Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

joetheimpaler
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  21:06:04  Show Profile  Visit joetheimpaler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just wondering, how would you get a heat mat in a wooden viv because the mains wire would have nowhere to go. i was thinking about drilling a hole but the plug wouldnt fit through the hole. and one more thing, you cant put a heat mat on the outside of a wooden viv and on the inside wont the snake get burned? please reply

1 dog-indie
3 cats-martha,meow and pippin,
1 corn snake -Topaz.
4 chickens - Psycho, Dutch, Alan and ownage

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  21:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its the same as my set up. You drill a hole in the back of the viv, remove the plug from the wire, feed the cable through and then attach the plug again.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  21:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also as long as you've got wood chippings etc. covering the mat then it wont get burnt.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  21:24:32  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ditto on the heat mat, I prefer heat mats that you can remove the plug as with my Leopard Gecko viv, but my new heat mat for my new snake setup has a moulded plug on it, luckily the viv is the Vivexotic VX 36 and so comes with cable outlets, you just put the cables through before installing the top.

As for having the heat mat on the inside, that's where it is supposed to go and as long as your temps are correct your snake won't get burned, so around 29c would be a nice comfort level.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  10:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There should be no burning provided your heat source is thermostatically controlled and temps are set appropriately
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  11:17:03  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As LittleMick said above.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  11:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like is said above, as long as the thermostat probe goes on the mat and is set to cut off if the temp rises above 29/30c then it should be fine. Some people put something on top like vinyl tile or something, others don't. Who here does that just out of interest, or does everyone have the aspen (other substrates) straight on top of the mat?

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  12:04:40  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
mine is just as it is no vinyl tile and I never had any problems although in both vivs the mat is pinned down with heavy hides on top.

Editted to add: In both vivs the residents have moved the aspen so they are laying directly on the mat. They seem to like it that way so I have left it like that

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 16/07/2010 12:06:03
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  12:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think your question has really been answered Joe, but I will just describe the set up of my 2 wooden vivs. The heatmats are on the inside, covering 1/3 of the area of the base. There is a hole drilled in the back of the vivs just big enough to fit through the cable for the heatmat and the probe for the stat.

I am one of those who does cover their heatmats with vinyl....OH's idea, just as more protection for the heatmat, not the snake. Stops it getting dirty if they poo on it and protects it if water is spilled. Probe for the stat is then laid horizontally on top of the vinyl over the heatmat, along with the probe for the digital thermometer. I have a small covering of substrate over the vinyl and the probes are weighed down with heavy rocks so that the snakes cannot move them.

As long as your heatmat has a thermostat controlling it then it should never get to a heat to burn your snake....but it is also vital to have a digital thermometer monitoring the temperature in the viv. Silvesta managed to move the probe so it was pointing skyward, if I hadnt seen on the thermometer that the temperature was climbing about 30oC I would not have noticed and he could have been burnt.

Hope that is of some help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

111 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  19:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kellog what sort vinyl

winston
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  19:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use vinyl too, but it covers the whole viv floor so it's easier to seal properly. Like Kellog it's for the protection of the mat rather than the snake, mainly to keep it dry. My probes are aquarium sealed down onto the vinyl above the warmest part of the heat mat (with another thermometer probe in the cool end). Just normal vinyl from B and Q or carpet stores. Free if you get the end of a roll, and also a very nice wood effect!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  20:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kev

kellog what sort vinyl

Are there different sorts of vinyl ? Just some offcuts my OH had, the normal stuff....

I havent done as Nazzle has and sealed the probes onto the vinyl cos I like to be able to move things round to clean up properly....but it is all personal choice.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  12:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooooooh I have some wood effect vinyl off cuts from the dining room :D I'll be doing that! Thanks guys lol.. like you said, it'll be so much better than our snakes poopin on the mat itself lol

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  15:25:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just put my substrate ontop of the heatmat. Venom did manage to poo on the heatmat, that black boxy bit but it was fine. I think you have to be more careful with royals and other bigger bodied snakes with heatmats though as it says larger snakes can flood them. I did think about sealing it down or putting vinyl over it but if I ever need to take the mat out because it broke or something, it would be harder to do so. Plus I have no idea how you would seal around the cable outlet!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  08:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With larger bodied snakes you shouldn't use a heatmat for the same reason, they cover the whole thing. It is critical that the heatmat can breathe, if its totally covered then the heat cannot escape, and as generally with bigger bodied snakes, they move everything out the way, including the probes, the heatmat can get too hot.
This is something I learnt not so long ago, its called thermal blocking.
Even statted mats can get too hot in this case, as only the part of the mat that's covered heats up, and as most big snakes cover most of the mat, it can get very hot.
The highest temp is have seen a small mat get to is just over 200 degrees c, the mat was also statted.
That is why you don't use heatmats with big snakes.
Corns are fine, they don't have the weight big snakes do.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  11:22:39  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Mike I have always wondered about covering heatmats as I assumed surely they would have to work a lot harder to get the heat passage through the vinyl. Incidently to add to the heatmat debate I once spoke to the bloke at eurorep and he told me the heatmats are wee and poo proof as they are laminated (encapsulated in plastic) that the only bit you have to worry about is the connecting block that is apparently silicone sealed but no so waterproof that you could immerse it in water which you could do with the element part as it is laminated.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  20:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

ooooooh I have some wood effect vinyl off cuts from the dining room :D I'll be doing that! Thanks guys lol.. like you said, it'll be so much better than our snakes poopin on the mat itself lol

HA HA HA ,I hope they are off cuts,the other half will be well p****** off when they see a square hole in the lino floor.....

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  21:08:25  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

With larger bodied snakes you shouldn't use a heatmat for the same reason, they cover the whole thing. It is critical that the heatmat can breathe, if its totally covered then the heat cannot escape, and as generally with bigger bodied snakes, they move everything out the way, including the probes, the heatmat can get too hot.
This is something I learnt not so long ago, its called thermal blocking.
Even statted mats can get too hot in this case, as only the part of the mat that's covered heats up, and as most big snakes cover most of the mat, it can get very hot.
The highest temp is have seen a small mat get to is just over 200 degrees c, the mat was also statted.
That is why you don't use heatmats with big snakes.
Corns are fine, they don't have the weight big snakes do.

omg how did that not burnt down the viv/RUB?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  09:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol yeah wouldn't be too impresses with a viv sized square out from under the dining room table haha..

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  11:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It didnt buurn anything because it was a controlled test, not an accident!
It just shows what even small heatmats are capable of!

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  14:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this thread has been very useful to me, as im putting my corn into his bigger wooden viv in a few months+have been wondering about heat matt positioning! My thinking is that aslong as ive got a digital thermometer probe+the thermostat probe on the black parts of the heat matt, then it shouldnt get above temp. Anyone recommend a safe way to attatch the probes to the heat matt, as im aware that tape is a no no!
Also, ive been told that if you crank up the temp about 6degrees, then the temp inside the viv will be correct with the heat matt underneath the wooden base - am i right in doubting this?? anyone do this?

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page