Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:23:25  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok so I have 120 quid soon because I sold my telly to the people that are buying our house because it was on a bracket and Ive lost the stand. But please just tell me if Im being tight and would be better waiting until I have some more money before buying. Im not sure if this would be enough, so far I have this:
Faun, stat, heatmat, 2 thermometers, water bowl, feeding tongs, and 2 caves, all for nearly 80 quid, I know where I can get plants and some aspen for cheap so probably another 10 quid at the most. Is this enough everything or should I just wait and get my snake in another month or so when I get a few more pennies. I have checked this on the hatching setup sticky but I just want to be certain. Thanks guys. :)
Tiffany-x

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:39:11  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your buying water bowels and hides? That's not being tight. I use coffee jar lids as water bowels and toilet rolls or small boxes as hides as I don't see the point in buying this like that, as they outgrow them quickly.

It should be enough but it also all depend where your buying the snake and what morph :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  10:48:57  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Your buying water bowels and hides? That's not being tight. I use coffee jar lids as water bowels and toilet rolls or small boxes as hides as I don't see the point in buying this like that, as they outgrow them quickly.

It should be enough but it also all depend where your buying the snake and what morph :)

thats a good excuse to get another hatchie!

tiffany i think you should be fine. make sure you dont forget to budget for the actual snake! not costly but dont forget pinkies either.

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  11:16:05  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah seeing as I will be 20 quid a week soon I think I can afford some pinkies and seeing as you said you use stuff like that I think I could probably do it for even cheaper! WOOHOO!! Looks like Im getting me a snake. :D
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  14:09:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clintham

quote:

thats a good excuse to get another hatchie!

tiffany i think you should be fine. make sure you dont forget to budget for the actual snake! not costly but dont forget pinkies either.

But so is having a spare boll roll on hand and any spare microwave container or food box :P

Have you bought all the stuff already Tiff? If not we might all be able to suggest ways of cutting the costs for things, short term and possibly long term.

Go to Top of Page

mrsT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
186 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  15:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about using an old flower pot for a hide instead of buying caves?
Do you know what morph you are getting yet?

1 carolina corn - Jake

1 hypo lavender - Kane
1 xb dog - Zak

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  16:42:55  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ive not brought anything yet but I definitely will be looking at things soon. I am looking at many different options now for hides etc. Im gonna get the snake that I feel I kinda click with? Im not too fussed about morphs. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  18:00:11  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well if you have money in the set-up you will have more potieal snakes to "click" with :P (get a normal cause they are awecome XD)

Yeh plant pots are good, either plastic or ceramic. Also like mousse/yoghurt pots if you put a hole in them. If you like coconut you could also treat yourself to one of them, saw it in half and you have 2 hides. Loo rolls are always great as if they poop on them, no need to clean just chuck away :D Dunhelm mills sell some nice tiny bits of wood near their plants, some shapes are perfect for hides and they cost like £1.50 although mine have a big habit of pooping on them and they are horrible to clean. If anyone in your house has like anti-wrinkle cream in those tiny boxes they are good too, also perfume boxes or foundation ones. Cleaned out butter tubs are also good once they get bigger. Lids off hot chocolate or coffee tubs are great for water.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pk-5-Reptile-Feeding-Tweezers-Tongs-Griprite-/140459044926?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item20b402f03e Cheap feeding tongs or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-STAINLESS-STEEL-Tweezers-snake-lizard-feeding-tongs-/190420752191?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item2c55f6173f#ht_500wt_928

There are some RUBs at Staples that are about the same size as the exo-terra large flat faun and almost half the price cheaper. I just went to Morrison's and bought a 7l food container and put holes each side to make it un-air tight :p cost me £2

As for heatmats, you could buy one that will be like the final size heatmat snakey will have and just only use part of it. It will save having to keep upgrading the mat.

Sorry for rambling, I just have a thing about cheap stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:03:35  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well if you have money in the set-up you will have more potieal snakes to "click" with :P (get a normal cause they are awecome XD)

Yeh plant pots are good, either plastic or ceramic. Also like mousse/yoghurt pots if you put a hole in them. If you like coconut you could also treat yourself to one of them, saw it in half and you have 2 hides. Loo rolls are always great as if they poop on them, no need to clean just chuck away :D Dunhelm mills sell some nice tiny bits of wood near their plants, some shapes are perfect for hides and they cost like £1.50 although mine have a big habit of pooping on them and they are horrible to clean. If anyone in your house has like anti-wrinkle cream in those tiny boxes they are good too, also perfume boxes or foundation ones. Cleaned out butter tubs are also good once they get bigger. Lids off hot chocolate or coffee tubs are great for water.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pk-5-Reptile-Feeding-Tweezers-Tongs-Griprite-/140459044926?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item20b402f03e Cheap feeding tongs or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-STAINLESS-STEEL-Tweezers-snake-lizard-feeding-tongs-/190420752191?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item2c55f6173f#ht_500wt_928

There are some RUBs at Staples that are about the same size as the exo-terra large flat faun and almost half the price cheaper. I just went to Morrison's and bought a 7l food container and put holes each side to make it un-air tight :p cost me £2

As for heatmats, you could buy one that will be like the final size heatmat snakey will have and just only use part of it. It will save having to keep upgrading the mat.

Sorry for rambling, I just have a thing about cheap stuff.

Normals are actually growing on me AND they are cheaper! :P They are all great ideas! I think I might get one normal hide then make one from something and then have a couple of bog roll tubes just for some extra hides to make it as hideable as possible! :P

Speaking of tongs, is there any difference between metal and plastic? Any reason metal should be better or anything?

I officially love you! You are amazing at money saving, love it. I might get an RUB instead of a faun seeing as fauns I was looking at are about 15 quid and I think maybe RUBs of that size are like 5 or something?

By the time I get a full size viv I will have a few more pennies so Im just trying to save some money now, I just want you all to know that I wont do anything that will alter the life of my snake. :)

I love people who talk lots, its great. :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:24:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can do, I have found that my adults avoid the exoterra things hides and wont use them until it has been in their viv for a few months and that they prefer cardboard boxes XD I have very ungrateful snakes.

I guess plastic tongs ones are more likely to break if you step on them of have some mutant, heavy mouse lol the metal ones probably have a better grip.

And I have to save money, I'm a student and I'd rather splash the cash on my snakes when they are fully grown. I think they might be that, about 5-7 I think depending on the size.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:28:32  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I heard a few people saying loads of snakes and reps prefer the cheap hides to the proper ones, I might just have some cheap ones because of that! :P

In that case Im getting plastic ones, and an RUB. I wont end up with very much from the rep shop! xD
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
homemade hides are great, cost me about £2 for 10 hides.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:35:56  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, that sure is cheap! So if you dont mind me asking what did you make them from?
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not at all, made then from flower pot trays. B and Q and just cut them in half,

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:42:23  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh wow! I cant wait, there seems to be so many cheap alternatives, I think Im gonna give as many of them as possible a go for my little snakey! xD
Tiffany-x

Edited by - Tiffany-x on 02/10/2010 19:47:26
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  21:15:36  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

(get a normal cause they are awecome XD)

haha i totally agree - get my normal in a week from JJ

tiffany - the biggest saving is by using a rub rather than viv/faun i think. but the suggestions above will save a packet when compared to the prices of exo-terra and other major rep brands.

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 02/10/2010 21:20:12
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  21:18:45  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, they are so beautiful, but as I said before Im really not too fussed. :)

Can I just asked does anyone know the equivanlent RUB to the large flat faun?
Thanks, Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  21:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the 12 litre is not a million miles away from it.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  21:27:22  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I think that is probably what I will go for then, thanks.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  21:31:31  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do you know where you are buying your snake from yet tiffany? or are you still at the planning/research stage?

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  21:52:55  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, Ive actually been on here for like 3 months or maybe more and I have been researching for about 6 months. I feel I know everything I need to know, I just want to make sure Im making the right decision so Im gonna choose my snake when Im completely certain about it. But as I said Im not so fussed about morphs I just want to find my snake, and I know I will, hopefully very soon. All I have to do now is decide where its living (mums or dads), and then just buy the stuff then once I have everything together Ill get my snake. Or at least thats my plan! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000