A little monkey to handle plus first meal photos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  03:12:33  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hiya

After not handling Phoenix all week, I decided to get her out today.

I picked her up from the box without any problems but once I had her in my hands she was starting acting so funny and had me in stitches, she kept striking into mid air and was waggling the end of her tail really hard.

I said to her "Are you trying to frighten me, cos its not working you know?". LOL LOL She stopped after a few minutes and was a little angel until I put her back in the box.

I decided to feed her as she was due, however giving her the pinky took a while, I had hold of it by the tail and was wiggling it to get her interested, she threatened to strike but didn't. Then after a few minutes she went for it but dropped it, so I tried waggling it again and she struck again but dropped it. So I thought okay this time is going to be third time lucky, and I was right, when she struck this time she kept hold and munched it really quick.

As I knew you would like to see some photos, I thought I'd take some whilst she was eating so I could post them on here for you to look at.

002 is Phoenix having a good scoff of the pinky and she made short work of it too.

003 is just a zoomed in shot from 002 of Phoenix eating the pinky.

004 is where Phoenix has just the tootsies left to go on the pinky.

005 shows Phoenix forcing the pinky down her body using rhythmic muscular pulses to her stomach.

006 is a lovely pic of Phoenix's head. Whilst I was looking at this pic I noticed something very strange on her head, can anyone else see it too? (PM me if you can see something and what you think it is, don't post it on the thread yet).

I hope you enjoyed reading the message about me handling and feeding Phoenix plus I also hope that you like all the pics I took.

Best wishes guys.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  04:40:23  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As the photos are ****ed up in the first post and I can't edit the post to change anything, I thought I'd do the right pics here in this post.

002 is Phoenix having a good scoff of the pinky and she made short work of it too.

003 is just a zoomed in shot from 002 of Phoenix eating the pinky.

004 is where Phoenix has just the tootsies left to go on the pinky.

005 shows Phoenix moving the pinky down her body using rhythmic muscular pulses to her stomach.

006 is a lovely pic of Phoenix's head. Whilst I was looking at this pic I noticed something very strange on her head, can anyone else see it too? (PM me if you can see something and what you think it is, don't post it on the thread yet).

I hope you enjoy all the pics I took.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  09:52:13  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aww she's cute! I don't think something that small and cute could frighten me, even if she was pretending to be a rattlesnake!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  09:55:12  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
awww what a cutie!! it's cuter when they try to act all scary lol

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  12:15:21  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice snake :] my anery motley hathclings the same thinks he's a cobra stuck in a corn snakes body! lol

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  12:45:58  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww she's adorable!!
bless her trying to be a big scary snakey!!

Go to Top of Page

clintham
Hatchling

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  13:33:43  Show Profile  Visit clintham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
glad the feed went ok - great pics

Cornsnakes 1.0.0 Cassius, Carolina, CB-22/07/10
Dogs 1.0.0 - Gorman, Black Labrador

Location Lincoln UK
My Photography http://lewiscarrington.deviantart.com/gallery
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  13:36:22  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nawww she looks so inocent nice pics :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  20:18:57  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your messages.

I did have a good laugh at her when she was trying to be big snakie instead of the teeny snakie she is.

One good thing is she didn't pooh on me at all.

Btw did no one notice what looks like a SKULL on her head in the last pic?

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  04:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phoenix is stunning Catherine, and I am so pleased that her first handling session and first feed went so well.

I love your attitude to her trying to scare you ....she really is a big bad snake, just trapped inside a shoelace of a body !

You also got some great pics of her feeding and it is really good that she is striking already (even if she is dropping it occasionally !).

One piece of advice....it is best not to have a handling session with her just before you feed her, think that way they dont associate handling with being fed and dont get over-tired or stressed. That was certainly the advice I was given, but I am no expert so cant say whether it is right or wrong....but I have kept to it, simply moving my snakes to where I am going to feed them and then after they have eaten gently lifting them back to their vivs (and leaving them for the necessary 48hrs of course !).

As for her not pooing on you....this was her first feed so you have that joy to come....and it will !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gemsyork
Hatchling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  10:33:36  Show Profile  Send Gemsyork a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Phoenix is stunning Catherine, and I am so pleased that her first handling session and first feed went so well.

I love your attitude to her trying to scare you ....she really is a big bad snake, just trapped inside a shoelace of a body !

You also got some great pics of her feeding and it is really good that she is striking already (even if she is dropping it occasionally !).

One piece of advice....it is best not to have a handling session with her just before you feed her, think that way they dont associate handling with being fed and dont get over-tired or stressed. That was certainly the advice I was given, but I am no expert so cant say whether it is right or wrong....but I have kept to it, simply moving my snakes to where I am going to feed them and then after they have eaten gently lifting them back to their vivs (and leaving them for the necessary 48hrs of course !).

As for her not pooing on you....this was her first feed so you have that joy to come....and it will !!

xxx

Lol it will and it stinks

I have had the same advice and it is working for me.

Baby snakies are so cute.

Corns, burms, king, KSBS, Rosy boas, Common boa, Leos, hamster, mice and rats
Go to Top of Page

BHAFC72
Egg

61 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  11:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good pictures mate. One of my snakes did it's first poo yesterday but thankfully on a towel.I had trouble with two of my snakes after feeding them.They would always strike when i go to pick them up and put them back into there rubs.That doesn't bother me but i was concerned about spooking them.I have since changed my routing and have been rewarded with far better behaved snakies.I have 3 in total and one has never ever shown any aggression.Shes very timid.
I've just brought my first camera and will post pictures once i've sussed how to use it properly.
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  22:10:11  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your messages.

Kellog we've always handled Tango before he was fed, we were never told about not doing so.

However saying that I took Phoenix out tonight as I noticed she had poohed in her box so it needed cleaning and shes not due to be fed again until Wednesday/Thursday.

She was a bit jumpy again when I got her out and she managed to get my hand with one of her little strikes lol, but she settled down really quickly and then just coiled round my fingers quietly. I was lucky she still didn't do anything on me, I'll keep my fingers crossed that continues.

Shes a little sweetie though and I think she will grow up to become a lovely snake, but we shall have to wait and see.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000