Heating in viv
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:06:12  Show Profile
Hi, im a bit worried about me wee lucy lol i have done exactly what the pet shop told me who is well known for there expertise (ritouls in bathgate) the viv is 3ft and have just a heat mat with the thermostate attached to the underneath set at 88f it doesnt feel hot which i assumed it would so got some thermometers today and put then on the glass they are both reading the same temp at each side she has been lyin on the heat mat so dont want to turn it up but not sure what to do should the thermostat be above not touchin the mat? he def said to stick it to it???

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:11:34  Show Profile
Hi there, I recently had a similar problem when I set my viv. up, The heat mat won't feel too hot, but also what type of substrate are you using? as too much can act as an insulator, also if you are using the dial type thermometer, I wouldn't take what they display as gospel, I decided to ditch the one that was supplied and get an l.c. display one.
Hope this helps, scott.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:14:51  Show Profile
Its just newspaper and there isnt too much on top of the mat the thermometer is saying its not even 15c at the hot end in fact both temps are the same at either end although the thermostats are meant for fish tanks they might not be acurate lol its a dial thermostat the pet shop gave me should it be attached to the mat?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

171 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:18:57  Show Profile
It could be that the thermostats are the wrong kind, if I were you I would think about changing your thermometer, there are lots on ebay. Sorry that I can't be any more help, just started myself, just letting you know from what happened to me.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:47:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
If its saying that its not 15C, how warm is the room you have the viv in?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:49:45  Show Profile
im not sure how warm the room is but she was next to the window just moved her against a wall that might make a difference? it is a wooden viv with glass sliding doors it has 4 wents in the back as well ive turned the thermostate up to 88f so temps moved up a bit but no were near what it should be at the hot end, ive ordered proper thermometers but bought them in pets at home was gettin a bit worried!
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  21:56:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm certain your house is warmer than 15C, the new thermometers will allay your fears I'm sure.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2008 :  22:06:37  Show Profile
well ive moved her from the window turned up the thermostat to 88f which is the higher end of wot the guy told me so i will e wot the temp is in the morning they have went up a bit hopefully the proper thermo strip will be in the post tomorrow should i stick that to the glass or the wood at the back? im guessin its meant to take readings from each end which it wont be able to do as its slidin glass doors, she cant be feelin to bad coz she actually in her hide at the cooler end not lyin on the mat itself? (yes tryin to reassure myseld :-( )
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  17:27:15  Show Profile
lay the thermometers on the substrate as near to the hides as poss. if you stick them on the sides of the viv it will not give you the temp in the hides. if you get me.
as for being in the cool end that is where chester alsways is.

p.s dont worry it may take a while to get the set up right and your corn will be fine.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2008 :  19:50:25  Show Profile
well i have put the thermostat on top of the newspaper and am goin to buy a digitl thermoter so hopefully she will be ok! she ate her 1st 2 fuzzies today no bother well after a bit of sniffin so im chuffed she is even in her new hide i bought her at the warm end :) its funny i got stuff for her at pets at home some meant for fish other hamsters!!
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2008 :  15:21:23  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
i get the branch parrot perches from pets at home my corns love them

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page