a good idea?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  13:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just changed kalou's water, when doin so i read to run my hand through the aspen alittle to get my scent on it, so i did that. i also picked up his coconut hide and rubbed my hands all over it, popped it back, along with his water. then after around 10 mins he started to inspect . he weaved his way through the aspen, up and over his coconut hide, then eventually inside the hide. i could quite clearly see him havin a good smell of everything. was this a good idea to get my scent around his viv?

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  14:50:13  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah i do the same with my hatchling to try and get him used to my scent when handling, cos he's a fiesty little bugger! you could also try putting a piece of your worn clothing in with him :]

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  15:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
might giv that a try.. i couldnt help but raise a smile when he was inside his hide aving a good old sniff..lol
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  16:58:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you dont have any old clothes to give up you could just try cheap gloves, socks etc or carrying a small piece of cloth in your clothing for a day or 2.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2010 :  18:11:14  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The clothing trick is one that is used a lot on here.
My Sidney still sleeps under his log with one of my old socks!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  04:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you have done is perfect Craig....he is getting used to your smell as it is now spread around his viv and as his viv is his home and he feels safe it means he will hopefully not see you as too much of a threat once you come to handle him.

You can put an item of clothing in as well if you feel the need to, although as your scent is already in there and he seems settled with you this may not be necessary. If you do decide to put something in just make sure it is small and tightly woven so he cant try and squeeze through the material. Best suggestion I have heard is a sock with the foot part cut out, so you only have the bit that covers the ankle. Not so sure about the gloves....you dont want him getting stuck!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 19/09/2010 04:31:47
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  08:48:49  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Someone told me that for a hatchling if you use gloves but cut the fingers out then the hatchling can easily get through the hole(s) at the other end.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000