Snake shedding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  12:10:10  Show Profile
I have a young corn snake about 11 months old, she mamaged to escape and finally after being missing for nearly 6 weeks I found her hunting in my utility room where I keep my mice.

Anyway she has had a couple of feeds now of 2 pinkies and seems to be doing well but when we checked her today we noticed she is shedding but it seems to be taking a couple of days and is just coming off in small pieces is there anything I can do to help her on her way

n/a
deleted

481 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  12:20:21  Show Profile
If mine seem to be struggling shedding i give them a fine spray of water a few time a day and this seems to do the trick with mine :) you can also bath them or put a damp moss hide or damp kitchen paper in there hide for them

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

236 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  12:33:13  Show Profile
A moss hide worked great for ours. He shed his skin within an hour and all in one piece.

4.2.0 dogs
1.1.0 cats
25.8.34 bettas
2.2.0 corn
1.1.0 brb
1.0.0 teenager
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  15:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Just make sure it's all come off once she's finished too. If they get retained eyecaps or old skin that restricts blood flow then it can cause a lot of problems.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

173 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  18:56:08  Show Profile
the moss field hide sounds good good luck

corns de best

1 dog
1 rabbit
6 ginie pigs
lot of fish
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  10:54:10  Show Profile
well she still hasnt shed completly yet, the thing is she is always hiding under her newspaper, I have sprayed her house and even given her a little bath.

Also she ate pinkies last week and still has a bump down the middle, do you think this is mainly due to the fact that she escaped and has been missing for 6 weeks so is a bit run down.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  11:05:08  Show Profile
To be honest not shedding properly & not digesting food doesn't sound good, sorry.

Some corns which have problems with digesting food become abnormally bloated for days as if the food is still the same size as when the snake first swallowed it.

Maybe you should make an appointment with the vet ?

See how the snake goes over the next couple of days & watch for any other abnormal behaviour too.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  12:22:59  Show Profile
ok will keep a eye on her, how long at her age should, she is about 11 months old should it take to digest and shed, my other two corns are both about 3 years old and they shed fine in fact one last night shed in the nite this is the second one since we have had him and both time one complete shed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  15:30:53  Show Profile
The shedding problem could just be that it's too dry but normally a water bowl provides enough huimdty along with misting once or twice a day with water. Even with just a water dish the snake will bathe to help it to shed its skin. Not too sure why it would be having problems otherwise.

If the snake fed monday for example, by wednesday or thursday it should have pooed. Reading your posts was the snake fed on the 16th or 17th ? If it was see if the 'lump' has gone by tomorrow.

Hopefully it's just a one off & the snake will be back to normal after.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2008 :  17:20:13  Show Profile
she was last fed on the 12th June 2 pinkies, she has poopped since then but not much bigger than a bird poo. maybe as well it is because she is a snow motley so you can pretty much see inside her so its just me being paranoid.

I am just not used to the smaller snakes, both my others are older and have got both of them in a good routine can tell when they want feeding, due to shed etc.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  16:42:08  Show Profile
Is your snake feeding ok now ?

has she shed yet ?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  21:05:46  Show Profile
thanks for asking, yes she is eating fine she is on 2 pinkies every 5-7 days and checked her today and her eyes have clouded over so looks like she is getting ready to shed again all going well it will be a lot better this time.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  21:06:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Great news :)

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  21:41:01  Show Profile
Do you measure the shed skins to see how much your snake has grown ?

I used to do that with a few of mine, taking about 10% off the skin length.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  18:02:15  Show Profile
not managed to measure her yet, when we first got her she escaped for 6 weeks then when we got her back she had a bad shed all in pieces so I am hoping this shed will be complete so I can start measuring it.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  18:11:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
MM, why do you take ~10% off, does it stretch?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  18:13:56  Show Profile
yeah it stretches slightly & most people take off 10 to 15%.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2008 :  19:02:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Had never really thought about that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000