New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  23:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, not been on for a while but I've got a problem and your the first people I'd turn to, so here goes..
Last January I bought a beautiful baby corn who some of you may remember as asuka, my sister got jealous as most sisters do and bought a corn herself in march, I've recently found out she hasn't been taking care of it because she struggled to feed it, it's water was bone dry substrate was horrible and temps were wrong, I've taken it on board immediatly and introduced asuka and her corn together and they are very placid and fine with eachother. So I fed her snake and put it in asuka's vivarium along with asuka and so far all it's done has drunk loads and explored.. Will they be okay together (both roughly a year old and very placid snakes (asuka is approx 2 ft and the ghost is approx just under 1 ft)) all comments and help is appreciated!

Lowestoft, Suffolk

Hunter - Jungle Carpet Python
3 Corn Snakes
Murphy - Black Labrador [ R.I.P ;( ]
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat

pompey666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  23:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if your corn is over double the other corn i would not have them in the same viv this is just my opinion but i think must people would agree that the size difference is quite extreme they should be roughly the same size and weight i thought but like i said this is just my opinion

2.3.1 corns
0.2.0 wife and daughter
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  23:47:43  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would seperate them, could you not have kept your sisters snake in its original tank?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  23:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im sure ive read somewhere that females are best kept apart anyways, even as adults.

Go to Top of Page

NikkiLian
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  00:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no professional but having read through some of the posts on here about co-habiting, I would never do it, regardless of the age, sex or size of the snakes. Some people have co-habited with no problems whatsoever but I personally wouldn't take the risk. Use the search function at the top right hand side of the page and have a look for yourself.

0.0.1 Carolina corn~Loki
0.1.0 Snow Corn~Isis
0.0.1 Anery Corn~Midnight
0.0.1 Amel~Medusa
0.0.1 MBK~ Chaos
0.0.1 Royal ~ Sobek
1.2.0 cats~Frosty,Pickle, Ziggy
2.1.0 little monsters ~ Taylor, Kaiden, Leah
1.0.0 understanding husband ~ Craig
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  09:06:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't personally risk it (and i DO co-habit - carefully!)
the size difference is a concern
the ages are a concern
the unproven sexes are a concern (i don't believe anything until it's bred - even the best rep shops can sex them wrong as i've found out!)

i just think it's asking for problems personally

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  09:46:19  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its great u have taken upon yourself to look after ur sisters snake but i would seperate them..

Also a 1 year old corn under 1 foot is quite worrying, my hatchies 3 months and over a foot now?

Id clean out its original tank and put it back in there to avoid any problems.

Go to Top of Page

jbarnes92
Egg

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  18:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice guys, I checked on them earlier and they were fine, cuddling up to eachother under a rock, it was so sweet :) anyway.. The reason I put them together is for the ease of things, I thought it would be convienient to house them together if they were okay with eachother (which they turned out to be) I have separated them again for now and will check on the sexes.. I believe it's no okay to house multiple males together because of dominance and it's fine for two females? Correct me if I'm wrong?

Lowestoft, Suffolk

Hunter - Jungle Carpet Python
3 Corn Snakes
Murphy - Black Labrador [ R.I.P ;( ]
Meg - Black Labrador
Rhea - Sprocker Spaniel
Jack - Rotty / Labrador
Trigger - Tabby Cat
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  18:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
them cuddling up together is them competing for the best space..so its not really that cute - one is possibly being stressed out..
lucky the rescued snake didnt have mites or anything as you could have had both snakes affected..
generally i wouldnt cohabit - i have 6 corns so i know how tempting it is! - the chances of one getting really stressed and being put off food,losing weight ect is too great and i wouldnt want to put them through it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  19:22:19  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbarnes92

Thanks for the advice guys, I checked on them earlier and they were fine, cuddling up to eachother under a rock, it was so sweet :) anyway.. The reason I put them together is for the ease of things, I thought it would be convienient to house them together if they were okay with eachother (which they turned out to be) I have separated them again for now and will check on the sexes.. I believe it's no okay to house multiple males together because of dominance and it's fine for two females? Correct me if I'm wrong?

no they weren't, they were both in the best spot for the correct temperature.

Please don't cohabit any snake that you have rescued from poor conditions, it is just asking for trouble. It should be in quarantine well away from your own snakes for a few months until you know its healthy - ideally a fecal and blood sample needs to be examined to check for any underlying conditions.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  22:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got 2 corns of roughly the same age (female is a couple of months older).

I've kept them together for years, it'll be three years at christmas i think. I feed them seperately but other than that, they're fine. They both have a warm hide and a cool hide each so i really don't encounter any problems!
I probably wouldnt have bought 2 snakes had i known the general opinion on cohabiting but the pet shop man told me it was fine! I'm not in a position to get another viv (no room for it!) and im not getting rid of one of my pals! Obviously if a problem arose i would have to do something about it... but for the moment i'm happy, and i think they are too!

Not so sure about the whole rescue snake idea though, eeji might be right about a quarantine period!

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Paul82
Egg

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  02:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive allways been told dont put females together but males are ok, but i think thay just tollorate each other, plus its better if there together from a very young age or from the same egg cluch even.

If it was me i would keep them apart and not take the risk, if anything did happen it would prob be when u not looking 'ie' when u sleeping and thay most active, and its not a pritty site. :]

1.0.0, Rusty (Carolina)
1.0.0, Casper (Snow)
1.0.0, Mitch (miami) he is new but 21 years old.

Princess lady legs (curly hair TARANTULA)

2 Dogs, Bruce (jack russel)
Bella (staffy)

Wish list, Bloodred motley stripe, Candy cane stripe, Childrens python.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  08:04:33  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul82

Ive allways been told dont put females together but males are ok, but i think thay just tollorate each other, plus its better if there together from a very young age or from the same egg cluch even.

i'm very intreagued who's given this err....'unusual' advice?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  09:29:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I probably wouldnt have bought 2 snakes had i known the general opinion on cohabiting but the pet shop man told me it was fine! I'm not in a position to get another viv (no room for it!) a

That's why there is such a thing as stacking viv's, 2 vivs take up as much floor space as one this way.

Your asking for one of your snakes to go to a vet if you putting young, un-sexed snakes in.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  09:37:38  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Stacking vivs is good. I have four corns in a floor space of 3' x 2'. Even if it's just a rub, those snakes really need separating. Good luck :)

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  19:45:26  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

I probably wouldnt have bought 2 snakes had i known the general opinion on cohabiting but the pet shop man told me it was fine! I'm not in a position to get another viv (no room for it!) a

That's why there is such a thing as stacking viv's, 2 vivs take up as much floor space as one this way.

Your asking for one of your snakes to go to a vet if you putting young, un-sexed snakes in.

if one needs the vet, then the other will need to go too :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  20:06:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you on about stacking eeji?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000