Scale damage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  16:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya, I posted this question on here a few days ago, but I have pictures now.

Does anyone know if this is scale rot? the photo's are of the only scale with the problem. I've been trying to work out what happened, phoned the vets etc, he says don't bring her in unless it gets any worse, and has told me what to do as a home remedy. he also said if it doesnt get visibly better next week, bring her in.

He says it sounds like a tiny cut that has got infected, possibly leading to necrosis. The pictures dont show a cut too well, but there is a definate split about half a mm long at the edge of the scale. the scab spread out from there over the past few days, treatment started yesterday.

The scab is dry and yellow, with white tiny "lumps" no more then a mm long, just on the edge of the yellow scab, if it's puss, it's minimal, and really doesnt appear blistering.

Hopefully the photos convey the problem, it's the only affected scale, the vet suggested iodine diluted in water, dabbed on three to four times a day unless she visibly shows stress, in which case 2 times a day, but 4 is proving fine for her! I'm confident in the vet, hes really good, but he hasnt seen it in person, just over the phone advice. like i said, if it gets any worse, shes going straight in.

Heres a link to some pictures of the scale

shes 4 or so years old, happy and otherwise healthy! eating strongly, she doesnt flinch at the site being touched.. not sure what else to tell you!

Does it look like scale rot? necrotic? a cut that's got infected?

Cheers,
Josh

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 22/06/2010 17:43:31

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  16:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the orangeness on the other scales is her natural belly colour, always has been, and i guess always will be! she's like it even when shes not in shed, its literally just that one, almost square patch. shes on newspaper now, everythings been disinfected, she has a water bowl, but no other moisture in the tank at all..
Cheers,
Josh
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  17:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've never seen scale rot that looks that dry and localised.
To me it does look more like she's snagged the scale and damaged it somehow, I've had similar scales on one of my snakes in the past and they went after a couple sheds. They were damaged scales as opposed to infected and the only thing I made sure of was keeping the viv clean, and monitoring it.

It's always worrying, and for now I couldn't suggest anything you've already been told.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  21:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, that's what I thought, I have never dealt with scale rot, so I can only view pics on the internet - which are always the most horrific ones! so.. you can't be sure! Well, shes in a spotless tank now, i'll replace her furnishings when the scale gets better, no signs of a rapid shed cycle yet, we shall see! i'll keep her clean and dry, and keep applying iodine!

If anyone else has seen a scale like this, or anyother suggestions, it would be apreciated!
Cheers,
Josh
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  22:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it could be a bit of localised fungal infection, but looks more like a little damage.
If you want something really really good to help heal it, look for f10 cream, its incredible stuff.
I had a boa with a wonky nose, she had a hole in her nose about the size of my small finger nail, it was heavily infected with salmonella and a few other nasties.
I treated with F10, within 2 weeks it had healed really nicely.
It looks a little like vaseline, about 10 quid for a pot, but is worth every single penny, and more!

Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  17:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So treatment's been going 3 days now basically, the scale is looking alot better, the same area is covered, but less white puss or fungus or what ever the white stuff was! just a orangy yellow dry square on the scale now.. Will keep going untill she shed's and I can see the situation after that, still, any other ideas as to what caused this would be a help - prevention is better then cure!

Cheers,
Josh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000