Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  23:39:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No, he had to be assisted again, I meant that he's too lazy to feed himself, I had to put the mouse in his mouth again!

Thanks anyway.

Shouldn't you be out probing?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  23:39:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No, he had to be assisted again, I meant that he's too lazy to feed himself, I had to put the mouse in his mouth again!

Thanks anyway.

Shouldn't you be out probing?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  17:54:17  Show Profile
with mine i have to annoy her with the mouse. tap her all over til she strikes.

last week wasnt interested at all so left it in her viv over nite, was still there in the morning so i thought i will take it out after work, but by the time i got home all gone.

yesterday she struck, constricted it tried to eat it from the middle and gave up.
got her to strike at it again then put her in her viv, after a few mins she left it. again got her to strike and managed to get her to bite the head witch she did and suddenly success. ate it all up.

wot a pain, but i love her...

Edited by - dazb on 04/08/2008 17:56:30
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  17:54:17  Show Profile
with mine i have to annoy her with the mouse. tap her all over til she strikes.

last week wasnt interested at all so left it in her viv over nite, was still there in the morning so i thought i will take it out after work, but by the time i got home all gone.

yesterday she struck, constricted it tried to eat it from the middle and gave up.
got her to strike at it again then put her in her viv, after a few mins she left it. again got her to strike and managed to get her to bite the head witch she did and suddenly success. ate it all up.

wot a pain, but i love her...

Edited by - dazb on 04/08/2008 17:56:30
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  18:11:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Great snakes aren't they, even if pains

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  18:11:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Great snakes aren't they, even if pains

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:33:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Rocky just struck!!!!!

I'm so happy

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:33:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Rocky just struck!!!!!

I'm so happy

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:43:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Make that twice! - 2 fuzzies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was ready for it the 2nd time, didn't need the change of underwear

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  22:43:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Make that twice! - 2 fuzzies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was ready for it the 2nd time, didn't need the change of underwear

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  00:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
One of my mates had a snake that refused to eat for ages, he tried everything as well, but he'd strike and constrict, then leave it. Very odd.
I told him to get as long a pair of gripper sticks (feeding tongs) as possible and hold the 'prey' by it's rear legs and tail stump and wiggle around, when the snake struck and constricted it i told him to keep the grip as long as possible and give it a wiggle as well as if was trying to escape.
That worked wonders for him, as the 'prey' only stopped trying to 'escape' when the snake had a firm grip over it's head, it chomped it down brilliantly then.
I've had to use this way of feeding in the past, and it's effective with stubborn snakes because the food, provided it's warmed, is obviously still alive to them, so they love it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/08/2008 00:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  00:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
One of my mates had a snake that refused to eat for ages, he tried everything as well, but he'd strike and constrict, then leave it. Very odd.
I told him to get as long a pair of gripper sticks (feeding tongs) as possible and hold the 'prey' by it's rear legs and tail stump and wiggle around, when the snake struck and constricted it i told him to keep the grip as long as possible and give it a wiggle as well as if was trying to escape.
That worked wonders for him, as the 'prey' only stopped trying to 'escape' when the snake had a firm grip over it's head, it chomped it down brilliantly then.
I've had to use this way of feeding in the past, and it's effective with stubborn snakes because the food, provided it's warmed, is obviously still alive to them, so they love it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/08/2008 00:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  08:08:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thankfully, once he struck they disappeared almost immediately

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  08:08:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thankfully, once he struck they disappeared almost immediately

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  08:52:06  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
my 2 royals have gone off their rats and mice, they will only take chicks

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  08:52:06  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
my 2 royals have gone off their rats and mice, they will only take chicks

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  09:32:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I've heard that once they get a taste for chicks its hard to get them back onto rats.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  09:32:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I've heard that once they get a taste for chicks its hard to get them back onto rats.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  15:19:11  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Nagini eats chicks and we've tried for years to get her onto rodents but she seems scared of them (yes, even the beast is afraid of something!)

Evra (the Royal) eats mice fine if we do the Kehhlyr trick. Letting them think the mouse is alive does work wonders.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  15:19:11  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Nagini eats chicks and we've tried for years to get her onto rodents but she seems scared of them (yes, even the beast is afraid of something!)

Evra (the Royal) eats mice fine if we do the Kehhlyr trick. Letting them think the mouse is alive does work wonders.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000