damp hides
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  12:14:08  Show Profile
Do any of you have damp hides as a permanent fixture in your vivs or just put them in for shedding purposes, and who uses what, moss? papertowel?
Just curious to see what you guys do, when I first got snape we got moss with the cave so I put this in straight away, but I then read somewhere that to keep moss in permanently can cause skin problems for the snake, so I took it out, and I have been using damp paper towel when in shed mode now.

Some of you know what i'm like when I read something (bottled water BE)so I think I would like to go on your experiances this time!

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  12:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I don't for my corns, they don't really need one. Damp hides are mainly for creating humidity and generally only snakes from really warm regions need this.

I had one for my royal, but the humidity became too high. Even Royals only need 50%-60% humidity, so that's not hard to keep up if you've got a large water bowl in there.

I wouldn't recommend one all the time for corns, they would be more prown to respiratory disorders as well as skin problems if their vivs are too damp.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  12:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
P.s If I was to have a damp hide I'd use moss, rather than paper towels.

I have moss in my corn vivs, but it's dry and is more for hiding purposes than hydrating.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  12:20:39  Show Profile
thanks for that kaz, do you put anything in when your corns are in shed if yes what do you use?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  12:21:27  Show Profile
posted that a bit late!! cheers you obviously read my mind!!
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  12:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Not really, they've all got massive water bowls so they can soak if they want to. The corns have never had a problem with shedding really.

A few times my Mexican Black has looked like she's had a bad time of it, so I've actually intervened and put her in a warm bath to help her shed.

I have also sprayed the tank of my royal when she's been close to shed, just to raise the humidity a bit.

I would probably do the same for the corns if I had one that looked like they needed a bit of assistance. Hopefully, I'll never need to

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  12:37:08  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Have never put a damp hide in with my Corn, however, do have a moss hide for my Royal.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Leyrielton2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1060 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  13:21:17  Show Profile  Click to see Leyrielton2's MSN Messenger address
Ive never put damp hide either, dont think theres much point to be honest

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  17:58:38  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
only use one for my royals too

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  18:13:53  Show Profile
Peanuts used to have a really hard time shedding, shedding in at least 5 pieces each time so we started putting damp spaghum moss in one of her hids when we noticed her in pre shed and ever since he's been shedding in one piece fine but we always take it out after he's shed. Hope that helps. :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

306 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  18:21:38  Show Profile
thanks everyone for your replies, I have only ever used a damp hide while in shed so I don't know if he would have trouble or not, do you think I should continue doing this or try him without and see how he sheds?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  18:42:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You'll not do him any harm, but you could try without.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  20:34:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I DO have a damp hide in permanently for Birch and Spruce, and use Vermiculite in it. As they have a couple of hides available at either end of the viv they use it if they want and not if they don't as they have alternatives.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  20:45:40  Show Profile
i have a damp hide with vermiculite in, i leave it in all the time then they have a the choice whether to use it not

Go to Top of Page

Ell
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  11:52:30  Show Profile  Click to see Ell's MSN Messenger address
I don't have a damp hide, I just give Dusk a bath when his eyes clear before his shed and that has worked fine so far.

1.0.0 Normal corn snake - Dusk
0.1.0 Strawberry Snow Stripe corn snake - Dawn
0.1.0 Harlequin Crested Gecko - Stickles
1.0.0 Sable Syrian Hamster - CoCo
0.1.0 Hognose snake - Truffles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000