Viv climbing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

53 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  19:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Riddle has been with me 3 days and spends alot of time climbing everywhere! Up the sides of the tank and on top of the hides! Way to defeat the purpose!!!

Is this normal? If so should I add some items for Riddle to climb?

I am a student on a major budget!

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  19:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh it's normal, plenty of snakes climb you can choose to give more climbing stuff it you want your snake will find things to climb
Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  19:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfectly normal he just trying to find a way out ;-)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

53 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  19:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is kinda shocking to look over to see him staring at you! Escape? He doesn't like me :'( Just kidding. He spends his time watching me and climbing and stetching out.
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  19:47:26  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is a thread on here about using branches and how to sort them out so they are safe, and if you have a tree in a garden then its free.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

53 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  19:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no tree in the garden but a raspberry bush and 3 large tomatoes plants 2 flower beds and an onion patch. The rest is under my mother's care so unmowed patchy grass. But I live near several nature reserves. I will have a look and thank you for the advice. Oh one thing is that cherry trees are poisionious. Highly so because everything contains hydranated cynide.
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2010 :  23:17:03  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dunelm is a good place for cheap fake plants i got a 3 foot vine for around £3.20 simular ones in the local rep shop are about £8 :0

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

53 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  00:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave my brother a quid; I have sandpaper and 5 years of woodshop should pay off.
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  02:29:58  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My girlfriend seemed quite hurt that my snake only ever wanted to escape, sleep or eat!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  03:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is totally normal behaviour for Riddle to be doing this Sarah, especially in the first few days of you having him. He is exploring his new home and looking for ways to escape....so double check any holes or gaps in glass that he may be able to slip through, their heads squash and whatever their heads can go through invariably their bodies follow!

What do you have in his tank at the moment?

Mikey already mentioned Dunelm Mill, this is a thread about it - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8346 and their website so you can get some idea as to what is available http://www.dunelm-mill.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Browse?storeId=10551&DisplayProductList=true&categoryId=14-14853&catalogId=11100&langId=-1

As for using wood from the garden or elsewhere, I have some lovely branches in my vivs....but you must be careful what wood you use as some is toxic to corns. This thread gives a list of what plants are toxic - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2402.

This should give you some idea about how to prepare branches to make them safe for your corn - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7285 and how to make your own decorations - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8509. This thread is also worth looking at as it covers the topic as to whether corns climb and also includes more info about preparing wood - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8993.

Sorry for all the links, its just easier that way than me writing too much ! But I warn you, Riddle's behaviour may change and once he has settled in he may never climb again....some corns dont, it just depends on the snake and the mood they are in. Sometimes the only time I see my adults is when I get them out to handle them, cos they spend all their time in their hides....but just yesterday Kellog was all over his branches exploring. You will just have to wait and see what sort of snake Riddle will turn out to be....how exciting !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

53 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  12:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
drchino: Riddle has a favourite spot to curl up during and at night Ridddle goes everywhere in his tank, always moving. Perfect pet for an insomniac college student. Sorry about your GF. My mother screamed when she looked in the tank and Ridddle moved and twist his head to watch her. Not pretty.

Ms Reeves: Thank you for the advice and I will go look at the links now. Regarding the toxicity of plants I should be fine as I use homeopathy alot and reasearch for such things has led me to write a grimore or book detailing the plants and trees, their uses and possible toxicity. Riddle is fine and as long as people leave the cage be Riddle shouldn't get out as my OCD tendercies make sure the tank is perfect all the time. I know I can't wait to learn all about him.
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  15:57:36  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Izzy has found her fave spot too! Right at the back of the viv under a plant and vine! She has pretty much ignored the hide that I spent £10 on for her!! Cheeky thing! My mum came and saw her today for the first time and admitted she was quite cute!

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  05:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaneLupine

Regarding the toxicity of plants I should be fine as I use homeopathy alot and reasearch for such things has led me to write a grimore or book detailing the plants and trees, their uses and possible toxicity....

That must be fascinating Sarah....and if you have any advice and suggestions to add to our 'toxic list' I do hope you will add them. We need all the help we can get !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  12:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just remember that toxic to us isn't necessarily safe for reptiles though. Regardless of how diluted some things are.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000