Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  09:18:11  Show Profile
So the little fella was out this morning and boy could he move fast! He is a snow so really pink at the moment and he does look awfully small - smaller than I expected - is that a problem? I did notice that his belly has a dark patch on it and I'm worried when I picked him up I could have bruised him, or can you just see their poop when they are that young and that pale?

P.S. How on earth is something that small going to manage a pinky!

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  09:18:11  Show Profile
So the little fella was out this morning and boy could he move fast! He is a snow so really pink at the moment and he does look awfully small - smaller than I expected - is that a problem? I did notice that his belly has a dark patch on it and I'm worried when I picked him up I could have bruised him, or can you just see their poop when they are that young and that pale?

P.S. How on earth is something that small going to manage a pinky!

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:14:32  Show Profile
well they've been managing for long enough with similar sized prey so your snake should be fine.

How about a pic next to a pinky for size comparison ?

it's hard to imagine the size of a snake, much easier to judge in a pic.

you'll be able to sort of see through the thin pale skin/scales when the snake is young yes.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:14:32  Show Profile
well they've been managing for long enough with similar sized prey so your snake should be fine.

How about a pic next to a pinky for size comparison ?

it's hard to imagine the size of a snake, much easier to judge in a pic.

you'll be able to sort of see through the thin pale skin/scales when the snake is young yes.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:22:03  Show Profile
wow, this is fascinating. How big is a hatchling snake? It sounds soooo tiny!! I ask because I know when I finally get a snake I won't be able to resist getting another and babies are likely to ensue one day..! lol :D

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

259 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:22:03  Show Profile
wow, this is fascinating. How big is a hatchling snake? It sounds soooo tiny!! I ask because I know when I finally get a snake I won't be able to resist getting another and babies are likely to ensue one day..! lol :D

1.0.0 miami x crimson corn snake (sirius)
0.2.0 leopard geckos (esma and gytha)
2.0.0 emperor scorpions (bebe and jim)
2.0.0 moggies (othello and tachikoma)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:27:15  Show Profile
I can't take a pic right now but it is as thin as a shoe lace at its thickest point. It also has what looks like a bloody ambilical attached to it but I couldn't get a good enough look as the fella bit me - takes after his mother! If the egg still has yolk in it should I put it in his tub with him or if he was out and wriggling about, does that mean he wouldn't be eating anymore?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:27:15  Show Profile
I can't take a pic right now but it is as thin as a shoe lace at its thickest point. It also has what looks like a bloody ambilical attached to it but I couldn't get a good enough look as the fella bit me - takes after his mother! If the egg still has yolk in it should I put it in his tub with him or if he was out and wriggling about, does that mean he wouldn't be eating anymore?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:33:47  Show Profile
the snake would have absorbed everything now so throw the egg if the snake has left the egg, assuming that you have already removed it from the incubater ?

that red bit will mot likely shrivel up & fall off, well you wont even notice it.

If this is a fresh hatchling then leave it a week or so as it will feed of it's remains of the yolk sack it's absorbed already & will need to shed first. Then once the snake has shed in 7-10 days then try to offer its first meal. It may not eat though so don't panic it's quite normal. Just try every few days so as not to stress the new hatchling or it will never eat lol. otherwise a single pinky wil be fine & hopefully if it takes its first meal easily with out regurge then it won't be long before it'll be eating 2 pinkys.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  10:33:47  Show Profile
the snake would have absorbed everything now so throw the egg if the snake has left the egg, assuming that you have already removed it from the incubater ?

that red bit will mot likely shrivel up & fall off, well you wont even notice it.

If this is a fresh hatchling then leave it a week or so as it will feed of it's remains of the yolk sack it's absorbed already & will need to shed first. Then once the snake has shed in 7-10 days then try to offer its first meal. It may not eat though so don't panic it's quite normal. Just try every few days so as not to stress the new hatchling or it will never eat lol. otherwise a single pinky wil be fine & hopefully if it takes its first meal easily with out regurge then it won't be long before it'll be eating 2 pinkys.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  11:15:30  Show Profile
Thanks so much MoneyMaker. One last question - when can it move into the small viv with grid whole on the top?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  11:15:30  Show Profile
Thanks so much MoneyMaker. One last question - when can it move into the small viv with grid whole on the top?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  11:25:52  Show Profile
do you mean a critter cage ?

clear plastic with rounded corners. They have different coloured lids with a clear flap. the grid (?) is that the plastic lid ?

probably best to wait until the snake is about 2 months old at least, but it's up to you. I usually waited until mine were feeding on fuzzies & growing well also. It will also depend on the size of the critter cage too.

Mine were roughly 6" x 9" & 9" x 12" I say roughly as I have not actually measured them but those are the rough sizes.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  11:25:52  Show Profile
do you mean a critter cage ?

clear plastic with rounded corners. They have different coloured lids with a clear flap. the grid (?) is that the plastic lid ?

probably best to wait until the snake is about 2 months old at least, but it's up to you. I usually waited until mine were feeding on fuzzies & growing well also. It will also depend on the size of the critter cage too.

Mine were roughly 6" x 9" & 9" x 12" I say roughly as I have not actually measured them but those are the rough sizes.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  11:44:23  Show Profile
http://www.snakepictures.co.uk/images/small_snake_vivarium.jpg

this is what the viv looks like, but I got the pic off of google so its not mine.

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  11:44:23  Show Profile
http://www.snakepictures.co.uk/images/small_snake_vivarium.jpg

this is what the viv looks like, but I got the pic off of google so its not mine.

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  12:13:57  Show Profile
yeah I would wait until the snake has noticably grown & feeding regular on fuzzys, by that time the snake could be around the 2 month + mark & would feel more secure in that size critter cage.

That would probably suit the snake for most of its first year of life & they are so easy to clean.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  12:13:57  Show Profile
yeah I would wait until the snake has noticably grown & feeding regular on fuzzys, by that time the snake could be around the 2 month + mark & would feel more secure in that size critter cage.

That would probably suit the snake for most of its first year of life & they are so easy to clean.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  13:22:52  Show Profile
How are these new ones going to be travelling for 4 hours whilst we move?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  13:22:52  Show Profile
How are these new ones going to be travelling for 4 hours whilst we move?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: