Brown/Black tail tip.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  00:11:37  Show Profile
Hi, we're new to this forum, hope we're going about it the right way.
Our snake Peanuts is about 50cm and 10 months old. About 2 and a half weeks ago she had her first complete shed unaided (previously she had to have some help, but we always ensured a complete shed) we noticed after her last shed that the last 2mm of her tail had gone a bit red and looked slightly sore. We kept it clean and kept a check on it, it isn't bothering her but has now gone a bit brown and we're starting to be abit worried any ideas? sorry that's such an essay. Thanks!

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  07:04:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If its going black then the chances are you missed a bit of the shed once and the blood supply was cut off. Eventually it will come off and your snake will have a blunt tail, should be no serious damage to his health though.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  07:37:55  Show Profile
Sounds like the humidity is low for when the snake is shedding. Sometimes a large water bowl is enough to produce the right levels of humidity aiding the snake in the shedding process, but sometimes they need daily spraying too. Not the snake lol the viv. Spray in the morning & the evening to raise the humidity levels. If you provide a humid hide box though with vermiculite or sphagnum moss then you shouldn't really need to spray.

When the skin goes necrotic & dies then it turns black, so just keep an eye on it. You can buy tamodine to treat an open wound, but it shouldn't bleed once the skin drops off & hopefully it will remain at the tip of the tail.

Another thing you may want to look out for is if the eye caps are shed with the skin. If they ever remain on the snakes eyes, where they haven't come off, then do not remove them. Leave them until the snake sheds again as it can be very dangerous if they are removed in the wrong way. The snake may be more jumpy with retaining the eye caps as it won't be able to see as well as before but like I said when it next sheds they should come off.

The humidity doesn't have to be high any other time as this will also cause problems, but just raise the humidity to aid the snake in shedding. In the wild the snake would naturally find somewhere with the ideal cinditions, but in a captive environment it has no choice other than what you provide.

Hope that helps
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  12:28:46  Show Profile
Thanks for all your help, i still have her shed and it does appear to be complete so i am not sure what has caused the tip to go black, thanks for the reassurance though and i will remember to spray the viv in future.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  16:37:01  Show Profile
Hows the tail ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  12:28:08  Show Profile
Hello again all, thanks for the curiosity moneymaker she seems quite happy the tail tip seems to be quite stable, it doesn't seem to be bothering her so we shall see what happens next shed, she's in her little eliment at the moment though as she has just moved on to fuzzies and moved onto beech chip substrate instead of kitchen roll so she's happy exploring! I will post some pics of her once i get this whole photo shop thing sorted! :)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  16:42:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thats good news, is it still discoloured?

When's the next shed due?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  17:10:46  Show Profile
It seems to be less brown now it's just gone kinda see through and just got brown specks where her pink pattern should be, her shed's are not the most predictable but she should shed in about a week we think, although she hasn't gone cloudy yet so who knows. We also want to get her sexed but the reptile shop we went too yesterday said it was cruel and unecessary so now we don't know what to do, we are looking to get another corn to go in with her but don't really want to untill we know what sex she is and her tail is completely better. Thanks for all your help and curiosity guys.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  20:18:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Cruel and unnecessary? - Try another shop.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  20:24:30  Show Profile
cruel & un-necessary ?

in what way ?

sorry not having a go at you, but how does this shop think that the snakes they are selling were produced in the first place ? By just chucking two snakes together & hoping for the best lol ! Snakes are sexed so they can be bred for a start. Basically another shop with no idea how to do it most likely.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

433 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  20:59:42  Show Profile
Don't worrie didn't think you were having a go at meThe guy in the shop said that it was really easy to tell by just looking at them and that probing could leave them infertile, i did think that it was an odd thing to say but he was the most highly reccommended reptile shop in liverpool so i assumed he knew best and now don't know where to go to get it done. :S

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:16:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the guy obviously can't probe properly then.....
but then neither can I!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:39:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Bizarre thing to say.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:42:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Bizarre thing to say.

my previous post or the guy in the shop saying it was cruel and uneccessary??

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:50:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You're always bizarre, but in this case I meant the shop-keeper :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000