confused about feeding
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  11:33:41  Show Profile

Hiya guys.. right im a bit confused. Ive been reading up about feeding and ive read somewhere that you should take the snake out of the viv to feed, otherwise when you put your hand in to clean or get the snake out it will think your hand is food! but then again ive seen videos of ppl feeding there snakes in there viv!!
Which is the right way?
I havnt had him long and he was fed b4 i got him so he wont b due just yet.

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  12:53:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Both my snakes are fed in their Vivs and I've never had a problem with them thinking I'm food. I always use tweezers rather than my fingers though.

The issue that people also raise about feeding in their viv is that some substrate may stick to the food and be injested, which can be dangerous.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  13:45:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I feed mine out of the viv for the 'confusing your hand with food' reason and so they don't swallow any substrate that sticks to the mouse. As most of mine are paired up it also lets each snake eat without being intimidated or the other snake nicking it's mouse or worse they both go for the same one!! I also use BBQ tongs (much cheaper than proper reptile feeding tweezers) as the adults are pretty fast strike-feeders and I'm a chicken!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

236 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  19:16:36  Show Profile
All of ours are fed outside their vivs for the same reason, apart from one youngster who will only feed if you leave the pinky in with him and turn the lights out. Hoping he will eventually relax enough to come out and feed.

4.2.0 dogs
1.1.0 cats
25.8.34 bettas
2.2.0 corn
1.1.0 brb
1.0.0 teenager
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

109 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  19:27:36  Show Profile
Synyster is also fed out of his viv, but wont take from tongs so we put him in a tub with the pinky then we cover the tub and leave him for 5 mins. This is the only way he will eat at the mo!
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:49:00  Show Profile
i used to feed mine inside wen he was small but now take him out.
used to use shredded paper as substrate as this is wot i was advised. on watching him feed i once saw him ingest a small strip as it was stuck to the pinky. tryed to remove it but couldnt so he ate that aswell.
now i take him out and put him on a table and make him hunt for it by dragging the fuzzy about and letting him find it which i think he enjoys.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  22:52:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I used to feed mine in a big-ish Really Useful box until I converted it to a RUB for Queenie, now I just use a cardboard box with some newspaper in the bottom - you don't need anything flash to feed them in!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  23:37:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I might have to start doing that, just to avoid the risk of ingesting substrate.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  12:13:48  Show Profile
THANKS for all your replies..I think when he is ready for his next feed i will put him in an old fish tank i have as i'm useing pine substate!
I'm not so keen on the idea that he MAY confuse my hand for food so i'll stick to the safest way for him and me lol
THANKS GUYS
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  14:25:24  Show Profile
Isn't pine poisonous ? Aswell as Cedar.

http://www.anapsid.org/cedar2.html

Edited by - n/a on 07/07/2008 14:28:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  16:26:09  Show Profile
Just asked my partner what the substrate were useing is.. and he said it was beech wood!! The guy at the pet shop told him this was ok to use!
Would you say its ok to use moneymaker
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  17:43:08  Show Profile
beech will be fine yeah
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  18:26:30  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Phew! - lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  09:55:10  Show Profile
GREAT THANKYOU
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  10:41:18  Show Profile
off the top of my head i think most (if not all ?) fruit tree branches are safe as decor too.

If you were interested ?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  17:55:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Thats good to know, cheers

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:12:47  Show Profile
I think i will also start feeding mine out of the viv as i dont like him eating the substrate with the mouse. I'm using hemp chips BTW

1.0.0 Corn (Kirk)

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  21:21:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I have half the viv in Aspen and half in Orchid.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000