a little advice?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  00:15:10  Show Profile
hey, had my corn snake for about 5 months now. he's around 8 months old and everything is going fine i.e shedding and feeding. but he's still very cautious of me and, although is fine when ive actually got him out, he tries to get away from me when i initially pick him up, and as soon as i put him back in he gets out of sight as quick as he can.
is this normal behaviour?
and is there something i can do to get him more relaxed with me?

cheers

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  00:33:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hello and welcome to the forum. This isn't unusual behaviour and the only advice I could give is to persevere, he'll get used to you. If you're struggling to get him out of the viv you could try leaving the door open until he comes out by himself.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  10:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
It sounds like he's just shy, just keep trying- he'll get used to you from regular handling.

I've heard some people have put some old socks or gloves in their vivs so that the snake can get used to your scent. Try that, it can't hurt

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  11:44:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
It would hurt the snake if it was one of yours!

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  11:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
It wouldn't, I'm a girl! Girl's don't smell and neither do their socks.

Not like dirty boy socks that get left on the bedroom floor for weeks, after already been worn day-in, day out for a month anyway.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  13:22:35  Show Profile
cool, thanks for the advice, ill try the sock thing and leaving the viv open (with me nearby of course) to see if he comes and investigates,
cheers
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  14:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Just don't forget to shut it again when yo go to bed. I've nearly done that a few times with Cornelius. He's so slow to come out and it's easy to get distracted

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  16:39:04  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
Does that actually work because today my snake was really wierd when i took him out. he peed on me :( and kept flinchin and tryin to get away.

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  16:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I've never needed to try it, but 'm sure it would help.

Maybe yours was just spooked by something today. Have you been using anything different? New soap? Or eating something strong smelling like garlic? Sometimes it's the smell that they don't like.

If he wee'd on you, then it's one of two things- he's either trying to make you smell like him- marking his territory type thing, Or he's just really, really scared.

Just keep an eye on him and see if he calms down a bit.

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  16:48:35  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
oh right. well i think my sister was annoying him before i took him out because i went in and one of his hides was tipped over and one of his thermometers was smashed and the other had fallen down. could be that. well hes lying under a rock now so ill just keep checking on him.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  16:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Think that would be it, they don't like any aggravation at all, so if his viv has been messed with it would make him nervous.

Hopefully, he'll have calmed down now.

Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  16:54:40  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address
yea well he seems o.k now. I checked on him and hes just...staring. Plotting his revenge.. hes fine :D anyway gpsmith26 i would keep handling your snake and he might get used to you eventually

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  17:57:21  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
hi and welcome to the site, give it time, they do settle down more the older they get

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic