kalou's first feed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  15:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
today is goin to be the first time i feed kalou since iv had him. iv had him for 6 days now, and in ealier threads i have been told off for handling him too soon.. but he seems to be quite settled now, always prowling around his small viv and climbing it every night. but i am stil slightly nervous about picking him up to remove him from his viv to feed him as he has been quite shy and cowering away from me. any advice for me before i feed him?

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  16:02:54  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had exactly the same problem with my snake when I first got her. It's taken her a month or so to finally get used to me reaching in and picking her up.

I got around it by opening the viv and letting her come out on her own. She was much less nervous when she was half out of her viv, presumably cos she was more interested in her surroundings! Another option, if your viv is big enough, would be to put a smaller feeding box inside of the viv to feed in or at worst you could always just put some kitchen roll down in the viv and lure him onto it to feed.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  16:07:56  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
havent got my snake yet (a few weeks waiting left) but i am already nervous about first feed. i think the other forum members are in a better position to help you, but from what i have read about first feeds:
- be confident, your snake will pick up on it.
- have a plan, if things dont work out how you thought they would, you dont want to be thinking "erm what do i do now"
where will you feed? rub or viv?
what time will you feed?
how long will you try to feed if your snake doesnt seem interested?
what will you do to tempt him/her to feed if its not interested?
is there somewhere you can leave a pinkie for 24 hours inside the viv? if not place it on kitchen roll inside the viv so the snake doesnt eat substrate.
are you able to leave your snake alone for a short period if it wont feed? some like privacy apparantly. a rub with air holes is good for this
make sure you wait the correct amount of time before attempting to feed again if it doesnt go well.
try not to worry if things dont go as planned

on the subject of getting your snake out, i have read that putting a small item of your clothing into the viv for a few days is a good idea. the snake can get used to your smell and know its safe.

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery

Edited by - clintham on 21/09/2010 16:11:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000