Ripping skin
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  15:57:37  Show Profile

Hey all, I'm new to this whole forum thing, so I'll be to the point, my corn Mojo is eating his fluffies (1 a week) fine and appears to be active and extremely healthy, however I've noticed that he isn't shedding as often as he used to and he appears to have damaged scales on him and there are parts that look as if the skin is actually tearing off of him, I'm really worried because he's only a year old, but last year i had a baby corn that died within the 2 months i had him! I'm really worried and whether its me being a hypacondriac i dont no, but he's my baby and i just want to know he's ok!!! hope someone can answer - any ideas??? Thanks a billion!!

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  16:00:18  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
if he does`nt shed in one piece try to moisten him abit when his eyes go blue

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  16:07:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How long since he shed?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  16:09:54  Show Profile
It's been a month, but before that he used to shed once a month without fail, n when he shed, he did it properly, no ripping and it all came off in 1 piece although he should've shed by now, thanx for any advice you can give!!!

*m0j0*

Edited by - n/a on 12/07/2008 16:52:29
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  16:11:17  Show Profile
I mean its not that he isnt shedding - its not that that worries me its the fact that hes nopt even trying to shed, but he has more that 4 damaged scales and his skin is tearing!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  16:19:59  Show Profile
Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  16:39:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried bathing him in warm water?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  17:37:30  Show Profile
A baby will shed about 8 times in a year so that's about once every 6 weeks. When they shed it also repairs the skin remooves wounds over time & even reduces scarring too. mites can also be shed away. I would say - with out a picture - that after a couple of sheds the snake will be ok.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  21:38:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
depending on his age 1 fluff might not be enough for him so his growth will slow down meaning he doesn't need to shed as often. My adult corns have a damp hide in the 'hot' end - a seedling tray with damp vermiculite and a slate over the top - all year round to aid shedding. If they don't want to use it they have the option of a warm dry hide too.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  08:14:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Aye, if they're not growing they won't need to shed as often, are they exercising more than before?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  17:34:10  Show Profile
I am being toatlly sincere when i say this - but how do you exercise a snake?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  17:35:46  Show Profile
Btw thnx 4 al ur hlp - uv been awsum!!! im gona go n tlk 2 the reptile shop owner 2 c if thers anythin i cn do (luyk increase feedin etc!!!)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  18:36:43  Show Profile
What are the cage temps at each end where the hides are ?

do you provide a damp hide ?

Snakes wont shed every month for the rest of their lives.

They grow thrroughout their lives until they die but you wont notice when they get older it slows so much.

After a year you could be looking at every 6 to 8 weeks. I wouldn't worry you cant stop a snake from shedding it will shed when it's ready.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  21:24:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mojos Mum

I am being toatlly sincere when i say this - but how do you exercise a snake?

Getting them out of the viv more, handling them more, maybe letting them swim, climb stairs etc.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  23:05:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Yeah swimming's good just make sure you block the overflow with something (sponge?) and keep an eye on them for climbing the plug chain. It's also good for egg-bound females - Birch retained an egg after laying, so I let her have a swim one evening and by the next morning she'd popped it out.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  10:47:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

Yeah swimming's good.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  10:48:56  Show Profile
the only problem is that ive never had to bathe him before and i think putting him in the water might frighten him!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  11:11:14  Show Profile
corn snakes can swim so he wont drown especially if only a couple of inches deep in the bath. keep the water tepid just below what feels warm to the touch.

Edited by - n/a on 14/07/2008 11:12:05
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  18:47:22  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
He'll love it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000