Nerve's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bailaz_85
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  15:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just went to my local rep shop to have a look at some corns but I had a hold of a milksnake instead as they had no corns available.
The milk was 7-8months old and very calm BUT I on the other hand was a nervous wreck.

Now as I really want a corn I see this as a problem because if I am like that in the shop how will I ever cope on my own.

So just looking for some advice on how to get over the first nerves of owning a corn

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Carry on how you are, then your nerves will go.
If the snake was at ease, then it shows how relaxed it was with you.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are all a little nervous when we hold our first snake, heaven knows i was but the more you do it, the better it becomes and the nerves soon go.

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you get used to it and you realise that if you dont make any sudden moves then chances are snakey wont either, you both get used to eachother as im sure snakey will be just as nervous to start with as you are
i was really nervous with mont but poor luke was even worse with Lucien - lucien was a real shoestring and luke was trying to hold him gently with his bear paws lol but when he realised that he wasnt going to squish him or anything he stopped being so nervous

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was very scared of my snake when I first got her, I'd lie awake convinced she would escape, get into my bed and bite me, I was scared to pick her up, sometimes I'd even get scared looking at her. However, now I am never scared, handle her everyday and am no longer worried about her attacking my toes in the night :D It's natural to be a little afraid, they are unusual creatures at first and difficult to read :) persevere, you'll be ok :)

zan x
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got my first snakes I was so scared of doing something wrong I used to shake all over. Offering a mouse on tongs I didn't need to wiggle it - my hands were doing that for me!

Now I can't imagine life without snakes.

I suppose it's like learning to drive - what's terrifying at first soon comes naturally.

You'll be fine!
Go to Top of Page

kim
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had our Flakes for under 2 weeks, so I was really nervous of handling him to start with, then I saw how relaxed he was on my Hubby, that I couldn't wait to hold him. Now all I have to do is manage to get Flakes out of his Viv on my own! Take it easy and I agree the more contact you have the better you will feel.

Flakes - Corn Snake - Hatched 25th June 2010
Andy - Husband
Faith - Daughter
Tommy - Border Collie Aged approx 13
Bobby - Border Collie aged 12
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  21:38:19  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i was nervous in the shop at the start and when i first picked her up incase she bit me even know i knew she hadnt bit anyone, youl get used to it real soon trust me :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  04:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is right Bailaz....it is something that you do just get used to and what you have to realise is that the snake is probably more nervous and scared than you are!

When you do get your snake it may seem flighty and scared to begin with...but again, you have to realise it is natural and something both it and you have to get used to. You must just be very calm and steady with your movements. You just repeat again and again and again for short periods of only about 5mins to begin with....(except for 48hrs after eating of course!)....and you will begin to notice a difference in its behaviour as it gets used to being handled and will begin to tolerate it. As it gets used to it so will you and your confidence will grow.

A snake, like all animals, will be able to tell you are not confident and that will make it more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'....behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and it will respond positively to that.

It really will be a case of time and patience and quality of handling rather than quantity. You will just need to take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will your snake trust you.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  11:34:22  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try not to worry. I'm sure we all had the odd nerve or two when we first had our own snake. Just take it slow and steady and you'll be ok. If you're really worried you could ask the shop if you can go in daily for a while until you are happier handling on your own. I'm sure they'd help you if you put a good size deposit down on the snake first! Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to jsut stand and stare at Cinders in her RUB for ages, too scared of hurting her or losing her if i got her out. Now I sit at my pc typing this with a snake exploring my desk and keyboard! The nerves will go, dont worry about it. The more you handle, the more settled you and your snakes will become. Personally, once they look thicker than a pencil and a few inches long, i tend to realize that these things are pretty much all muscle and they can handle it. I'm still nervous of injuring hatchies though, they look too small to be true!

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000