Heat Bulbs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  22:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I got my corn snake today and I was given a heat bulb and a heat mat but no thermostat - at the moment I just have the bulb in and my temperatures are hitting 27-29•c I have a heat mat but when the shop keeper made the viv up he never put it in I just got it in the pack. Is The heat bulb ok just to have and should I turn it off at night? without it my viv goes to 15-18•c....

Any thoughts...?

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  22:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a few thoughts yes, you need a stat for your light ASAP, they get extremely hot. You don't need both mat and lightfor heating your viv. As you need stats for both so that is an expensive layouts initially. If you are going to go with the heating from a bulb you will need a dimmer stat , also a light guard if you don't have one. If you are going to heat with the mat you need either pulse or on / off matstat. Either way you need a stat urgently. Personally i would not be leaving a light on at any time without a stat

Edited by - gmac on 18/09/2010 22:32:04
Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  22:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if I go with the heat mat which is more likely as I find it easier to work with - I just need a stat so should I set it to 28c and then leave it on at night.. Also where is the cheapest place to buy a stat? I have seen £16.99 but then post adds it to £22 anywhere cheaper
Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  22:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the heat bulb is a 40w and I left it for a while the viv temp only got to 28c. Oh and it's a wooden viv if that helps, For insulation.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  22:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i believe http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/ are very well priced, but have never bought from them so cant really say have a google and see what come up. It really doesn't matter what wattage your bulb is I would would still not use it without a stat.

Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  08:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked the temperature that it was over night 20 then the bulb takes it to 28 -
what does a dimmer do exactly just controls the heat given out?
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  08:56:28  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It allows you to control the temperature. That simple really. Basically although a bulb gives off those temps if you were to actually touch the bulb if would be hotter, and snakes love to climb etc.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  08:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have ordered a bulb guard off the Internet to prevent snakey to climb over and on it. During the day what would be a minimuim temp it could really go to?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000