New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  23:45:37  Show Profile
Hi Hope you guys and gals can help me please
We got our Ghost corn on Sunday she is 9 months old and had last fed according to the record card that came with her on the 20th of may 1 rat pup. unfortunatley we did not read the record ourselves what dummies. But anyhow the guy in the shop said it was eating well and was on two fluffs?. On the shop advice we brought her home set up the viv. Temps all good cool end and warm at between 75 and 80. We fed her out of the viv in a tub the two fluff mice the guy said she was eating. No problems both were taken very well. We left her quiet for about half an hour and without touching her as she was a bit agitated put her back in the viv. She roamed around searching for more than half an hour and regurgitated both fluff mice.

What should we do?

Anxious new mum

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  06:46:43  Show Profile
check your temps both hot & cool ends are 75 - 80*F ? Try to create a temp gradient so the cool end is lower than the hot end. 30*C for the hot end is hot enough & around 24*C for the cool end. It could be something else or a combination, but as in your post you mentioned about temps this is what i thought of first. It could also be that the 2 fuzzys are too much for the snake to handle so maybe try one next time, but not for about another week now.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  08:35:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I would leave her a week then try again, but maybe only one fluff like Moneymaker suggests.

Be warned though, re-gurging isn't a very good sign so you might have to take her to the vets if she shows any signs of deterioration

Hopefully it will be nothing major and she's not eating properly because she's not settled in.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  13:38:49  Show Profile
This happened to me with my Cali King a few weeks ago. I know it is alarming. Fortunately he is now back to eating adult mice. I followed the following advice:

1. Do not feed him for 7-10 days, or disturb him during this time, other than to check he is well and to his change water bowl.
2. Feed a much reduced meal size next time (I fed a pinkie).
3. If he keeps it down increase the next meal size a week later.
4. Build up to normal food size again (2 fluffs in your snakes case).

This is the advice also of Kathy Love, a well known Corn breeder in the states.

If he shows any signs of ill health take him to the vets. Mine was fine in all other respects, in fact he was very lively and on the look out for food for most of his convalesence! I put my snakes regurgitation down to "one of those things" and it hopefully it will not happen again.

Try and get your viv temperature gradient up to 70-88 F (21-31 C). Snakes need a warm environment to digest.

Good luck.

0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chicomecoatl (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  14:05:07  Show Profile
Thanks for your replys, Sorry more questions - how do I get the temp up when only using a heatmat? and how do I know if she is ill? She is housed in the living room, could it be to busy for her as she only comes out when the telly is off and the room quiet. Should I move her to a different part of the house until she has settled in?

Have put in a cardboard tube and she was curled up inside this morning .... bless
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  15:21:52  Show Profile
A quieter room may help it's worth a try. Do you use a thermostat ? what size is the heat mat ? what size is the viv ? is the heat mat the only heat source - or do have a lamp/ceramic too ?

If you don't have a 'stat' then you need one to control the temp in the viv to make sure that you can create a constant temp at the hot end, but at a reasonable level. The 'stat' will turn off when the desired temp is reached & back on again when the sensor probe detects the temp is dropping again maintaining the temp constantly. Also the temp markings on the stat are not what the actual temp readings will be in the viv you will need to measure the temps (hot end/cool end) with a thermometer either a laser or LC strip (dials are supposedly inaccurate). so the stat might be set to 26*C for a day time hot temp for it to cut out, but the thermometer might read 30*C. This is because it depends on the size of the viv, the type of heat source being used & where you position the sensor probe.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  14:01:41  Show Profile
Fed succesfully last night just one fluff, fed her in the viv and at night when the kids were in bed. I think she just was'nt settled, she is still quite nervous but feel happier now she has had a feed. I don't have a thermostat so will be investing in one, does any one know a good reptile shop in the Dudley/Birmigham area for supplies?.
The viv is one of those flat plastic sort with two doors in the lid. It was what they were selling as a starter kit, is this the best thing to start with? The heat mat covers two thirds of the bottom of the viv and the thermometer is at the warm end reading approx 75F dont know what the cool end is will need to get another thermometer. Thanks moneymaker for your advice and to Mancunian for yours as it stopped me panicking so much. She loves the cardboard tube and has spent most of the last week hiding there, not bothered with the expensive rock hide since the tube landed!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  17:08:03  Show Profile
What size is the critter cage you have ?

Have you tried looking online for supplies ?

Hopefully your snake will start to feed more regular now & like you said it may be just where it was settling in still.

you say the heatmat is 2/3 across bottom of viv but the temp is only 75*F hot end ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  19:22:06  Show Profile
The plastic cage thing is made by exoterra and is a faunarium? 17" x 12" x 6"
not looked online not sure where to start!
yep heat mat across 2/3 and temp at 75*F is this not hot enough?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  21:08:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I thought as a rough guide heat mats should cover about 1/3 of the viv/faunarium so the snake has a warm end and a cooler end. Also check where you've got your thermometer - if it reads 75deg and it's half way up the side of the viv it's probably 80deg where your snake actually is. If you get a thermostat the probe should be in the warm end near where the snake/hide is but check it with a thermometer too. Hope she's ok!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2008 :  16:47:49  Show Profile
How's everything going with your set up ?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000