Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:29:06  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, I know the viv needs cleaning every so often, but what do you guys use for a total clean out and how often do you use it. I mean do I need to buy the reptile disinfectant stuff or can I just make my own up or use some kind or antibacterial cleaner or whatever?
Thank you as always. :)
Tiffany-x

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is F10 disinfectant available that is really good or you can get cleaning products for reptiles ant your local shops. Mine get a full clean every month and a weekly spot clean, or whenever they decide to poo.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:39:23  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats what I meant by "reptile disinfectant stuff"! :P Is that kind of thing the best to use then? I dont want to risk harming my snake just to make things more efficient for me but its difficult to get hold of. I know that I should check for poops and stuff I was just curious how often to completely give the whole lot a big wash.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:44:08  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use Vetaclean which is great, the 250ml bottle has to be diluted and it makes 75 litres.

I bought a spray bottle from B&Q and made a litre up of the Vetaclean when we first got Tango and over a year on we are still using that original litre, so it lasts ages.

You can also leave it to dry, you don't have to rinse it off. So all in all I think its great for just over £5. Heres the link to buy it from Reptilekeeping Online:-

http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/medivet-vetaclean-250ml-p-888.html

I hope this helps you decide what to get.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
F10, i think, is the best there is around but even the cleaners available from rep shops will last you a long time and is generally ok so you wont need to buy it all the time. You may be able to get F10 online but i am not sure.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  21:52:00  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks you guys, Im reallt grateful for your answers. :)
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  22:25:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use hot water, cloth and fairy liquid to make lots of bubbles :D

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  23:10:35  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, so I can just use some washing up liquid. Thats good. Hmm, decisions! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  23:24:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I do, I know some other do too but it's probably/definitely not the most hygienic way of cleaning and getting rid of germs. I've been doing it for 8 years and nothing bad has happened though. I have been looking into getting some rep spray, this kinda stuff http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cascade-Cleaning-Disinfectant-Reptiles-500ml-Spray-/160410589410?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item25593758e2 as it's just easier to spray and wipe than faff with water XD plus it's cheap where I can buy it.

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  23:33:23  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, how about if I used antibacterial fairy? LMFAO. Thanks.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  07:21:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lmao I don't see why not ^^

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  08:03:40  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha! I think I will get some reptile disinfectant stuff just to be on the safe side! I refuse to take any risks with this one. :) Thanks.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  08:29:10  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes thats probably a good idea Tiff.

Using Antibacterial Fairy is okay for dishes and your hands but it might not be good for your snake so I wouldn't risk it.

I'd send you some of the Vetaclean to try when I send you the water dish but I haven't got a small bottle to send it in. If you can think of anything I could use, I'll send you some to try.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  08:30:40  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am with staple to be honest good old soap and water tho i do give the inside of the viv a wipe over with some of the antibacterial gel i use on my hands after i have handled them. I figure if its safe enough on your hands then handle a snake then its safe enough to use in the viv and i never had any problems.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  08:34:26  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryanred5

Yes thats probably a good idea Tiff.

Using Antibacterial Fairy is okay for dishes and your hands but it might not be good for your snake so I wouldn't risk it.

I'd send you some of the Vetaclean to try when I send you the water dish but I haven't got a small bottle to send it in. If you can think of anything I could use, I'll send you some to try.

You are such a sweetheart, Ill try to have a look see what Ive got then as long as you are sure you dont mind I can send it for you to send me some. :D Thank you sooo much!
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  09:05:51  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just been reading the instructions and you need to put 10ml of Vetaclean with 3 litres of water. So I'll just look for a small container to put it in to save you sending me something to just return it to you.

I'll keep you posted.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  19:17:47  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh hun, you seriously are so amazing! Your so kind and helpful, I truly am so grateful! :D

Guys this woman is amazing! I mean it! :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  19:24:19  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use something with birds on the front...just used to disinfect bird cages, so it's fine for snakes

I read somewhere that any disinfectant that you use for babies bottles is okay to use, as long as you swill it off properly afterwards, but i dont even know what baby bottles are washed in :) lolll so I've never done that

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  19:30:07  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha, well my brother uses a steam sterilizer for Jeydn's bottles so I dont have a clue what else you can get. :P
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  20:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use baby disinfectant :) if its safe for babies it safe for reptiles, ive never had a problem yet :)

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

mowdid
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  20:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we use(baby disinfectant)milton sterilising fluid diluted,available at any chemist and just about any supermarket nowadays

0.1.0 - Amel Corn - Amber
1.0.0 - Carolina Corn - Sid
0.0.1 - Striped Cali King - Kong
0.1.0 - Miami Corn - Mimi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000