Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Does the snake like me or just think I'm food?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother got a snake a while ago, but they kept fining him for having a pet in his dorm room. He brought her home during the summer, and he comes home every now and then to feed her.

For the past week or two, I think she's been seeing me more than she's seen my brother. Actually, she's probably seen the cat hanging around more than me. (The cat just ignores the tank, so no problems there.)

I'm only wondering, but how do I know if she thinks I'm a friend or is getting ready to snap at me if I open the tank? I sit around and talk to her sometimes, and she comes out from her hiding places. If she's flicking her tongue at me, is that because she wants to know what I smell like or because she wants to know if I'll be tasty? What about if she likes to come out and follow where I am in the room?

Kay, well if I sound silly and I'm asking a dumb question, sorry. I never really liked snakes anyway...

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:25:30  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
her flicking her tongue is just a natural thing, she is processing the smells, with enough contact she will know the smells and therefore know you don't pose a threat. You will only smell like food if you have been handling mice, hamsters etc, wether they be frozen or pets.

If she was going to bite you, then she would probably hiss first, and assume the striking possition.

Don't worry about asking questions, no question is deemed silly, and if you weren't to ask you would never know

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 11/08/2010 21:26:13
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming she gets fed on a regular basis for her age.

Sounds like typical corn behaviour. They're inquisitive and friendly; the tongue flicking is typical alert snake behaviour, as well as an enhancement of snake sense of smell. If she was thinking of biting you she would go into a defensive 's' shape - though even then she probably wouldn't bite - she'd just be scared.

Corns like company - sounds to me as if she'd like to come out and roam round your lap (48 hours after food, though, and preferably after you've noticed a mess in her viv, unless you're fond of doing extra laundry!) If mine are feeling sociable they just come straight out on to my hands. She's probably interested in the cat, too - I know I'm not observing strict guidelines here but all my snakes - corns and small royal python - regularly commune with my (very sedate) middleaged cats through the glass - in fact the royal is more confident with one of the cats than me!

I might be sounding rather sentimental here but she sounds like a lonely snake who might like some company.

There might be some more experienced people along soon who are better at advising you on how to pick her up, handle her, and you might get some tips by reading the 'stickies'. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:41:43  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is really such a thing as a lonely snake, corns are solitary animals and none of the behaviour will be down to him being lonely.

Also corns don't necesarily "like" company, its more of a toleration, although they are inquisitive, so when your corn comes out of its hide to see whats going on its because they're confident enough to do so, not because they want to be handled.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry DannyBrown I think we overlapped with info ... yeah, I know I might sound sentimental. But you've got to admit they're nosy little gits!

Depends on whether you're in the handling/non handling camp - I don't have a choice - my lot demand to be handled! (Except royal who is still settling in.)
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  22:10:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I handle all my snakes all the time, i just try not to interprite (spelling?) their actions with human emotions, although i know how easy it would be to do.

I know what you mean about them "demanding to be handled" whenever i open Rockies rub he climbs out. The common thing to think would be that he is trying to escape, but he either just sits on the lip of his RUB or climbs onto my arm.

Reggie is also now at the point were he has become very confident and when ever go near his tank he will pop out from where ever he is to see whats going on.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 11/08/2010 22:13:44
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww that's cool - bless them!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  05:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds as though you have been landed with a snake you dont really want Roybotica....which I am sorry about. It is one reason we try and get young people to think twice before getting a snake, cos they dont know what they are going to do and when they go off to uni they cant take the snake with them....which means that either they have to get rid of them or the family is left with a new pet, like you have been.

If you really dont like snakes have you thought about asking your brother to find it a new home? I know he comes back to feed it, but he isnt getting any enjoyment from it and it doesnt sound as though you are....

Your question has been answered about the tongue flicking, so hopefully you now feel more comfortable about the fact that she isnt going to find you tasty. And Danny is right, no question on here is a dumb question....it is much better that you ask it and get the answer you need than carry on not knowing....and the forum is here to help.

You say that you sit and talk to her, but do you handle her at all? If not, do you think you could? This is thread gives some advice on how to go about handling if you do decide to give it a try - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8735. I hope you do, personally I dont like the idea of a snake spending all of its time in its viv as it needs stimulation and exercise, which is what it gets from being handled.

I do agree with Danny that she isnt lonely and she probably doesnt want company, we must always be careful not to put human emotions onto snakes....but she could probably do with some time outside of her viv, so if she isnt getting that then please think about it.

She will be watching what you are doing in the room, and again this is totally normal. She wants to know what is going on around her and is inquisitive.

She will know your smell from when you change her water daily, so will be used to you....which will help when it comes to handling her.

I hope that has been of some help to you Roybotica....I am just sorry we cant help more.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  10:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, Kellog, hijacking the thread a bit but when I use words like 'lonely' and 'company', I'm not using them in the sense of human emotions but in the sense of what you yourself quite rightly say - that it's good for a snake to have some stimulation and exercise away from its viv.

My mistake for not making myself clearer - it's easy to use those words as a kind of shorthand while still being aware that snake needs and curiosities are nothing like human ones.

I once read that if a snake gets used to a human it will see them as a sort of safe tree to climb - I think that puts it very well.

You've got to admit they are nosy little gits though!

Roybotica - hope you get things settled okay with your snake - all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  14:34:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the snake isn't happy with you, it will assume a striking position or rattle it's tail. Tongue flickering is just them trying to figure out their surrounds and see if your a predator or prey.

They are very nosey creatures, mine is constantly always out having a good nosey at what I'm doing. He also seems to stare at my cat as well, the cat doesn't bother them but the snake likes to watch him sleep it seems :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000