Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  23:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is the wrong forum, but I've posted on the Royal forum too but I don't think it's as active as this one.

Today Odin started stargazing, he's been off his food but only for a week (since last tuesday as that's when he wouldn't feed). He sounded a bit crackly, and his skin seemed to be a bit saggy so I thought that perhaps he was dehydrated so whenever I change his water I'll put him it in, and I've seen him drink when I've done that. But I had him out a moment ago and he's badly stargazing, I think it may be IBD =[ I'm really upset about the idea of losing him, he's only a snake but I'm still crying about it.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  11:05:37  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whats the tempertures? set-up?
Have you tried reptoboost?

I thought stargazing was a birth defect??

one of mine knocked the probe off the mat, and the mat went up to about 40C, I found out a short while after it had happened, and altho mostly fine, occasionally he can get a little wobbly headed since then.

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  14:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He's got a heat mat at one side, it gets to about 28C.
It only started yesterday, after a week of him seeming to be under the weather.

I thought so too, which is why I feared IBD. Those on the Python forum said it doesn't seem to be IBD as I posted a video, he's "cork screwing" which shows a neurological disorder =/

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  14:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The temps ideally should be round about 32 -33 in the warm end so try raising the temps. Have looked at the video on TRP and cant add more than what everyone on TRP has said, it does appear to be corkscrewing rather than gazing. would do as advised over on TRP try to feed when due and visit the Vets when you can.

quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

I thought stargazing was a birth defect??

Stargazers in corns is different slightly as this is it a recessive gene primarily within the sunkissed morph at the moment and it is neurological and can be passed on to offspring.

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  14:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I realised that 28C was a bit cool, so I'm trying to up his temp. The issue I have though is that his viv is on top of my Corn's viv, and when I have her heat lamp on it makes his viv warmer. Is there any way of cooling one end down?

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  14:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are both hot ends above each other, if so what stat you using as this should regulate the temps in the royals viv even with the extra heat from below. What sizes are the 2 vivs.

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  15:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah they are, I'm using a Pro Timer from Lucky Reptiles. They're about 1ft by 2ft, they both have the same one.

I just checked on him, and he's really lost weight overnight =/ Or at least looks like he has, as I don't want to get him out and distress him anymore than he already is.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Edited by - Scarlett on 20/06/2010 15:27:31
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  15:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he is visually losing weight overnight i would really try and get him to a vet tomorrow, as someone said on TRP most Vets will let you pay the bill off in installments.

Sorry im not sure i understand, is your corn and royal sharing a stat, also the pro timer is that a stat or or a timer for switching the heat on?

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  15:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I'll have to, but I'm also working tomorrow so it's awkward =/

Edit; I'm going to ask my dad to give me a lift there early in the morning, and we'll see what happens.

No no they each have a stat, they just have identical viv's. Sorry I got it completely wrong, it's a habistat.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Edited by - Scarlett on 20/06/2010 15:50:40
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  15:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are worried about the heat rising from the corns viv, can you move the royals viv and then get the temps up for the royal.

you could also try and seperate the vivs with polystyrene or something else to seperate the 2 vivs and then adjust the royals temps to suit.

Is there no one else could take your royal to the vets for you while you work.

good luck, i have my fingers crossed for you and the wee royal.

Edited by - gmac on 20/06/2010 15:55:23
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  15:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of moving his viv next to my corn's, I'll be able to hook up the heat bulb I bought for him too that way.

I think I may go before work, I don't start too early and I'll have to deal with the payments if it is one lump sum. Hopefully by tomorrow morning he'll still be alive and at the vets!

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  15:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope so too, let us know how you get on though. good luck Scarlett

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  15:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Gmac, your help's been well appreciated!

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  19:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just an update; Odin passed away in the last couple of hours. He's now buried beneath our willow tree, I'm distraught and can't help but blame myself, but at least he went quickly.

Thank you to everyone who helped me, it means alot.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  19:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah Scarlett im gutted, sorry for your loss. he did go quickly and you done what you could for him so head up girl.

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  19:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know, but I can't help but blame myself. I think I should've done things differently, I don't know how, but his life was in my hands and I failed him.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Edited by - Scarlett on 20/06/2010 20:31:15
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  20:36:21  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh Scarlett I am so sorry to hear about poor Odin. Please don't beat yourself up over this. From what I have read it has happened so quickly. It is easy with hindsight to say 'i should have done this or not done that', but that is exactly what it is - hindsight. We don't have the ability to talk to our animals or predict how quickly their health can change. We can only do your best. He had a good life with someone who truely cared for him and you should be proud of that.

RIP Odin

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  20:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you KD, words like that mean a lot. I know I loved him and wanted only the best, but it'll probably be a while before I stop beating myself up over it. He had an owner who cared for him very much, and was a happy little chap before this week. I only hope he was happy until the end, even though I'll never know.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  21:38:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww bless him :( it's not your fault.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  21:39:23  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear that,i have commented on trp

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  05:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Sarah, I am so sorry to hear about Odin. I havent commented before now as I know nothing of royals so couldnt be of any help....but you must not blame yourself (easy to type and hard to do, I know). What happened to him happened to quickly. He was unable to tell you what was going on so all you could go on was what you were seeing....you asked for help from those with experience and you did all you could. As Kd says, hindsight is a wonderful thing....but it doesnt change what has happened and even if you could go back there is nothing to show that the outcome would have been any different.

You loved Odin, you cared for him and you gave him a wonderful life....hang on to those thoughts rather than the ones of guilt and blame.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000