Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  21:05:36  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just got my heatmat setup in my viv for the first time. i have 2 digital thermometers, one on the mat, the other not on the mat.
after 45 mins of being turned on, the mat got no higher than 27 degrees and the thermometer away from the mat was at 18 degrees.

so i guess my mat is working - my question is, how long does a 6x11" mat take to get up to 29 degrees? i thought it would be up to temp within 30 mins but it seems not!

by the way i dont have my snake yet - this is a very early test with the viv still in my garage

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  21:36:40  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I recently tested 2 of my 6x11's as I thought one was faulty and unstated they got up to 34degrees within a few minutes. What have you got your heatmat on while you are testing it and how is the thermometer probe positioned?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  22:05:54  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is statted but i have the stat set to 35 degrees just for testing purposes. the heatmat is placed on the bottom of my wooden viv. both probes are just sat on top of of the heatmat.

it has been going for an over an hour now - surely it should be warmer than 27.7 degrees by now? i bought it from ebay - looks like it is faulty to me, what do you think?

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  22:23:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What brand is it? Where does it say it was made in?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  22:30:02  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the info on it is:
Habistat vivarium heatmat
6x11"
7 watts
230 volts
eurorep (scotland) ltd

its been on for 90 minutes now and still no hight than 27.7

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 21/09/2010 22:30:40
Go to Top of Page

morph2010
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  22:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, i have the same mat as you
make sure you have a stat and use a digital temp gauge if you can mine stays at a steady 28-30
sounds like a faulty mat maybe

1 Harley, Anery corn (not sure on age!)
1 Amber, Mad as a hatter springer 7yrs
8 ft fish tanks loads of fishys
1 Bobby, Cat 2yrs

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  22:46:01  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just to restate - my snake is not in the viv. i am testing my heat mat.
i am using a digital thermometer.

how long does your mat take to get to 28-30 when you first turn it on?

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  09:56:32  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think its faulty, thanks for your help

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

mowdid
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  10:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
the problem could be the the stat ... i did exactly the same as you when we first got our set up and had to play around with the stat for a while to get the temps i was looking for

we have a Habistat mat stat , its currently set at 30* ( by the dial )
but going off the digital thermometer we have it kicks in at 27.5* and and switches off at 28.5*

though they arent normally that far out i whould try altering the dial on the stat see if that makes a difference

PS: also try both of your digi thermometers at the hot end of the tank to see if you get the same readings

0.1.0 - Amel Corn - Amber
1.0.0 - Carolina Corn - Sid
0.0.1 - Striped Cali King - Kong
0.1.0 - Miami Corn - Mimi
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  10:10:29  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
even when i run it without a stat, it doesnt go above 27.7 degrees
how hot would a 6x11" heatmat, when unstatted get? surely higher that 27.7

will take a pic tonight so you can see.

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 22/09/2010 10:12:36
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  10:12:22  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mowdid beat me to it, I was going to suggest increasing the temp on your stat. If you have to have the stat up really high to get the mat temp at 27/28C then it could be the stat that is faulty.

I guess you will have already done this, but just in case you haven't, is the stat probe on the heat mat as well as the thermometer probe.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  10:21:05  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
please disregard my stat. if i just plug in my heatmat to the mains power it doesnt get hotter than 27.7 - does this mean its faulty?
i will try with both thermometers in the same place, just incase one is faulty - good idea

the mat is in the bottom of my wooden vivarium, with one of these thermometers placed on top of it (no substrate in place):

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 22/09/2010 10:29:30
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  10:29:59  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there anything on the mat at all? This might sound a bit odd but try popping a plastic tub on mat to weigh it down a bit and see if it does anything to the temp. It should read quickly on the thermometer, they don't take that long to heat up.

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  10:40:22  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the suggestion - will give it a try

are heatmats affected by ambient temperature? if so to what extent

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 22/09/2010 12:00:49
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  12:26:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not they aren't that I am aware of. Is the probes on the black part of the mat, or even try different places on the black part of you haven't already.

With the tub thing, if you put the probes very near the base of the tub it should read good. Either that or you may have a dodgy thermometer lol or one that needs a new battery. I have the same one as you and it sometimes does take a bit of time for the numbers to change.

Failing that me and crazjj don't live too far.

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  12:55:20  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i will try with both thermometers and with a tub tonight and see how it goes - thanks for the suggestions
if i cant figure it out i might just go into town and buy a new one as i have lost confidence in my mat - no more ebay!
and try to get a refund from my current mat ofcourse

Location Lincoln UK

Edited by - clintham on 22/09/2010 13:11:55
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  13:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The mats work by contact heat, even by simply holding your hand down on the mat for 10 mins you should be able to nitice a difference. Try it with the tub as suggested, or stick a folded towel down over the top of it as well with the probes between mat and towel, you should then notice a difference.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  13:33:43  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks, will try a towel too.

if they only work when something is in contact, surely a thin layer of aspen wont be of much help? this is how it will eventually be setup.

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  13:47:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What is the snake going to live in? A faun/RUB or a wooden viv?

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  14:08:18  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is a wooden viv that i have put a partition into - so the heatmat will be inside the viv, with a thin layer of aspen on it.

will a thin layer of aspen be enough to make the contact heat that Kehhlyr speaks of?

Location Lincoln UK
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2010 :  15:08:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Make sure you plug up any holes like cable ones and the viv doors if you pop a baby n there. Not sure really, I know it's not enough for my heatmat but mines big. If you pop a hide ontop of the heat mat that should be enough contact although, I would guess it depends what your hide is in this case. I'm not sure if something like a toilet tub would weigh it down enough.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000