? hatchlings living together
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  21:58:32  Show Profile
Hi I have just reserved a hatchling who I can bring home in a couple of weeks. There is some disagreement between the family as to which morph we should have chosen. I am in agreement that we can have two and solve the feud. However is this a good idea. There is conflicting information so I thought I would seek your views. The one we have selected is male.

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  22:18:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes you can house them together (I'm presuming they are living together currently), but feed them separately.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  22:53:21  Show Profile
Hi all the breeders hatchlings are housed in separate tubs. They were hatched at beginning of June so still really young. If it was possible I was presuming it would best to introduce them really early on. Wilst waiting for a reply I found a similar topic on here. If the other was a female would this cause problems. I don't really mind what sex they are, just want them to be happy together.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  23:08:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
there's a few threads about co-habiting and viv sharing on here. Most of mine double up - the adults Birch and Spruce were introduced to each other as adults and get on fine, the youngsters Petal and Peachy are fine together but I'll keep them hot over winter and separate them early next year as ideally they're too young to breed but would probably try lol!
I'm sorry I've no experience with co habiting hatchlings, but I'm sure everyone will put their 2 penneth in on here

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 07/07/2008 23:09:51
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:52:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Introduce them and just keep an eye on them. Obviously if you didn't want the hassle of them trying to breed, then 2 males would be better.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  15:23:25  Show Profile
i would not go for 2 males together in case they get territorial. go for 2 females if possible.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:58:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I only said 2 males as they had already decided on getting one male. Two females would be ideal.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  14:49:46  Show Profile
Hmm that is something to think about. I presumed that if they were brought up together and there were no females to fight over, that they would be OK. The breeder told me that a male would be better as a pet although there was little difference.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  16:22:25  Show Profile
i was given a male but im starting to think that shops push males to new owners cos females are more desireable cos of breeding and multiple houseing.
wot you guys think???

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  17:44:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I think that as long as they are brought together when young they will be fine, I know many people that house males from the same clutch together.

Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  18:01:27  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
they should be fine but feed seperate, but always have a spare container just in case

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  21:07:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

i was given a male but im starting to think that shops push males to new owners cos females are more desireable cos of breeding and multiple houseing.
wot you guys think???

think you could be right! my local rep shop sells adult females within days of getting them in, adult males could be there weeks or even months.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  16:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I thought hatchlings couldn't be kept together because they can have cannibalistic tendencies? I would leave them separate until they are a bit older. Yearlings should be alright together though.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  17:31:59  Show Profile
I did see a horrific picture in a book showing loads of hatchlings kept together and one had eaten another. Thats why I thought I would ask. There seems to be posts about older snakes but not hatchlings living together. I did assume about separate feeding but wondered whether been roomies would be a problem. I have a large faunarium with compartments so keeping them separate is easily done I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  17:46:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Very unusual for Corns, obviously something like a King would need to be separate.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  18:25:19  Show Profile
I've seen a pic of a corn snake eating itself ! lol, the tail in it's mouth & ended up choking to death.

I think the pic is on Kathy Loves site.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  19:23:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The definition of infinity.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000