4428 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  18:12:58  Show Profile
Also there really nice and friendly

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  18:37:20  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Although I like cats I also believe the phrase 'Dogs have owners, cats have servants'.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  18:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
What do snakes have then?

I think I'm part toilet attendant, part cleaner, part climbing frame

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  19:01:39  Show Profile
I thought the egyptians were scared of cats? At least that's what the mummy has lead me to believe, hmmm maybe i shouldn't take things like that as gospel.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  19:04:37  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
They probably were, they worshipped them so would have feared them as well as honoured them.

Bit daft really, cats are pants! The crocodile god looks quite cool though

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:27:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peanuts

I thought the egyptians were scared of cats? At least that's what the mummy has lead me to believe, hmmm maybe i shouldn't take things like that as gospel.

They were meant to be guards of the underworld or something ( also taken from the Mummy films)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:29:08  Show Profile
quote:

lol, don't get me wrong i wouldn't kill anything either, even spiders, as much as i really want to some times just to make them go away! cat's aren't that bad.. they only bring you these lovely gifts because they love you :P

Sorry when cats do this thay aint bringing you presents they are just finding a safe/quiet place to leave them until they want to eat them!!
I have a nasty cat that raids nests!!! and who likes to line dead mice down the back garden path!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:29:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Although I like cats I also believe the phrase 'Dogs have owners, cats have servants'.

Thats right lol you dont own a cat they own you!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:30:27  Show Profile
Finally, I think that amendment No. 99 is an attempt to exempt the feeding of live vertebrate prey to other animals; if I am mistaken I will end my comments there. This issue has been raised by some people. Most captive-bred carnivorous predators would accept meat or carcases as their diet. Some people have suggested to us that there may be occasions on which it is necessary to feed live vertebrates to predators—for example, when predatory animals refuse all alternatives. I understand that that specifically relates to the feeding of live rodents to snakes.

Although I understand that it may on rare occasions be considered necessary to feed a live vertebrate to a predator to encourage it to eat, the Government believe that the Bill provides the necessary balance for the courts to decide whether an offence of suffering or poor welfare has been committed. The practice of feeding animals in that way is not something that the Government wish to condone, and in fact I believe that it is extremely rare. But we would not wish to offer a blanket exemption to the practice, as it could be used as a loophole to cause suffering.

The offences in the Bill are drafted in such a way that where suffering is inflicted on a live vertebrate by feeding to a predator, the court can take that circumstance into account. It could be a ''legitimate purpose'' under subsection (3) or a circumstance to which the courts would have regard in determining whether reasonable steps were taken to meet the animal's welfare needs under clause 8(1). On that basis, I urge hon. Members not to press their amendments.

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:38:56  Show Profile
it is not illegal to feed live prey in England? as long as all other methards have been tried and you do not cores unnecessary suffering

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:41:26  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
There's a whole sticky thread about live feeding on the other place, there are guidlines to follow to ensure the live prey does not suffer unneccesarily, whilst also safeguarding the welfare of the snake.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:51:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Beenie

quote:

lol, don't get me wrong i wouldn't kill anything either, even spiders, as much as i really want to some times just to make them go away! cat's aren't that bad.. they only bring you these lovely gifts because they love you :P

Sorry when cats do this thay aint bringing you presents they are just finding a safe/quiet place to leave them until they want to eat them!!
I have a nasty cat that raids nests!!! and who likes to line dead mice down the back garden path!!!

Well that'll teach me to believe everything i'm told, i stand corrected. So really there is just no excuse for their mean mouse and bird assasinations!

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:

I've always thought that cats see us pitiful humans as warm blooded furniture.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  20:59:41  Show Profile
While UK snake keepers do not condone the feeding of live vertebrates to snakes, there are rare occasions especially with hatchlings and newly captive specimens where only a live vertebrate will be accepted as food. This always leaves the keeper with the dilemma of either feeding live or allowing the snake to starve to death. As far as Ark Group can determine, this practice is currently legal so long as not practised in a public place. There has always been confusion over the legality of this practice as no regulation directly relating to this has ever been decreed. Many millions of rodents are destroyed every year by break back traps and poison, compared to these methods the kill by a snake is swift and efficient.

Ark Group would like to see Defra clarify the situation regarding the feeding of live vertebrates to other vertebrates when no alternative exists, setting out clear indications of the circumstances under which this practice can legally take place.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:18:14  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well that'll teach me to believe everything i'm told, i stand corrected. So really there is just no excuse for their mean mouse and bird assasinations!

Nope they are just evil lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2008 :  21:19:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

I've always thought that cats see us pitiful humans as warm blooded furniture.

That as well ha ha our cat is a tart it goes to at least 6 other houses i know of to be fed!!!! one of our neighbours buys it Tuna steaks!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  11:09:11  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
Im guessing the main issue (besides mousey suffering etc) is that once on live its usually all they will take. This is an issue when the mice needed re adult size and can cause serious harm to the snake with its teeth.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2008 :  19:00:32  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
my neighbours cat kept crapping in my garden so i squirted if with jiff lemon, now it stays away

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

193 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  09:27:27  Show Profile
ok so i have a 08 corn that has not eaten for 6 week tried all else so if i don't feed live i let it starve to death? what would it do in the wild wight for some one to come force feed? or eat live

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2008 :  09:44:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
where are you? if you're yorkshire based I could take it for a few weeks to try and get it going or come over to you to try an assist feed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000