Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  16:34:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

It didnt buurn anything because it was a controlled test, not an accident!
It just shows what even small heatmats are capable of!

Prrf your supposed to tell everyone heat mats are dangerous and will burn down their house :p

You can silicon the probes down or super glue them. My thermometer and probe are banded together and my thermometer has a suction cup so I stick the cup onto the mat and weight it all down with some stones.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  05:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Thanks for that Mike I have always wondered about covering heatmats as I assumed surely they would have to work a lot harder to get the heat passage through the vinyl........

I havent found this an issue at all Elament, my stat is set just below 30oC and the digital temp reading above the vinyl is usually just above or below 28oC....so not much difference.

quote:
Originally posted by tinamiles

........Anyone recommend a safe way to attatch the probes to the heat matt, as im aware that tape is a no no!

Also, ive been told that if you crank up the temp about 6degrees, then the temp inside the viv will be correct with the heat matt underneath the wooden base - am i right in doubting this?? anyone do this?

Tape is definitely a no no Tina. I dont have my probes attached, just weighed down with rocks....but I think other forum users have used aquarium sealant to attach the probes to the heatmat. I just dont like the idea of it being a permanent attachment....but that is a personal opinion.

Your 2nd question has confused me a bit about cranking up the temp 6 degrees to get the right temp in the viv with the heatmat underneath the wooden base???

With a wooden viv you put the heatmat in the viv, not under it like you do with glass or plastic fauns. This means that you should have the temp on the stat almost in the right place (around 28/29oC) to get the right heat coming from the heatmat....although this must be monitored by the digital thermometer and you may need to tweak the stat slightly to get the temp that you want.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

CSJ
Egg

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  15:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

With larger bodied snakes you shouldn't use a heatmat for the same reason, they cover the whole thing. It is critical that the heatmat can breathe, if its totally covered then the heat cannot escape, and as generally with bigger bodied snakes, they move everything out the way, including the probes, the heatmat can get too hot.
This is something I learnt not so long ago, its called thermal blocking.
Even statted mats can get too hot in this case, as only the part of the mat that's covered heats up, and as most big snakes cover most of the mat, it can get very hot.
The highest temp is have seen a small mat get to is just over 200 degrees c, the mat was also statted.
That is why you don't use heatmats with big snakes.
Corns are fine, they don't have the weight big snakes do.

Hi Mike. If you don't use heatmats for large snakes, what would you use?

joetheimpaler: I have mine set up as Kellog has described with one exception. I used the bag the mat came in to cover it - folding the edges over and taping them down for a snug fit. I read that on another forum and am trialing it at the moment. Both my stat and thermometer have alarms so I don't need to worry too much about over-heating. I've also covered the part where the electrics contact the mat with aquarium sealant for extra waterproofing.

0.1.2 Amels (Juvenile/hatchlings)
1.0.0 Hypo Normal (Adult)
0.1.0 Ghost Motley/Stripe (Adult)
0.0.1 Snow (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Creamsicle (Adult)
0.1.0 Grey Rat Snake (Adult)
0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milk (Yearling)
0.0.1 Pueblan Milk (Yearling)
0.0.1 Grey Banded King (Juvenile)
0.1.0 Pacific Gopher (Adult)
0.1.0 Royal Python (Juvenile)
1.1.0 BCI (Adults)

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  16:22:29  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CSJ

quote:

With larger bodied snakes you shouldn't use a heatmat for the same reason, they cover the whole thing. It is critical that the heatmat can breathe, if its totally covered then the heat cannot escape, and as generally with bigger bodied snakes, they move everything out the way, including the probes, the heatmat can get too hot.
This is something I learnt not so long ago, its called thermal blocking.
Even statted mats can get too hot in this case, as only the part of the mat that's covered heats up, and as most big snakes cover most of the mat, it can get very hot.
The highest temp is have seen a small mat get to is just over 200 degrees c, the mat was also statted.
That is why you don't use heatmats with big snakes.
Corns are fine, they don't have the weight big snakes do.

Hi Mike. If you don't use heatmats for large snakes, what would you use?

Heat bulbs.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

tinamiles
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  20:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tape is definitely a no no Tina. I dont have my probes attached, just weighed down with rocks....but I think other forum users have used aquarium sealant to attach the probes to the heatmat. I just dont like the idea of it being a permanent attachment....but that is a personal opinion.

Your 2nd question has confused me a bit about cranking up the temp 6 degrees to get the right temp in the viv with the heatmat underneath the wooden base???

With a wooden viv you put the heatmat in the viv, not under it like you do with glass or plastic fauns. This means that you should have the temp on the stat almost in the right place (around 28/29oC) to get the right heat coming from the heatmat....although this must be monitored by the digital thermometer and you may need to tweak the stat slightly to get the temp that you want.

xxx

Kellog, sorry i confused you. i thought you put the heat matt inside a wooden viv, ive just been told by someone that you can also put them underneath like with a glass one!
Think im gonna put the heatmatt inside+hold the probes down with a heavy hide!!
thanks

1.1 Cornsnake: Fluffy and Blaze
1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa: Falcor
0.1 Bearded dragon: Chilli
1.1 Cats: Jackson and Mia
1.0 Fiance: Ade :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: