Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Argos vivarium info? does anybody have one?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  14:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi

been looking at these for a future home for my hatchling who is way too small for one of these, but i am trying to do some research for a future home for him.

how would i attach a light inside, is there and holes for leads, also, any holes for heatmat and thermostat cables please?

anyone got any pics? argos only have a picture of the front of the vivarium.

also, any ideas how light they are? i may be moving into a flat, and i can't carry heavy wooden vivs.

any info gratefully received, many thanks

Dee x x x and baby Haribo

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  14:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a link? If they are the ones I think they are, then I think they are rubbish.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  15:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah argos should stick to whats it used to.. I've seen the 'thermostats', rubbish, just a typical electrical mishap that probably has more hope burning your reptile than an unstatted heatmat does, IMHO.

I've had quotes for £60-80 from reputable vivarium builders near me, shop quality viv's compared to Argos' overpriced, cheaply made rubbish.

Edited by - hillzi on 12/06/2010 15:46:18
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  15:47:19  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A wooden viv really isn't that heavy. A glass aquarium might well be heavier! I'd make sure before I buy one.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  16:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And glass viv's are notorious for temp fluctuations and, say will heat up very quickly if in sunlight.

If you order a flat pack viv, theyr'e less awkward to carry.

Edited by - hillzi on 12/06/2010 16:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  18:36:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They look like they have slanted fronts...

There's a review here: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8620475/Trail/searchtext%3EVIVARIUM.htm

I wonder how strong plastic they are made from? For the money though I would just buy a nomral wooden viv. You can get them flat packed or ready made.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  18:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats the ones.

They arnt strong. They wont break, but they will bow in the centre of the front and directly in the middle of the top.

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  21:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small one similar to that and I have more problems with temps than with the Wooden vivs.
I only have it because it came with tango when I collected him.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  10:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for your replies. i dont know what to get, because i will want a 3ft vivarium when Haribo grows into a man-snake and i have difficulty carrying a 2ft viv on my own that i have bought for my leopard gecko, i know i won't be able to lift a 3footer on my ownsome, and i just know i'm going to be moving in the next year or so because i'm never happy staying in one place for long, sorry sounding like a weirdo now lol, but what other vivs are there that are lightweight and any good for a snake please?

Go to Top of Page

mrsT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
186 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  10:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you ordered one on-line and had it delivered then the delivery driver would carry it up to your flat

1 carolina corn - Jake

1 hypo lavender - Kane
1 xb dog - Zak

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  14:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its made by penine Ive got a 2ft one which house's my corn at the moment and personally I havent had any problems with it bowing.
I find easy to clean and it retains the temps great think they only bow with too much heat so I use a energy saving bulb in mine.
Im using a heat mat which ive placed inside easy enough to fit just a case of heating a a small screw driver up and melting the plastic large enough to pass the wire through.
All my cables are cabled tied down using this method keeps it nice and neat
How big is snakey ?
You could convert a RUB which are cheap as chips you should be able to get a decent one for under £10 from your local diy store, I currently house my Royal Python in rub which cost me a fiver ive drilled air holes around the side and put a guarded energy saving bulb for lighting in snakey loves it
For got to mention my royal will be going into the 2ft pennine when ive got a bigger viv for sid

Edited by - n/a on 13/06/2010 14:42:06
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

143 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  18:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toggsy

Its made by penine Ive got a 2ft one which house's my corn at the moment and personally I havent had any problems with it bowing.
I find easy to clean and it retains the temps great think they only bow with too much heat so I use a energy saving bulb in mine.
Im using a heat mat which ive placed inside easy enough to fit just a case of heating a a small screw driver up and melting the plastic large enough to pass the wire through.
All my cables are cabled tied down using this method keeps it nice and neat
How big is snakey ?
You could convert a RUB which are cheap as chips you should be able to get a decent one for under £10 from your local diy store, I currently house my Royal Python in rub which cost me a fiver ive drilled air holes around the side and put a guarded energy saving bulb for lighting in snakey loves it
For got to mention my royal will be going into the 2ft pennine when ive got a bigger viv for sid

my little one is only about 18" long, a little hatchling boy. was thinking for the future when he's a big boy. this would be perfect as it seems light weight, i'd only want a heat mat in it with a thermostat to regulate the heat, and a bulb of some sort so i could view him playing. i'd get a 3ft. do you think there is any chance of an adult escaping if i get a lock for the sliding doors?

thanks,

dee and Haribo x x x x x

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  18:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
u could buy a flat pack one and build it were you wnat the viv to go

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

80 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  19:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the price that Argos is charging you could make your own just as cheaply plus you could make it to your own specs to fit into what ever space you will have its very easy to make one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000