New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  22:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kasey is currently in a 3foot wooden viv and squidward is in one of those small plastic fauns. i want to move him to a viv soon but was wondering if it would be worth getting kasey a 4foot viv and putting squidward in the 3foot or would they both be ok in a 3foot?squidward is 2foot and kasey is 2 1/2 foot.is a 3foot ok for a fully grown snake (i know i have a while to go before they get there)or do i need to get them both a 4foot eventually?i asked the guy at the rep shop and he said they'd need a 4foot but i dont really trust him as he's always tryin to make a sale rather than give good advice about snake keeping.any opinion would be much appreciated. i want them to have enough space but dont want to buy a bigger viv if its not necessary

kaseysquidward

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  22:43:19  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
3ft is normally big enough for the average sized adult as long as they come out for exercise on a regular basis.
There is a rough guide regarding the length of the snake to the size of viv. I'm afraid my brain's on strike and won't let me remember it! I'm sure somebody brighter than I can help with that one.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  22:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one way i was told very rough and i might be corrected is the length plus the depth of the viv should be the same side as the lenght of the snake. so front and side lenghts added together should be snake. hope ya get what i mean. brain is mush

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  10:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't know i'm afraid, i've read usually a 3 foot viv for an average sized adult, but i'm sure i read somewhere 30", but 3 foor is 36" it must be hard to know what size to buy for the best, as they are always growing but get stressed in a cage that's too large, a cornsnake owner must spend lots of money on different size vivs as their baby grows up... i think i'll keep my snake in RUBs and keep upgrading their size til the snake slows down in growing, then i'll buy a viv...? i think i'd get a 36" vivarium when mine's an adult. That seems to be the normal advice? (Dunno though as i cant speak from experience).

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  18:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is the lenght by the width, so if you have a tank that is 3ft in lenght, 1 ft in depth and watever in height you can fit a 4ft corn in it. it all depends on the size of snake and how much you have, i will be buying monty and 4ft tank as i want to spoil him and give him lots of room, but he might only get to 4ft so in theory he would only need a 3ft x 1ft tank.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000