New Viv
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  19:10:04  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi, I'm about to get a new viv, which will be wooden, rather than Wiggle's current glass one as she has out-grown it.

With the glass one I have been using a heat-mat under the viv, but with the wooden one I am going to hang a lamp.

Suggestions of Wattage/type/where to get said lamp/holder/cage would be great cheers.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  19:18:34  Show Profile
A 40w or 60w incandescent bulb should be fine as a heat source or a 60w ceramic. They will need a guard fitted which ever you choose to use to prevent the snake from burning itself.

use a ceramic fitting rather than plastic as it lasts longer especially if you're going to choose a ceramic bulb.

a thermosat will need to be used to control the bulb, but you could use the heatmat instead as the snakes dont often bask in the sun & get their heat from the ground.

what size is the viv ?

what size is the heatmat ?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  19:25:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The Viv will be a 36 x 22.5 x 20.5

The heat-mat I have is too small for the new viv.

Are there any benefits between incandescent and ceramic?

Are there any good (cheap) online shops rather than my local reptile shop who seem to see me coming!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  19:49:58  Show Profile
ceramic gets very very hot but with a guard no problem. Doesn't produce light where as the incandescent does. the only annoying thing with the incandescent bulb is it will go on & off with the temp when the sensor reacts to the setting. a 8w - 10w flouresecrnt strip light would be nice for viewing your snake & can bring out the colour better, it would only be similar to sun light so the snake wont be stressed by it. they sell them in B&Q for £10-£15.

is the mat 6" x 11" ? if yes then you can still use it, but it's up to you like I said belly heat is better for the snake.

link for cheap vivs;

http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk/vivarium-plants-369-c.asp

equipment;

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/reptilecollection.php?pageNum_master1products=7&totalRows_master1products=38&category=lizards
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  20:06:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'm not going to argue with you over the best heating method, you seem to know what you're talking about. Would 6 x 11 really be big enough, it would only go half-way back?

What do you think about heating rocks?

Thanks for the links.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  20:17:51  Show Profile
To answer the second question, the heating rocks arnt used much with snakes. Apparently they brake easily and can badly burn the snake.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

891 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  20:31:44  Show Profile
I meant the heatmat would help with the bulb too. You could put a hide on the heatmat so it is hot & humid when the snake goes inside. But no it wont heat the whole viv lol.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  21:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good, thought I was going mental then, thanks for your help again, both of you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000