FYI vivexotic locks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  10:51:28  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i emailed vivexotic regarding a lock. i got two different replies:

1 - from the vivexotic distributor (Hagen)this lock didnt fit!
Dear Mr Carrington
Thank you for your e-mail.
I am sorry that you are having difficulties finding a lock for your viv. I have been on-line for you and found the lock you need. Please click on the link http://www.aquapet.co.uk/catalog/reptile-accessories-sliding-glass-lock-p-171.html
Best Regards,
Kath Hirst
Customer Service Advisor

2 - from aqu-pac the vivexotic manufacturer
Hi Lewis,
Please see attached file regarding the lock. At the moment we do recommend the ProRep locks although sometimes you do require to alter the lock slightly.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
Mark

so if you get a vivexotic viv, please be aware that you may have some difficulties witha lock.
i currently use a pro-rep 130mm which i have altered. works fine :)

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  12:59:16  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this helpful information, i will be careful when buying a lock in the future

0.1.0 - corn snake - Tiny
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  13:45:33  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When we bought a Pro-Rep lock we didn't straighten it and it works fine.

I think if you straighten the lock you will find when you put the key part on to the bar and try to move it along the bar to the centre, it will push against the glass and you could possibly break the glass, so you won't be able to move the key part to the centre to lock it.

The reason there is a little lip is because the back of the key part isn't really really thin, it is the same size as the lip hence the reason why its there. So when you slide it on the bar it allows you to slide it all the way to the centre to lock it.

Its really hard to explain what I mean but we have straighten a lock we bought from our local reptile shop and it did what I put above, hence why we had to have a lock with a lip, so we bought a Pro-Rep one which is fine.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  13:54:25  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clintham
i currently use a pro-rep 130mm which i have altered. works fine :)

Hiya

Just out of interest when you say you have altered the lock do you mean you have straightened the lip like it showed on the pic you put?

If you have straightened the lip, do you find the key part strains against the glass when you move it to the centre?

Hope you understand what I mean.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  14:11:16  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i do know what you mean, and i did have to alter it as shown above. it does strain but it really isnt much, certainly not going to break the glass or even scratch it.
dont know if i can force myself to buy a third lock in the hope that it fits 'out of the box'
from all accounts my pro-rep 130mm should fit fine but it didnt, i had to adjust it.

on my vivarium, if the lock isnt totally straight, the doors wont slide past each other. i think the gap between the glass must be smaller on my viv than yours.
when i adjusted it, i tried just reducing the kink a little but if it was anything apart from totally straight, the doors dont slide past each other.

it is hard to explain but i think we understand each other. if i can get a refund from aquapet i might try a pro-rep 100mm but i can see as it will be any different from my pro-rep 130mm.

hope this issue can be avoided by others

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  15:15:20  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clintham

it is hard to explain but i think we understand each other. if i can get a refund from aquapet i might try a pro-rep 100mm but i can see as it will be any different from my pro-rep 130mm.

hope this issue can be avoided by others

Yes it does seem that we both understand each other regarding the locks.

You said at one point that your viv is one of this years vivs. I noticed in the pics you put on that the vents are the rectangular ones whereas the vents in mine are the circular ones, so mind is obviously an older one..

I guess the glass is even closer together than mine is. I think having it like that is a pain for anyone who buys one of their vivs. I can't understand why they don't have the glass like other manufacturers, so there is a decentish gap so you use a viv lock like it should be used.

Btw what colour and size is your viv, have you mentioned it already? Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?

I was really lucky with the one we bought for Tango. We got it from Ebay, it was a brand new, boxed VX36 in Winchester Oak and it cost us £45.

We did want a matching cabinet for the viv to sit on but we couldn't afford one, so I asked for a chest of drawers on Freecycle and luckily after a couple of weeks we got offered some, so the viv is sat on them. Not bad eh.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  15:37:10  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes it would seem they have changed the design slightly.
from one hand its good - my hatchie will struggle to escape - i think i may struggle to fit a slide binder to the glass, thats how small the gap is!
on the other hand its bad, meant i had to alter my lock!

my viv is a vivexotic LX36 in winchester oak. it is 36x15x16 - slightly smaller than your VX36 which is 36x18x21 i believe.

it was bought from an ebay shop, brand new for £55 including shipping.

So if you are buying a new vivexotic viv, please note that you may struggle a bit with your lock!!

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 28/09/2010 15:39:16
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  18:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this may be at a tangent, but I use rubber wedges for my vivexotic vivs and they work perfectly well. If you're trying to stop people / kids getting in then this won't help!
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  21:48:39  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its to stop my 18 month old boy gettin in - he loves cupboards etc lol

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  23:10:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love my wedges too :p was going to get locks to cat-proof but I head so many storied about scratched glass.

You should electrify the area around your viv, then he would learn :p

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000