Rat equivalent of XLarge mice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  13:38:02  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As title says, I get mixed results of fuzzies and pinky rats and I'm sure they aren't they same thing. My taken over local now doesn't supply xlarge mice as "nobody was asking for them" so if I can't find anywhere that sells them I need an equivalent :/ They also seem to go out of stock or large mice regularly so is there also a rat equivalent of this that is suitable for a dieting snake? I ask this as I know young rats are fatty and I don't want him to pack on the weight again.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  13:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

As title says, I get mixed results of fuzzies and pinky rats and I'm sure they aren't they same thing. My taken over local now doesn't supply xlarge mice as "nobody was asking for them" so if I can't find anywhere that sells them I need an equivalent :/ They also seem to go out of stock or large mice regularly so is there also a rat equivalent of this that is suitable for a dieting snake? I ask this as I know young rats are fatty and I don't want him to pack on the weight again.

I'm not too sure.. but dont feed as much rats as you would do mice, but whether this'd benefit the snake I dunno.

Have you considered ordering online, Stapler?

Edited by - hillzi on 11/08/2010 13:44:19
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  13:49:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes but we have a fridge freezer jobby, so not a lot of freezer space. The amount I would order online to get get it pet shop price or cheaper would take up the whole fridge :( I look at some online places like a&n and they seem to stock medium and then ex-breeder which I always thought was ex-large but surely if they were truly ex-large they would also stock a large :/

There's no way I can store the in my b/f freezer because of his brother.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  14:03:08  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
An extra large mouse is equivelant to a weaned rat, if you are going to feed rat though, feed them less often.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  16:25:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

An extra large mouse is equivelant to a weaned rat

my XL/ex-breeder mice weigh in at 35-45g, my small rat weaners range from 40-90g............
i'd be more inclined to feed 2 large mice per feed and offer a feed every 10-14 days for an adult male corn

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  17:34:42  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

An extra large mouse is equivelant to a weaned rat

my XL/ex-breeder mice weigh in at 35-45g, my small rat weaners range from 40-90g............
i'd be more inclined to feed 2 large mice per feed and offer a feed every 10-14 days for an adult male corn

I've noticed that the rats range alot more in weight, i haven't actually got any weaned rats as rocky is still on rat fluffs, so i took that information from a website i reffered to when i was researching about getting a boa.

But i guess it also varies from where you get your mice/rats.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:05:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

But i guess it also varies from where you get your mice/rats.

very true, one rep shops medium mouse is another rep shops large mouse...........

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  22:31:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The large mice from the shop seem kind of on the small size. I really don't see the point in feeding two mice and rats are out of the question as I have no idea how often to feed them to a dieting snake. Thanks though I think I will may have to order online or go mouse hunting :(

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  08:33:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really don't see the point in feeding two mice............

because you can't get mice the right size...?

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  09:31:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
True but it is more expensive that way and I'm sure 2 large would be more than one xl in weight

Edit: Grrr the main reptile shop in town doesn't sell them either :/ This is so annoying :/ I think I am going to have to feed rats :/ what is a weaned rat? Is that the stage before/after he rat pups or fluffs?

Edited by - Sta~ple on 12/08/2010 09:41:52
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  10:17:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

True but it is more expensive that way and I'm sure 2 large would be more than one xl in weight

true, to compensate ideally extend the feeding interval (number of days between feeds)

quote:

what is a weaned rat? Is that the stage before/after he rat pups or fluffs?

rat pups, then fuzzies/fluffs, then weaners hun nutritionally they're a poor staple diet for a corn but it's better than letting him starve lol

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  10:44:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is so annoying no-where literally stocks them as they seem to be a disappointment or something lol. Thanks gp :) Would 1 large mouse every week be a good feeding guide as well? I normally feed one xlarge every 2 weeks. Would the 1 large mouse ever week be better than a small weaners? If I did feed weaners would every 14 days be good, If not how often would I feed? Are weaner rats those rats a tad bigger than x large mice? Sorry, I'm useless with rats lol

Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  19:51:07  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my petshop does mice in pinkie fluff L or XL and two L is half again what an XL is, personally i would feed 1 large a week its not going to save you any money but should be fine for the snakie just exercise him/her alot i put Austin on the stairs once a week (when i remember and the house is free of scare of snake types ;P) and when i handle him i make him climb up and pull himself around the weight is falling off him (still has a fat ass tho) could look at going on ebay ive seen beer fridges for £20 ish that have little freezers in the top thats what i use (and handy place for beer) and that houses frozen mice for all mine quite happy, then you could order online and save money id say within 6 months you would have saved enough to warrent the fridge then all savings and happy days from then on :D

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  04:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know it is a more expensive way to do it Sta~ple, but it may be the only way and I havent found that 2 large mice I feed Silvesta equal more than the x-large I feed Kellog.....but then as GP says....

quote:

one rep shops medium mouse is another rep shops large mouse...........

With Silvesta it is the only way I can do it, 1 large mouse hardly leaves a bump but he is no-where near wide enough to handle x-large yet....

Wish I could help with the rat predicament but know nothing about them, sorry.

I would think that 1 large mouse a week is the way to go, but you know that I am no expert.

Do like Azzheasman's suggestion about the beer fridge with freezer is the way to go, or a mini freezer like these - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=mini+freezers&_sacat=See-All-Categories

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  07:43:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have been looking at freezers, but it seems a bit over the top at the moment to get one for a few jumbos. There seems to be a 3 months/6 month rule on frozen mice as well (although I have been using mice that have been in the freezer for over without ill effects!) and the only way to buy them online and actually break shop price would be to buy a years supply.

I will have to try the 1 large a week me thinks. I can e-mailed some other rep shops around near where I live and one in notts so hopefully they will respond and will stock them :)

Thanks very much though guys.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  08:38:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

...the only way to buy them online and actually break shop price would be to buy a years supply.

or you could try what we do..........?
a group of us that live locally put in a combined order so we get the bulk discounts and free delivery
we order about 3 months supply at a time but we do have a dedicated snake food freezer (and 20+ snakes between me and dazb!)

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  10:20:43  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Might be a stupid suggestion but have you tried your local freegle group for a freezer. There are a few come up occasionally on my local group although I do not have this problem as my rep dealer delivers my prey weekly so I never have to much of it in the freezer. In case you didnt know freegle is what used to be freecycle where people give stuff they no longer need away for free all you have to do is go pick it up. I have got loads of stuff off freegle to much to mention its ace.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  12:06:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

...the only way to buy them online and actually break shop price would be to buy a years supply.

or you could try what we do..........?
a group of us that live locally put in a combined order so we get the bulk discounts and free delivery
we order about 3 months supply at a time but we do have a dedicated snake food freezer (and 20+ snakes between me and dazb!)

That would be awesome but I don't really live near anyone here :/

Thanks elament I will try that.

Got a replie from a rep shop in notts, they say they sell jumbos. If the are indeed jumbo's, I can buy them from there. My boyfriend goes near that shop so when he comes home for a weekend or hoilday he could pick me some up :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000