Attitude
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  21:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok.... having a few problems with little sid .... he has been aggressive for the past few weeks we noticed he was getting really dull and put it down to the fact that he was coming up for a shed however the shed has been and gone (came out nice and clean nothing retained) but he still has a major attitude with us and has started striking out even before the viv door is opened...... we have tried to shrug it off and continued to try to handle him but he wont back down and is acting more like a cobra than a corn snake...... any advise much appreciated x

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  22:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all i can suggest is to persevere, not much help i know but he may be just a bit grumpy at the moment.maybe once he realises you wont back down he'll give up. hope he calms down soon, i know its not much fun having a snappy snakie!

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  09:56:52  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Agreed. He he be doing the 'teenager' thing and pushing the boundaries.

What are the temps at both ends? what's his set up like?

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  03:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear Lucy, it does sound as though Sid is being a bit of a handful at the moment. You should certainly check out his set-up, make sure the temps are ok and that there is nothing that could be stressing him out.

I know that when I first got Silvesta (who was virtually unhandlable due to his previous owner) I treated him as a hatchling to get him used to being held and handled, and it worked. But when I went away for a week he reverted back to how he was before. I also noticed that he would regress slightly if I went a couple of days without handling him. I guess that may be what has happened with little Sid....the period he was left while he was blue has meant he has 'forgotten' that you are not a threat?? I really dont know but am just trying to think of anything that might have changed his attitude.

I would suggest you go back to the beginning with him and the most important thing is that you dont let him make you nervous as he will feel it - you need to be calm and confident, no matter how much he is striking....easy to type and hard to do I know.

This thread may help remind you on how to deal with him, just go back to the start again and take it slow - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8735

Let us know how you get on. It may just be, as amanda said, that he is a bit grumpy and will come out of it....or you will just have to wait him out until you can convince him that you are not something he needs to be scared of.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  08:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers guys..... as far as his set up goes temps are bang on he has 2 hides (one warm one cold (not cold cold but u know what i mean )) he has his water dish and his fake plants .... i had an idea for him to get used to my smell.... when u get a puppy u give the a t-shirt u have worn to help them settle well i was thinking about wearing a sock on my hand then inserting a toilet roll tube inside it so it becomes rigid (so he wont do anything daft with it) and putting it in his viv as another hide that way he associates my hand with the smell of his safe new hide .... what do u think ???? could this work ??? x x x

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  08:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emma81louise

.......i was thinking about wearing a sock on my hand then inserting a toilet roll tube inside it so it becomes rigid (so he wont do anything daft with it) and putting it in his viv as another hide that way he associates my hand with the smell of his safe new hide .... what do u think ???? could this work ??? x x x

His set-up sounds good Lucy and I like your idea. You could always just stuff the sock down your bra for a day to get your smell. I definitely like the idea of you putting a toilet roll inside of it, I know other forum members have put pieces of their clothing in and I have wondered about the snake trying to work its way through the weaving or even trying to eat it....you never know....but your idea prevents anything like that happening. It is definitely worth a try.

And, as I said, just be patient and calm....a case of quality not quantity. Little Sid will settle, it just takes time and you mustnt expect too much too quick.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  09:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well in that case im going to stuff my bra lol.... i will get this plan in action today and see how it goes with him and keep u all posted .... thanks for all the replies x x

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  11:53:26  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it helps twilight has just shed and she was a lil grumpy before hand and she still hasnt calmed down yet either... but lol i think she is either hungry or just trying me out (again) but she will soon work out that i always win and she will soon calm down :D
so hopefully thats the same with your lil snakie :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  20:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope people read Kellogs post before your last one Emma81Louise as some people might get the wrong idea!!!! ha ha
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  22:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

well in that case im going to stuff my bra lol.... i will get this plan in action today and see how it goes with him and keep u all posted .... thanks for all the replies x x

One very important piece of info here, make sure you stuff both sides otherwise you might some very strange looks!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  15:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol.... strange looks are the last thing on my mind at the moment but advice taken lol x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2010 :  20:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok sock hide is in and he has been in it..... i sat with my hand in the viv last night for about 10 mins and sid completely avoided me but as soon as colin did the same he made a bee line for him ready to strike xxxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  03:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok sock hide is in and he has been in it..... i sat with my hand in the viv last night for about 10 mins and sid completely avoided me but as soon as colin did the same he made a bee line for him ready to strike xxxx

That is really interesting to hear Lucy. Am glad that little Sid was happy for you to sit with your hand in the viv and didnt come close to striking at it....but it does look as though the sock thing has made a difference, good to hear proof of it.

One thing though, you do need to bite the bullet and get him out and handle him regularly (except for the 48hrs after his feed of course), not just sit with your hand in the viv. I know you are just wanting to give him time to get used to you and your hand....but the best thing is to actually keep getting him out, no matter how he behaves. You have made a good start with the sock....now you need to move on from there to getting him out and handling him again, calmly and gently and confidently (no matter how nervous you may feel).

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

45 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  07:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks kellog.... its feed night tonight but once the 48 hours are up its bullet biting time lol x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000