Food Amounts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  16:46:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Read this earlier and thought I'd share/see people's thoughts:

'According to a very interesting book I'm reading now from the AVS series, which is by John & Roxanne Rossi, snakes should consume 2-4 times their body weight in a year. That being inactive at the bottom consuming twice their weight, with active consuming four times. Obviously it's hard to measure though if your snake is growing at a fast rate, and has not reached maturity.

Generally, inactive snakes weighing 450 grams (approx 1lb) would require 900g of mice per year. That's approximately 18 large adult mice (averagely weighing 50g each) to maintain a snake, which excludes food needed for growth and reproduction. This assumes an eight month period of activity, and four months of brumation, which translates into one mouse every fortnight. If you don't brumate, it's about 27 mice per year, which is still about every fortnight. For the most active of snakes, 54 mice per year, which is about once per week.

A 450g snake uses 5.5kcal per day - a large adult mouse contains about 85kcal - so once per fortnight. A 300g uses about 3.67 calories per day, which works out at about every 9-10 days, assuming a 300g snake has a smaller girth and is being fed 30g mice.
'

What do you think?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  19:17:08  Show Profile
Are you quoting from what has been written in a book ?

If so then it's unlikely they would have printed misleading or false information.
Is that what you mean ?

Otherwise very interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  19:20:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm quoting what someone else has quoted/paraphrased from a book. I think its quite interesting and useful.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  21:42:39  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i read something along those lines before somewhere else

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2008 :  22:36:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Obviously difficult for growing snakes, but useful for adults.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  17:41:22  Show Profile
i find feeding a very interesting subject with every one having there own oppinion and advice, and no real wrong answer.

for instance;

*how often to feed
*multiple mice
*wen to move up in size
*where to feed (in viv or not)
etc.

Edited by - dazb on 29/07/2008 17:42:48
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  17:50:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Have you come to any conclusions, or just questions?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000