Feeding - HELP!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  10:49:58  Show Profile
Hi I hope someone out there can help me. We purchased a baby corn snake about 3 weeks ago and another a few days later. When the first one (Silas) was due a feed he took it well but overnight regurgitated it, however we weren't too concerned as we understand this can happen during the 'settling in' period. When it came time for our second snake (Indy) to feed he was not interested at all! We contacted the place we bought them from who said to leave it a week and try again - but now we are getting very concerned as it has been 3 weeks and they still show no interest whatsoever in feeding. Please help!

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  12:12:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
What are the temperatures like in the viv, how do you regulate it? What have you tried feeding them? - Pinkies? - Brained?

I remember Wiggle going at least 3 weeks when I first got her, now she's a dustbin!

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  13:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Did the shop owner give you feeding records for the two snakes? If so, were they feeding fine before you got them?

If they were, then it probably is just the settling in process.
Just keep an eye on their weight, as long as they don't start losing weight, they should be aright.

In the meantime try non-feeding techniques like braining the pinkie or warming it up a little. Sometimes they are shy and will eat better if they are left in the dark in a small tub alone with the prey item.

Keep us posted!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  16:49:05  Show Profile
Hi - thanks for the responses. We use a heat mat under 1/3 of the tank, and the thermometer reads about 70 to 75 degrees in the middle of the tank. We've been trying to feed them pinkies slightly warmed up and have also tried leaving them alone in a small tub with the pinkies - all to no avail! They look healthy and active tho and Silas looks like he's starting to shed. Btw - whats 'brained'?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  17:51:10  Show Profile
Braining is when you crack open the scull of the mouse so the snake can smell the brains. yum yum!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  18:03:19  Show Profile
Yeuch!!! Do you think we should try braining, and how on earth do you go about it??
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  18:26:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If they were coming up to shed that may well have put them off their food too. I would put money on them eating when that's all over.

Pinkies have very soft skulls so just the tip of a sharp knife should easily slide in and release a little beautiful (to a snake) smelling fluid.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  18:27:45  Show Profile
Yummy!! Think that's my husbands job for tonight then lol
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  18:52:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Just like spiking a knife into a grape.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  18:58:04  Show Profile
yeah & it's very slippery & slimey if it gets on your fingers

the brain fluid....... (for lindsei's benefit)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  19:07:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, not the grape lindsei

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  19:12:43  Show Profile
ha ha you funny lot

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  20:29:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by mrsnoah

They look healthy and active tho and Silas looks like he's starting to shed.

quote:
Originally posted by mrsnoah

Yummy!! Think that's my husbands job for tonight then lol

If he's about to shed he may not be interested in food.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  21:23:45  Show Profile
I'm a new owner, had my corn snake about a month and its only the last two feeds that she seems to be feeding well. First settling in, then shedding, but now she takes two fuzzies quite happily. She won't strike feed though yet, so I left the two mice on a folded kitchen towel outside her hide, the drape a towel over her viv to give her some privacy. Half an hour later, both mice gone. My son was delighted, as he caught her retreating to her lair with the second mouse half out of her mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2008 :  22:40:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Wiggle never strikes, but is quite happy for people to watch her eat.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  09:22:22  Show Profile
Thanks for that everyone - failed miserably again to feed him last night (one is def shedding so not interested) - will try a towel over the viv tonight and see how that works.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2008 :  20:32:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Any progress Mrsnoah?

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2008 :  09:30:49  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
yes hows the feeding getting on?

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page