snakes and pregnant humans
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  20:59:51  Show Profile
A have recntly acquired a 1 year old female corn snake. She seems perfectly healthy, but my wife, who is 7 months pregnant, is worried about touching or handling her in case of transferable illness or parasite that could affect her pregnancy. I think her worries are probably groundless, but does anyone know anything about this? I would imagine that my snake is probably more hygienic than a dog or cat, for instance, but I am new to snake keeping. I can't find anything relating to this in the Bill Love manual.

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  21:52:44  Show Profile
I work at a farm/zoo and I know sheep have this issue when they are pregnant (i cant remember what its called). If you cant gather anymore information i would recommend that your wife doesnt go near the snake until she gives birth. Congradulations on the baby!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  22:02:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
I had no problems handling my snakes while I was pregnant. And could get absolutely no advice regarding any risks from my midwife. there is potentially a salmonella risk with snakes kept in a humid environment but that doesn't apply to corns.
Congrats on the pregnancy

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  22:14:44  Show Profile
thanks for the responses (and congrats). She's going to ask the midwife at the next appointment.
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1400 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  00:59:37  Show Profile  Click to see saddleninja's MSN Messenger address  Send saddleninja a Yahoo! Message
wash hands after handling them and she should be fine

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals

1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page