New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  07:30:06  Show Profile
Hi everyone!

I wanted to ask some of the old timers for advice. My corn, Boomer, used to be very active in the evening, always rampaging around her viv, climbing the glass, and generally seeming quite happy. Over the last few months, however, she's become a lot more reclusive, and in the evening will just sit in her hide with her head poking out, completely still. As soon as the lights go out and my good lady and I leave the room, she's almost immediately out and about again.

She never used to be this way - even with the living room lamps on, she was quite happy to roam around, and was never shy about us being in the room woth her.

Has anyone else experienced a similar change? I should point out that she's now about 18 months old, and has no problems feeding - if anything, she seems a bit more ravenous than normal...

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Ivan

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  10:24:39  Show Profile
Try either upping to the next size food item or feed two of whatever she's currently eating, rather than one.

What is she currently eating & how often ?

I wouldn't have thought she would be ovulating at a young age although possible it's unlikely.

Sometimes when they feel the need to want more than the current food they're being offered they will roam more in search of food/prey. I think you may see a change inher if this is the issue.

Edited by - n/a on 09/07/2008 10:24:57
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  17:33:37  Show Profile
Thanks for the rapid response moneymaker!

She's taking two small mice every seven to ten days. I have been wondering about taking her up to 1-2 medium mice - I might take her down to my local dealer, and ask their advice, she if she's ready for that. There isn't much of a bulge with the two smalls, and she wolfs them down pretty darn fast, so it might be that.

As I say though, she's roaming a lot less than she used to, at least when the lights are on, and she seems to be sleeping almost exclusively on the cool side throughout the day. I've been wondering if the hide on the warm side is maybe a little small for her now.

Cheers,
Ivan
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  17:38:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How big is she and how big is the viv?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  17:39:34  Show Profile
I have had EXACTLY the same thing. I'm sure shes on the right size mice (large) but she just isn't interested in moving around at all. Shes mostly on the cool side aswell but the temps are fine. (i think she prefers one hide from the other).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  19:06:00  Show Profile
Blackecho: She's about 3 foot(ish), and the viv is also a 3 footer.

matty: same here - temps are fine, so I'm thinking of getting a matching exo terra hide for the other side, see if she starts using both of them.

Maybe it's the terrible teens or something!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  19:14:17  Show Profile
at 3ft I would say go up to mediums but it's not really the length to go by it's the snakes girth. If the prey item is not more than 1.5 times the girth at the snakes widest part then all should be ok. Try one medium first if the snake takes that easy you could either give a small as well or just give another medium. You will have to judge by your snakes response so this is where you will get to know your snake some more as some may refuse completely the first time & will need encouraging. Even the colour of the mice sometimes can put them off, I know some of mine wouldn't eat black or brown mice, only white.

Try one medium, then if the snake hangs around try another - either a small or another medium. If the snake is taking the food with ease then definately sounds like it time to move up ^

Edited by - n/a on 09/07/2008 19:16:17
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  19:14:46  Show Profile
I have one flower pot hide and a sort of enclosed area with an drooping plant curtain if you get the idea. Shes in the flower pot at the moment (hot end) but i think she much prefers the slightly more open hid-type-thing in the cool end. I m thinking about taking the flower pot out and rebuilding the viv again but i dont want to then realise she liked it better before!

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  19:42:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Can't see anything obvious, are you handling them less than before?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  20:17:20  Show Profile
Aha, therein lies the rub. Because I don't like lifting her hide off to take her out, I usually wait until she's out and about, open the viv, and let her scoot up my arm. Unfortunately, now that she's not coming out of her own accord, I'm handling her less - which I'm worried might be making her even more shy!

I'm definitely going to try her on a medium, and see how she gets on with that. I want to get some branches in there as well to give her a bit more enrichment.

Thanks for all your advice folks, I really appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  20:23:42  Show Profile
Bloody hell, you are identicle to me! I normaly let her come out on her own accord cos i dont like to lift her hide out and disturb her = less handling = more reluctant to come out of hides...thanks for that Blackecho, that wouldnt have occured to me for a long time. I will probs get her out in the next hour.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  20:49:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No probs, good luck you two.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  21:43:43  Show Profile
A happy ending lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  22:00:21  Show Profile
Thanks again everyone - Boomer just got fed last night, so I'll get her out tomorrow, see how she behaves.

Ahh, the internet - like having a panel of consultants at your disposal!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  20:16:05  Show Profile
So how did it go ?

Any improvement ?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2008 :  08:10:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Perhaps he was eaten.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  16:35:15  Show Profile
Ivan are you still with us ? Lol.

(wasn't it scott with the washing up gloves?)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  21:33:59  Show Profile
Sorry about that chaps, I am in fact still alive!!

I've just finisheda full "reinstall" as it were - cleaning all the furniture and the viv, fresh substrate, and rearranged everything. I also attached a long needed habistat mat-stat to the heat mat, to better regulate the temps. She's been on the rampage since I put her back in, including her usual "marking the territory".

With any luck, this wee bit of disruption might cheer her up a bit, and I'll make sure and handle her every night. With any luck, things will be back to normal in no time.

Cheers!
Ivan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  21:39:56  Show Profile
good luck hope all goes well.

It's sometimes good to re-arrange the entire viv if possible every 6 to 12 months to allow the snake, lizard, etc to explore & think it's in a new environment. It's good enrichment & can allow for new territories to be set up & a possible change in behaviour. Even buying new decor like extra plants or a new hide may be good for their long term health to reduce boredom & stress.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  21:57:25  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good news Ivan, glad she's out and about.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000