Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meesh505
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  16:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!

Brought home my new rather cute corn snake yesterday (fri) and he is doing fine out exploring etc.

He is a 6 mnth old anerythristic corn!

The pet shop said he was fed on the thursday, they said they feed him 2-3 pinkies every 5-6 days, they said i can feed this all at once or spread it out!

Is 2-3 pinkies at once too much, hes only little? lol
If i spread them out over the week and he needs3 pinkies and 24-48 hours in between feeds and hadnling when can i handle him, doesnt seem to much time left?

He said to wait about a week before handling so like everyone says i only go in the tank to change his water which he likes to swim in, but he also said to let him feed at least once before handling too, i dont want to feed him in the tank so should i take him out and offer him a pinkie after 2-3 days of just leave him alone completely for the full week?

I have fish and have to treat the water before going in the tank, i wouldnt use the dechlorinator for the corn snake but do i need to use bottled water or is tap water ok for him?

Hes such a cute nosey little thing, i cant wait to be able to hold him and let him get used to me!

Since havent handle him since i got him home i dont know his length or weight but will do this after the week is up, any help with my questions would be great and im sure il have more to come as he settles in.

Thanks guys

;-)

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  16:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new guy!
Anery snakies are lovely - does he have a name yet?

I'm not an expert, but i think 2 - 3 pinkies every 5 - 6 days is a little much; if he can handle 2 or 3 pinkies at a time then he's probably big enough to move up to a fuzzy once a week

For the week settling it you generally dont offer any food just incase he is still stressed and regurgitates. Just a week without dinner will not hurt him - wait for the week to be up then feed him on whatever day you like

and i've always used tap water for mine... i'm not sure if thats a good thing or not but they all seem perky enough!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  16:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id feed him 2 pinkies once a week which over time could be moved up to 1 small fuzzy once a week,
i use tap water for my snakes - its easier to use tap water than buy bottles specially for them,
its up to you as to whether you feed in the faun or not - i used to feed my snakes in their fauns, then when they were bigger i started feeding them on the lids.. now they mostly get fed on the bed with a towel under them
its also up to you as to whether you feed before you attempt to handle him or not, personally i would but its really personal choice

look forwards to the pics!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

meesh505
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  16:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Figs
No name for him yet, gonna get to know him a bit more first!
Will wait the week and then offer him a pinkie, if he still seems hungry il get a couple of fuzzies and see how big they are and try one of those.
Good news on the water, it dawned on me this morning about the chlorine and a started to panic, iv been sneaking in to have a peak at him everynow and then and he likes to swim in his water bowl so was a bit concerned!
:-)

Go to Top of Page

meesh505
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  16:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hannah, if feeding 2 at a time do i leave a bit of time between each pinkie or do i just put both in front of him and let him take what he wants?
He has our whole spare room to himself and is in a converted aquarium, dont want him to think of food getting put in the tank and going for my hands so he will have his own towel that i want him to assosciate with getting food instead that il spread out on the bed for him.
I think il wait the week, let him eat and poop then handle him! lol
Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  03:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by meesh505

........if feeding 2 at a time do i leave a bit of time between each pinkie or do i just put both in front of him and let him take what he wants?

........I think il wait the week, let him eat and poop then handle him!

When you are feeding 2 prey items it is best to feed him the 1st pinky and then wait until he has eaten it and 'squeezed' it to about half-way down his body before offering him the 2nd pinky. This is assuming he will feed ok.

I am no expert with hatchlings but I do wonder if jumping straight to feeding him on a towel would scare him. I, personally, feed both my adults out of their vivs....on a towel on the floor....as I feel it is better not to feed in their vivs as it avoids the risk of them swallowing any substrate and it causing a problem. It may be better to start by feeding him in a RUB before you jump straight to a towel. Just line it with kitchen roll, move him gently into it and then offer him the 1st pinky. After he has eaten wait for the bump to get about half-way down his body and very gently return him to his tank.

I am glad you have chosen to feed first and handle later. I know there is no right or wrong way to do it, but it is always good to get that 1st feed out of the way, even if it does mean you having to wait another 48hrs before you get your 1st proper handle. And I wouldnt bother waiting til he poos! Firstly it may be so small you wont see it and secondly he will just poo on you when you handle him ....so be prepared!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

meesh505
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  16:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Kellog,
Thanks for the advice!
Iv seen with my fish when I bring new ones home that they tend to settle in better after some food, I figured it might be the same for the snake!

Iv named him SHADOW, since thats pretty much all iv seen of him in days lol

I decided to offer him a pinkie yesterday since wasnt sure how much he ate last, I didnt want to disturb him so all I did was defrost the pinkie in my pocket for about 2 hours, while changing his water I popped the pinkie onto his towel I want to use for feeding and put it in the viv in front of the hide he was in, put the lid on the viv and left him to it!

I checked in on him a few hours later and the pinkie was gone, I never went back in his room till this morning, no sign of anything having been spit back up! Havent lifted his hide to check on him but am assuming all went well, will check on him again tonight ie 24 hours and make sure he's ok, then just water changes till friday when I will take him out for a hold!

I found a tiny poop in the viv the second day I got him, so since it had been 2 days since he was fed by the store im guessing I should have a tiny gift by this time tomorrow lol

Shadow is an awesome little critter, I was in his room this morning after his water change and I saw him poke his wee head out the hide to be nosey, I put my hair scrunchie in with him the other day so hope that helps him get used to my smell before friday!

Thanks again guys, your advice had been invaluable!

Cant wait to show some pics of Shadow to say thanks properly!!

xx;-)xx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  05:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shadow is a gorgeous name and perfect for him I am sure, especially being an anery ....you couldnt have chosen a better morph (not that I am biased or anything !).

That was a good idea to feed him in the viv but on the towel you plan to feed him on, although it is going to need a good wash !! And it certainly sounds as though it all went to plan. And it is always a relief to get that first feed out of the way (says she whose first corn went 13 weeks without feeding when she first got him cos he was horny !).

I know its frustrating waiting for that first chance to handle him, but the wait is worth it ....and we cant wait to see pics of him!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000