuu. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  21:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't answer your question on shredded paper,sorry. However when I first got Loki I used kitchen roll,but changed it to aspen after a few weeks for the burrowing reason. He makes loads of tunnels in it If I fed him in his faunarium I'd use kitchen roll still to avoid him accidently taking any substrate in,but I put him into another box for feeding so I've no worries there.
I have to say your parents must be very proud of you

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  21:31:07  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, ok. Im pressuming it would be fine but I dont want to take a risk. Youd think Id have very proud parents seeing as Im so amazing, I told you you were giving me a big head, its a shame they dont really care so much. :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  22:24:19  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can, I've used shredded paper, I was cautious of it. It depends how long and what kinds of paper it is I think. If it's nice soft paper then it's fine but I didn't want to risk like glossy, harder bits of paper as I had images of snake burrowing and some how cutting it's eye scale, although I think I'm over paranoid lol. I used newspaper kind of papers and shredded newspaper and he seemed to like burrowing in it although, it's not very good for sucking up poops as I found out XD The more finely chopped up, the better I think as long strips dont tend to sit flat very well and when snakey slithers round tank, it means half the substrate goes with it!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  23:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went for a normal for my first snake, was mostly brown as a baby but now she's growing up she is turning a brilliant orange colour. I have just uploaded some post shed pics of her.

and I agree with the others, I buy lots of sardines from Asda and the pink trays the tins come in make fantastic hides!

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page