Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  23:37:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Queenie has taken 2 consecutive feeds now
I'm not handling him at all (which is a bit disappointing but seems to work for him) after his 1st successful feed since I got him, 5 days later I tried him again. Used the same routine that worked last time: hot white mouse, feeding around midnight, gently swinging it against his tail till he struck and constricted. He did the same - left it! So I tried him again, struck and constricted, 10 mins later he'd left it for a second time. So I left it in his RUB over night and it had gone by mid morning. Phew!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  23:48:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You swing it against his tail?

I'm having trouble with Rocky feeding, so I'm thinkink about stopping handling him, but he seems to love to be handled :(

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  23:48:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
You swing it against his tail?

I'm having trouble with Rocky feeding, so I'm thinkink about stopping handling him, but he seems to love to be handled :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  10:00:17  Show Profile
Good he should start to get into a routine now.

I explained about a tail tapping technique with corn snakes who are reluctant to feed on another thread. I then realized the thread was about royal pythons as I had got confused with the whole thread & it was late lol !

If not - oh well
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  10:00:17  Show Profile
Good he should start to get into a routine now.

I explained about a tail tapping technique with corn snakes who are reluctant to feed on another thread. I then realized the thread was about royal pythons as I had got confused with the whole thread & it was late lol !

If not - oh well
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  19:36:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
ok, help here please.

I tried your tail tapping technique last night, but no interest. Brained the fuzzy and left it in overnight and it was still there this morning. On Thursday Rocky will not have eaten for 3 weeks (he did shed last week). I know that's not a long time, but he has only fed with me with assisted feeding and I want to get out of that if possible.

I know some have mentioned not handling him, but he loves to be handled, in fact he is up at the top of the Viv now, just looking at me.

:(

Help.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  19:36:37  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
ok, help here please.

I tried your tail tapping technique last night, but no interest. Brained the fuzzy and left it in overnight and it was still there this morning. On Thursday Rocky will not have eaten for 3 weeks (he did shed last week). I know that's not a long time, but he has only fed with me with assisted feeding and I want to get out of that if possible.

I know some have mentioned not handling him, but he loves to be handled, in fact he is up at the top of the Viv now, just looking at me.

:(

Help.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  19:59:16  Show Profile
Have you tried rubbing a day old chick on the mouse?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  19:59:16  Show Profile
Have you tried rubbing a day old chick on the mouse?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  20:09:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Nope, will see if one of my local shops stocks them. Thanks.

In the meantime, any more ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  20:09:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Nope, will see if one of my local shops stocks them. Thanks.

In the meantime, any more ideas?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  20:41:58  Show Profile
Have you warmed the mouse up a bit?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  20:41:58  Show Profile
Have you warmed the mouse up a bit?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  20:47:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, have tried warming the whole mouse and just the head, braining, dangling, dragging across the bottom of the viv, different sized mice and last night, tail-tapping.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  20:47:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, have tried warming the whole mouse and just the head, braining, dangling, dragging across the bottom of the viv, different sized mice and last night, tail-tapping.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  20:48:23  Show Profile
try dark coloured mice. Gerbils are their natural food source buy some of those. Definately try to handle less. It's not worth risking your snakes health. try gently pressing the mouse against the snakes lips/mouth. As you do this again gently wiggle the mouses nose & try to push into the snakes mouth & see if the snake takes over. It may take a few attempts. It will help to use long forceps holding the mouse behind the head.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  20:48:23  Show Profile
try dark coloured mice. Gerbils are their natural food source buy some of those. Definately try to handle less. It's not worth risking your snakes health. try gently pressing the mouse against the snakes lips/mouth. As you do this again gently wiggle the mouses nose & try to push into the snakes mouth & see if the snake takes over. It may take a few attempts. It will help to use long forceps holding the mouse behind the head.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  21:31:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm sure he would eat if I assisted him like that, that's how I've done it before. He just won't eat if left to his own devices. Do you think I should do that tonight, he's very active, I guess looking for food, or leave it a bit longer after he refused last night?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  21:31:21  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm sure he would eat if I assisted him like that, that's how I've done it before. He just won't eat if left to his own devices. Do you think I should do that tonight, he's very active, I guess looking for food, or leave it a bit longer after he refused last night?

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  21:33:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
The tail tapping lasted a few minutes before Queenie struck at the mouse. After the 2 attempts I ended up leaving it there overnight and and he ate it by about 11am the next day. I'm not handling him at all at the minute even though he seemed to enjoy being handled and exploring new places. I've only successfully fed him with a small mouse although I did try fuzzies before.
At 4 weeks without a feed I was starting to research assist feeding but fortunately not had to do that yet, keep me posted on Rocky Blackecho

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  21:33:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
The tail tapping lasted a few minutes before Queenie struck at the mouse. After the 2 attempts I ended up leaving it there overnight and and he ate it by about 11am the next day. I'm not handling him at all at the minute even though he seemed to enjoy being handled and exploring new places. I've only successfully fed him with a small mouse although I did try fuzzies before.
At 4 weeks without a feed I was starting to research assist feeding but fortunately not had to do that yet, keep me posted on Rocky Blackecho

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000