kalou fed second time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  16:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just fed kalou for the second time since iv had him, nd i chose a different approach. the first time i fed him outside his viv, (then i had only had him 6 days ) now iv had him 2 weeks, and chose to feed him inside his viv. (so i didnt have to pick him up incase he still feels alittle nervous). i jus put the partition instide, so he kudnt escape to the other side of the viv, and placed a bit kitchen roll inside and he took the pinkie after a few seconds of sniffin it.

i am hoping this approach wil not have ''spooked'' him too much so he'l be a litle calmer next time i go into his viv. i didnt pick him up becasue iv cut myself at work today and didnt want him to get a smell of my blood. (hope that was a good thing)

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  16:29:10  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the good thing is to not stress him, so leaving him in his viv would be good as long as you make sure he doesnt ingest any substrate as that can cause problems with him.
also congratz on 2nd feeding

0.1.0 - corn snake - Tiny
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  17:47:20  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tis good that he ate.
It's all a matter of choice where you feed. Some like to feed in and others out of the viv.
I always bring mine out to feed simply because I don't want them to become viv defensive or digest any substrate, even if I'm using kitchen roll.
As long as you make sure they don't take in any substrate with the mouse then there shouldn't be a problem.
I also like to watch mine feeding, it fascinates me, and if they go off secretly in the viv I couldn't watch.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  05:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad Kalou has fed again for you Craig....and you have obviously put a lot of thought into where you fed him this time. The fact that he took the pinkie after only a few seconds of sniffing it is really positive.

I am the same as Herriotfan with regard to feeding, I prefer doing it outside the viv....because of the danger of my snakes swallowing some of the substrate, as they could easily drag their meal off the kitchen roll and into a hide and I wouldnt be able to see what was going on. The other bonus to feeding outside the viv is that you get a much better chance to take pics! But it is a personal choice and you are the one who must decide what you think is best for Kalou.

I wouldnt worry about picking him up while you have a cut, I dont THINK he would be effected by the smell of your blood (unless you are half mouse and havent told us !).

You say you hope he will be calmer next time you go into his viv....it is still really early days so dont expect too much of him too soon....he is still getting used to this gigantic hand descending on him and picking him up , but he will get used to it as long as you stay calm and keep all your movements slow and patient.

You are doing all the right things Craig, just give yourself and Kalou time .

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000