Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:54:38  Show Profile
So... I had no idea that a female laid two batches of eggs! Anyway, they are smalles and although white, they have goose bumps all over them. I haven't candled them yet as she is sitting on them and I don't want to move her just yet.

I can't remember who I emailed regarding an incubator, but it never arrived so can you email me if you didn't send it.

Moving house on Saturday and have 5 eggs that are due anytime - if they're alive, and now this. What wonderful timing!

Anery Motley F: Callisto
Snow M: Europa
Carolina Reverse Okeetee F: Io
Anery Motley F: Kinky
Snow F: Maite

22 Naughty Hatchlings

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:00:14  Show Profile
Just got a babe but its head is out and it looks lifeless and isn't moving - is that normal! I am seriously crapping myself tonight!!! Anyway how to I house it and when does it need to eat.

PLEASE PLEASE REPLY - ANYONE!!!

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:00:14  Show Profile
Just got a babe but its head is out and it looks lifeless and isn't moving - is that normal! I am seriously crapping myself tonight!!! Anyway how to I house it and when does it need to eat.

PLEASE PLEASE REPLY - ANYONE!!!

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Read somewhere on the forum they normally soak up the contents of the egg sack before they come out - but don't know about not moving - best thing is to wait until it decides to come out (if it is okay that is)
Saddleninja or Money Maker may be able to tell you more. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help!

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Lewy
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
2874 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Lewy's Homepage  Click to see Lewy's MSN Messenger address
Read somewhere on the forum they normally soak up the contents of the egg sack before they come out - but don't know about not moving - best thing is to wait until it decides to come out (if it is okay that is)
Saddleninja or Money Maker may be able to tell you more. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help!

Lewy

THE CORN SNAKE.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:41:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
plastic tubs like the ones you get from chinese takeaways are ok (CLEAN!!!), pierce some air holes (small!), piece of kitchen roll/paper towel in the bottom for substrate, plastic milk bottle top for a water bowl, same with a hole cut out of the side for a hide. HEAT MAT/CABLE.
the hatchlings should shed within a week of hatching then can be offered their first pinky.
as for the one you've described tipsy, they should still react to stimuli - like moving back inside the egg if you put your hand over it - but it could just be gettting used to breathing air and getting it's strength up for getting out of the egg.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:41:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
plastic tubs like the ones you get from chinese takeaways are ok (CLEAN!!!), pierce some air holes (small!), piece of kitchen roll/paper towel in the bottom for substrate, plastic milk bottle top for a water bowl, same with a hole cut out of the side for a hide. HEAT MAT/CABLE.
the hatchlings should shed within a week of hatching then can be offered their first pinky.
as for the one you've described tipsy, they should still react to stimuli - like moving back inside the egg if you put your hand over it - but it could just be gettting used to breathing air and getting it's strength up for getting out of the egg.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:48:20  Show Profile
Thanks guys. It's alive, but I'm worried about mama who has just laid - when can I feed the mother as she was thin even before she lay?! And what about these goose bump eggs - are they duds? They were very cold when I picked them up, but I have got them in substrate and am following the normal guidlines.

When can the hatchling get moved to a proper viv? I have the type that has grid like vents all over the top of it and when I bought my first snakes at about 2 months old they were in that.

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:48:20  Show Profile
Thanks guys. It's alive, but I'm worried about mama who has just laid - when can I feed the mother as she was thin even before she lay?! And what about these goose bump eggs - are they duds? They were very cold when I picked them up, but I have got them in substrate and am following the normal guidlines.

When can the hatchling get moved to a proper viv? I have the type that has grid like vents all over the top of it and when I bought my first snakes at about 2 months old they were in that.

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:51:59  Show Profile
The hatchlings will be fine for a day or two in the incubater so leave the hatchling to come out of the egg when it's ready to explore.

It's had an exhausting time making slits in the egg then taking its first lungful of air. It now has to adjust to its new surroundings & absorb what's left of is yolk sac.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:51:59  Show Profile
The hatchlings will be fine for a day or two in the incubater so leave the hatchling to come out of the egg when it's ready to explore.

It's had an exhausting time making slits in the egg then taking its first lungful of air. It now has to adjust to its new surroundings & absorb what's left of is yolk sac.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:57:14  Show Profile
feed mum whenever you're ready to, probably best to wait til tomorrow if she's laid (again?) today.....

dud looking eggs can still hatch.

try cricket tubs for the hatchling corns to live in.

kitchen towel substrate & they'll hide under it so no real need for a hide, plus keep them somewhere dim & away from too much noise.

milk bottle top (or similar) for water dish.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:57:14  Show Profile
feed mum whenever you're ready to, probably best to wait til tomorrow if she's laid (again?) today.....

dud looking eggs can still hatch.

try cricket tubs for the hatchling corns to live in.

kitchen towel substrate & they'll hide under it so no real need for a hide, plus keep them somewhere dim & away from too much noise.

milk bottle top (or similar) for water dish.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  22:04:39  Show Profile
Thanks Money Maker. I take it they can't live in a miny version of an adult viv i.e. chinese tub but with bark and bed and half of it on a heat mat?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  22:04:39  Show Profile
Thanks Money Maker. I take it they can't live in a miny version of an adult viv i.e. chinese tub but with bark and bed and half of it on a heat mat?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  22:24:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ideally if you've got more than one hatchling they should be housed separately, too big a viv/tub will make them feel vulnerable, kitchen towel is much easier to use in tubs/RUBs/faunariums and it allows you to record when they pooped.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  22:24:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ideally if you've got more than one hatchling they should be housed separately, too big a viv/tub will make them feel vulnerable, kitchen towel is much easier to use in tubs/RUBs/faunariums and it allows you to record when they pooped.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  23:29:10  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
like MM said use a cricket tub with some kitchen towel on the bottom and use a milk carton top for water, place just on a heat mat and that should be fine, after around 7 days they should shed and then try a pinkie, good luck

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  23:29:10  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
like MM said use a cricket tub with some kitchen towel on the bottom and use a milk carton top for water, place just on a heat mat and that should be fine, after around 7 days they should shed and then try a pinkie, good luck

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  08:59:59  Show Profile
and what age can they be moved to a small viv and should the cricket tub sit completely on the heat mat or just a tird of it?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

156 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  08:59:59  Show Profile
and what age can they be moved to a small viv and should the cricket tub sit completely on the heat mat or just a tird of it?

22 Naughty Hatchlings

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: